Ellen Page comes out as gay

PappyTron

The big deal about this is that it was at a human rights conference where she was kinda giving a shout out to people where it could have an impact. Fucking good on her as far as I'm concerned. :)

Human rights conference? Ummm .... no. She came out at a conference specifically for LGBTQ youth only.

Well that teaches me to read more than the first paragraph of a news story in future. :lol:

Lenny I think the point most everyone gets is that the sexual preference of an actress is no longer newsworthy, because society is well beyond that now.

Unfortunately no it's not

that's the point

Everybody's opinion is different as far as whether or not society has advanced far enough with regard to acceptance, just like some people will believe society is racist until there are absolutely no more racists left. But in Canada and also the US, the gay lifestyle and openly gay people are very very much part of everyday life.

"Gay lifestyle"? The only people who believe discrimination concerning race, gender and sexuality is not an issue are the people who don't struggle at the hands of it.

Edited by ***Flawless
  • Like 2

So then what the fuck is Linguini chatting about and why did someone not point that out about 4 pages ago? :lol:

I've been wondering the same thing but I didn't really feel like entering this discussion. When you asked the obvious question straight up, I thought it time to insert a bit of reasonableness.

Edit: Just the tip.....of the iceberg, you fucking perv! :lol:

http://www.policymic.com/articles/81437/8-u-s-states-have-anti-gay-laws-strikingly-similar-to-those-in-russia

Edited by magisme

Guest Len B'stard

I thought maybe the laws had changed or something but at the same time i was thinkin' like, hang on a sec, this is America, they don't change their trousers unless there's a damn good reason :lol:

A lot of Americans mistake pop culture for real life. They think that if it's generally accepted in pop culture - like if the Grammys does some retarded mass wedding with Queen Latifah or whatever the fuck - then that must mean we're all set in the real world. Sorry to say, it don't work like that.

• Like 1

Guest Len B'stard

I mean i don't know much about America first hand but from what I'm led to believe (through pop culture, yeah :lol:) is that there's a certain kind of American with a very straight up and down old school morality, particularly but not exclusively down South. I really get the feeling, correct me if I'm wrong, total fuckin' guesswork here, that there is a really really vast cross section of the American population that are kinda not represented in popular culture. I mean if you look statistically, for example, the people who watch like the fuckin...i can't remember the name now, the 100 Club? Thats a fuckin' blues club on Oxford Street, you know what i mean though, the religious tv show...and that TV channel Daybreak or Daylight or some shit...and i don't just mean like, fundamentalist Christians here, take like the Lifetime Channel or whatever, I'm led to believe that, statistically, a great deal of the population watch that shit. The point I guess i'm tryna make is, and this is the same for England too, that you have what the media presents as what the population are...and then there's the reality that, actually, what we're being presented with is a trendy minority, usually very politically correct etc etc and so forth and then you have the reality of like...the horseshit sandwich eaters and the somewhat ugly (to some folks) reality of what the general population is really like.

I mean, speaking for England, the media presents the population of England as like...young trendy razor-cutted professionals that live in new build flats and all have really cool jobs and are liberal and accepting and old people are kinda like, this image of Ma and Pa behind a white picket fence with arms around each others waists, kinda glibly watching another generation blossom into life like they were the first ones to do it....and then there's the actual reality of folks just being folks, of the right wing people, of our own personal and private ignorance, of people that don't give a shit about the envoirnment, of the people who still think of gay people as poofs and benders and fairys, of people who crack race jokes when the black mans left the room and those who marginalise and objectify womenfolk in a way that the modern media would have you believe is outdated and disgusting.

It's one thing what you see on the telly but you learn just as much about whats really going on sitting in the pub, looking and listening.

Spot on, Len. There's a reason why a large portion of our population thinks Hollywood has a "liberal agenda." It's not so much that pop culture has a conspiratorial liberal agenda - although sometimes they clearly and admittedly do - but rather that so many American citizens see nothing of their daily lives, their thoughts and values, reflected in popular culture, unless as a foil, so it seems to them like an assault on their very being.

I think it would be bigger news if she made facial expressions and moved her eyebrows.

Her career might suck from now on though. Rupert Everett said he would advise actors not to come out career-wise in retrospect.

Is it legal in America, on all levels? Like to be gay, to get married etc etc, in every state?

They're trying to say denying same sex couples a wedding is Unconstitutional , and the feds want people to be able to get married anywhere they want. That should mean churches can still turn away gay couples because of separation of church and state, and be able to go to any courthouse in America and have it approved. It should be a state to state decision.

people who still think of gay people as poofs and benders and fairys, of people who crack race jokes when the black mans left the room and those who marginalise and objectify womenfolk in a way that the modern media would have you believe is outdated and disgusting.

You say that like it's a bad thing. :lol:

Guest Len B'stard

people who still think of gay people as poofs and benders and fairys, of people who crack race jokes when the black mans left the room and those who marginalise and objectify womenfolk in a way that the modern media would have you believe is outdated and disgusting.

You say that like it's a bad thing. :lol:

Me and you are a good example if i say so myself, we throw around a fair bit of racism etc and stuff, I mean we don't mean nothing by it but even in the context of a joke, I'm sure you're aware, it's considered pretty disgusting and out-dated, it's not something that, even in the context of taking the piss, is considered acceptable in this day and age in terms of how the media would present society to you...but you and i know it's common as anything.

Is it legal in America, on all levels? Like to be gay, to get married etc etc, in every state?

No.

So obviously there's no need for activism and awareness. :lol:

Enlighten me, in which US states is it illegal to be gay? Where does Ellen Page have to worry about being arrested for simply being gay?

Did you simply not read his entire post, where it mention "married etc."? Because I refuse to believe you're just trying to score cheap debate points, hoping I'm not paying attention.

Edit: And, then again, there's always this: http://thinkprogress.org/lgbt/2014/02/03/3241421/9-state-gay-propaganda-laws/#

Edited by magisme

No.

So obviously there's no need for activism and awareness. :lol:

Enlighten me, in which US states is it illegal to be gay? Where does Ellen Page have to worry about being arrested for simply being gay?

Did you simply not read his entire post, where it mention "married etc."? Because I refuse to believe you're just trying to score cheap debate points, hoping I'm not paying attention.

Edit: And, then again, there's always this: http://thinkprogress.org/lgbt/2014/02/03/3241421/9-state-gay-propaganda-laws/#

Also this (although it will be struck down as the Kansas one was) the fact that either exist at all illustrate how ridiculous this debate is -

http://www.slate.com/blogs/outward/2014/02/19/idaho_anti_gay_segregation_discrimination_against_gays_will_be_legal.html?wpisrc=burger_bar

I'm not even gonna bother with you if you're gonna discuss in such bad faith and not even read the posts I'm responding to. READ WHAT THE FUCK LEN POSTED. Hint, hint, hint, he mentions marriage SPECIFICALLY. In response, I accurately said "no."

And don't take the time to click the links we've provided either. I'm sure Will & Grace has told you all you need to know about being gay in the US. :rolleyes:

Guest Len B'stard