Classical vs. Jazz

Georgy Zhukov

Music  

19 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Yes, I wasn't talking about who plays it.

C'mon don't be like that, there is absolutely a large minority (specifically black) appreciation for jazz. It's roots are in the blues, SOME jazz is only listened to white pretentious people, but a lot of jazz is culturally infused to the "black experience" so to say.

Yes, I wasn't talking about who plays it.

C'mon don't be like that, there is absolutely a large minority (specifically black) appreciation for jazz. It's roots are in the blues, SOME jazz is only listened to white pretentious people, but a lot of jazz is culturally infused to the "black experience" so to say.

I know but I live in Melbourne, Australia. Here it's only pretentious white people that dig it. We don't have pockets of cool Black folk around here. :lol:
  • Like 1

Guest Len B'stard

Can't choose between the two, amazing in their own way. Probably listened to more jazz in my life, Charlie Parker, John Coltrane, Thelonious Monk, Earl Bostic, loads of that shit but i understand the value of classical and really, quite frankly, in terms of impact on the history of music, fuckin' classical all day long and thats above and beyond any other kind of fuckin' music, if you really get into classical you actually come to understand how fuckin' thick rock n roll is. Not that it doesn't have it's own subtle complexities but nothing in terms of classical music.

Can't choose between the two, amazing in their own way. Probably listened to more jazz in my life, Charlie Parker, John Coltrane, Thelonious Monk, Earl Bostic, loads of that shit but i understand the value of classical and really, quite frankly, in terms of impact on the history of music, fuckin' classical all day long and thats above and beyond any other kind of fuckin' music, if you really get into classical you actually come to understand how fuckin' thick rock n roll is. Not that it doesn't have it's own subtle complexities but nothing in terms of classical music.

LOVE The Monk. I agree, Classical has its merits and its fans, but personally I'm more likely to purchase a Jazz record than i am a Classical record

Guest Len B'stard

Classical. More straight out dramatic and easy to comprehend.

Jazz by and large is quite self-indulgent and quite often elitist.

I've always found both of them quite difficult to understand but Classical is certainly just as self indulgent and elitist y'know. I mean take something like the ring cycle (more an opera, granted) thats about as self indulgent as you can get. But yeah, jazz can be pretty like that too.

To be honest they are two forms of music that I am interested in greatly but i don't really have a deep deep understanding of them, I listen to them in a context of like, i just kinda let em wash over me? Especially so with jazz, just sit back and enjoy it and not get so hung up on which song is this etc etc, being something of a working class pleb its difficult for me to remember songs that are just instrumental and based around the same kinda instruments, getting better at it though.

Jazz is great but it has to have a bit of snap to it.