The Mad Men Thread - Final Episodes April 5th

Crazyman

Triple post, guest who has a Don Draper avatar and doesn't care!

I hate the on-the-nose dialogue beginning with season 6, but otherwise this was a great opener, imo.

Lots of un-answered questions, and some new one's were created with this episode. I have to say, this may have intrigued me more than any other Mad Men "season" opener since Season 4.

I'm still confused on how this episode has been pinpointed to being April 1970.

That's the time given so far, but I've yet to see the proof on it.

Confused, but I fucking love it!

Edit: The speech from Nixon is from April 30th, 1970.

Edited by Crazyman

I loved the themes of "lives not lived" and the idea that no one on that show ever changes.

Don thinking about his life with Rachel, but then he just goes off and does the old Don thing of meaningless, empty relationships. It was funny that peggy's passport was in her office and not at home. Its like she'd rather keep important stuff at the office since that's her life. Ken had a chance to get out and instead he took another opportunity just for spite.

Basically people on this show have learned nothing. Also, I think, as the song said, there was a "is this all there is?" vibe to it. Like Don kept wondering if all the BS he's pulled over the years to get to this point was actually worth it. Pete was treating his new found money like a burden. Joan pretty much has everything she wants but still has to deal with scummy dudes all the time. It's like, the characters got what they thought they wanted and they still aren't happy. As Bert said "the best things in life are free." Kinda jarring honestly

• Like 1

Did anyone get a Twilight Zone feeling from that episode?

Also I didn't put this together, but that's what reddit is for:

https://youtu.be/vth-_kx6k1Q?t=1911

Don says "this is it, this is all there is" to Rachel in season 1

From the pilot: "She won't get married because she's never been in love. I think I wrote that to sell nylons." ...Guess what Don is calling Rachel to talk about in the most recent episode?

#madmeninception

In his dream, Rachel says to Don 'you missed your flight'...

Hmm...Meaning perhaps his chance with her?

His chance at genuine happiness?

His way out of being "Don Draper" and all that entails.

They say a man brings himself everywhere he goes....What does Don Draper - beneath the cool veneer and the identity he artificially made- bring?

Is Don Draper all there is to Dick Whitman?

• 3 weeks later...

That was the best episode of Mad Men I've seen since season 5. Absolutely incredible. If that wasn't enough, some of the cast were quoted as saying the next episode, "Lost Horizon" (also the movie Don watches in the first episode of the season) is one of the best of the show.

My prediction going forward:

Don is going to Coca-Cola. Some of the most famous advertising campaigns were created for Coke in the early 70's. Guess who is gonna make them?

Although it wouldn't surprise me if he quits advertising in general.

That was the best episode of Mad Men I've seen since season 5. Absolutely incredible. If that wasn't enough, some of the cast were quoted as saying the next episode, "Lost Horizon" (also the movie Don watches in the first episode of the season) is one of the best of the show.

Don is going to Coca-Cola. Some of the most famous advertising campaigns were created for Coke in the early 70's. Guess who is gonna make them?

Thought it was an excellent episode as well. Good guesses on the future too. If nothing else, I'm anxious too see how everyone ends up.

Thought it was an excellent episode as well. Good guesses on the future too. If nothing else, I'm anxious too see how everyone ends up.

The inter-connectivity of this show is incredible. I can name about 10-20 direct references to past episodes in each of the episodes this "season". Yet I have no idea where the hell this show is heading with 3 episodes left :lol:

• Like 1

All you DB Cooper theorists, this episode was for you.

I'm not sure that's how it will end, but I know Matt Weiner likes to cupcake people with this kind of stuff. Particularly with Megan and the Manson family.

2 episodes to go!

Another solid episode. Not sure if it's as great as the cast was claiming ahead of time, but still solid.

I'm really invested in what's going to happen to Joan.

Yeah the people who play Roger and Peggy (John Slattery and Elisabeth Moss) made it seem like that would be the best episode of the series. I understand why, considering their scenes, but I wouldn't put that in the top 10.

Not sure if the spoiler tag is even needed, but I have a feeling Joan's storyline is done. Maybe they'll check up on her but I don't think she'll take up a lot of time anymore.

Another solid episode. Not sure if it's as great as the cast was claiming ahead of time, but still solid.

Yeah the people who play Roger and Peggy (John Slattery and Elisabeth Moss) made it seem like that would be the best episode of the series. I understand why, considering their scenes, but I wouldn't put that in the top 10.

Not sure if the spoiler tag is even needed, but I have a feeling Joan's storyline is done. Maybe they'll check up on her but I don't think she'll take up a lot of time anymore.

Hmmmm, I thought there might be more to explore with Joan.

I just don't see her taking the buy out. I feel like she might raise hell and that might end poorly for her.

I just don't see her taking the buy out. I feel like she might raise hell and that might end poorly for her.

They may go that route, but the preview (which admittedly is not a good source) seem to harp on Betty/Henry and Sally and Pete's storyline. Don's not even in the preview, although he's in the synopsis. The title of the episode gives a clue to what Don's probably going to do.

God damn though, Roger playing the organ while Peggy skates around the office? Peggy showing up to McCann like a boss?! Space Oddity over the credits? I liked last week's episode more, but I'm enjoying the end so far

Edit: I didn't even mention the return of Ghost-Cooper :lol:

Edited by Crazyman

They may go that route, but the preview (which admittedly is not a good source) seem to harp on Betty/Henry and Sally and Pete's storyline. Don's not even in the preview, although he's in the synopsis. The title of the episode gives a clue to what Don's probably going to do.

God damn though, Roger playing the organ while Peggy skates around the office? Peggy showing up to McCann like a boss?! Space Oddity over the credits? I liked last week's episode more, but I'm enjoying the end so far

I absolutely LOVED

Peggy walking in like a complete bad ass.
Maybe the episode was better than I gave it credit for lol

I absolutely LOVED

Peggy walking in like a complete bad ass.
Maybe the episode was better than I gave it credit for lol

I just re-watched the episode and I agree, it's actually a lot better than I gave it credit for. I also think the conversation Don has in the car is the clue to where the show is gonna go for the last two episodes.

So far, this is one of the better seasons of the show.

I agree. I didn't like the Megan episode, but aside from that this season has been great.

Edit: I love reading the AV Club reviews but they gave the Megan episode an A and the last two episodes an A- ...I don't get that at all :lol:

Edited by Crazyman

Probably still won't know how it's gonna end after next week's episode too :lol:

Although with that being said, the title of the next episode is "The Milk and Honey Route" and...

Was a story written in the 30's and also hobo slang for a railroad line. You can read it here, though the last paragraph is probably the one most relating to what might happen to Don:
The road the real hobo follows is never ending. It is always heading into the sunset of promise but it never fully keeps its promise. Thus the road the hobo roams always beckons him on, much as does the undealt card in a game of stud. Every new bend of the road is disillusioning but never disappointing, so that once you get the spirit of the hobo you never reach the stone wall of utter disillusionment. You follow on hopefully from one bend of the road to another, until in the end you step off the cliff

Edited by Crazyman