Listening to CD for the first time in 2 years

Just heard the album in its entirety the other day. Haven't done that in years. Honestly, its not bad at all. I've never thought it was, and I think the problem is the wait and all the leaks and it finally coming out kind of forces you to have to like the album if you keep trying. Even the songs I don't like like Scraped and If The World I know all the parts to and all the words, just because its an album you really try to justify the wait for.

Its a solid album for what it is (an Axl Rose solo record) and if it came out in 2002, or 2006 for that matter, it would have been better to deal with. There wouldn't be so much hype surrounding it and it wouldn't matter if I only like 2/3 because thats how much I usually like of a new record. Whoever's fault it was, it really fucked up the album which is sad because its not bad. It'll just never realistically get any respect and most likely seems like Axl's last statement. I doubt they'll ever follow it up, and ultimately I think the album will always haunt Axl. The songs are good, but he tours them the way he tours Appetite material, and Chinese material can get old quick. I imagine he's tired of playing the songs, but what else is he really gonna do since its the latest album and he spent 15 years on it. Sad situation.

It actually all flows quite nicely but the problem is its impossible for me to listen to it and not think of everything I already knew about the album before it came out and it clouds my judgment. Unlike any other album, I can't just listen to it for the sake of listening to it. I'm always thinking "its good, but for what was made of it for a decade its so not worth it."

I honestly don't understand fans who actually like this album and view it as "GnR album"..This is not about who is in the band or other that shit..The music in this album is not genius or masterpiece..these songs are average at best..The music is weird spacemusic from the planet Jupiter :lol: I try to understand you newgnr fanboys but I just can't..What justification you have to call this album masterpiece???

I listened the songs like any other album but no...fucking no!!! I still hate the record..fucking headache!!

Edited by gunnari

It's a good album. It never lived up to the hype, and it was impossible to considering the amount of talk behind it and how long it took to be released, but real fans appreciate it. I think of it kind of like a cult album.

• Like 1

The music is weird spacemusic from the planet Jupiter :lol:

Seriously? It's not even that out there.

When I listen to Riad I feel like I'm visiting one of Jupiter's moon and attending to alien concert while having terrible headache :wow:

I think the lines in 'Sorry' that start out "you got all the answers..." are the best vocals on the whole album.

That's the Axl Rose I know.

Exactly. Those lines are quite possibly the best thing about the album because it sounds like Axl circa 1991.

As for the album, it's not remotely a GN'R album, but for what it is, it's got its moments. Street of Dreams is probably the best song on the album. If Catcher had been like the demo version it would have been even better. My favorite songs on the album are the ones that sound like they could have been on the Illusions.

When I listen to Riad I feel like I'm visiting one of Jupiter's moon and attending to alien concert while having terrible headache :wow:

It's an industrial rock song with some erratic guitar. Hardly space music.

• Like 1

From the bad songs of CD, Rhiad is one of the worst. From the stolen pointless ambient intro to the Oooh Ooohh's being 50% of the lyrics. Don't know what was Axl's intention with that one.

On the other hand, Better is the perfect pop-rock song, would love to hear more from the Finck/Rose parternship :(

• Like 1

I'm at if the world right now. It's a pleasant experience.

The power chord at the part where he sings "you're the only one I have ever loved that has ever loved me" is one of the best things ever.

Agreed. Have a lot of love for Chinese. The main reasonI'm hard on old Axl is because he won't put out the second half of the Chi Dem recordings......The stubborn bastard...

• Like 2

I fucking love the album. I also find it so strange that folks who LOVE old GNR, HATE this album. Does it sound like AFD or UYI? No! Its not supposed to. Does it sound like something that is Axl dominant and more experimental than UYI? Yes!

I actually played it for a van full of co-workers on a long drive down the 5 fwy in California. Tracks 1-14 got a full listen. After it was done, a 25 year old co-worker, a 37 year old co-worker, and a 52 year old co-worker all LOVED it. When Prostitute was done, there was about 5 seconds of silence, and then someone broke the silence with "that was fucking awesome".

I think the hype/wait created too much bias and drama. If you lived in a cave and upon exit was given the album and no backstory, I think most GNR fans would like it.

I guess that is why I have been so frustrated lately... I want new music. I love CD. I want more like it...

I'm at if the world right now. It's a pleasant experience.
The power chord at the part where he sings "you're the only one I have ever loved that has ever loved me" is one of the best things ever.

Also, listen to it on a good system or with headphones. Pittman really has some subtle effects that are AWESOME!

• Like 1

It's an industrial rock song with some erratic guitar. Hardly space music.

Nah, man. It's totally from Jupiter, man.

what-are-they-up-to-Tommy-Chong.jpg

• Like 2

Also, listen to it on a good system or with headphones. Pittman really has some subtle effects that are AWESOME!

Are somewhat-expensive Sennheiser in-ear earbuds acceptable for appreciating all of the subtle nuances of CD? :lol:

Edited by bacardimayne

Are somewhat-expensive Sennheiser in-ear earbuds acceptable for appreciating all of the subtle nuances of CD? :lol:

Hey man, 14 years of production... there are quite a few nuggets! I actually listen to the album on my old iPhone or the stock iPhone earbuds...

The album has grown on me over time for sure.

When I first heard it I only liked TWAT and Better. Now I sing along to everything. I can and do quite often listen to the album the whole way through.

But with all this in mind, for as much as I truly do love CD, if we aren't going to get anymore music, I would have rather TSI be the last album under the GN'R name.

I actually listened to it for the first time in a while recently too. My feelings are generally the same, a good but not great rock record. 3/5 stars sort of thing. I'm in the minority but I love riad. Better holds up great, a few other songs do as well like Sorry. I like Chinese Democracy the song but I still prefer the Demo without the high octave vocals on the verse, and on the whole I could do without the 45 second ambient intros. This I Love, Madagascar, and Street of Dreams make me cringe. Scraped is terrible still. But the 4-5 strong tracks (cd, better, sorry, shacklers, twat) make it a decent listen. My general issue is that it's all too fucking much. The '99 demos were fantastic because that was 100 layers of bull shit before the actual release.