Listening to CD for the first time in 2 years

I honestly don't understand fans who actually like this album and view it as "GnR album"..This is not about who is in the band or other that shit..The music in this album is not genius or masterpiece..these songs are average at best..The music is weird spacemusic from the planet Jupiter :lol: I try to understand you newgnr fanboys but I just can't..What justification you have to call this album masterpiece???

I listened the songs like any other album but no...fucking no!!! I still hate the record..fucking headache!!

The reality is that we could make a better case that you are more emotionally invested in hating it than anyone is to laud it.

Look at the phrasing and the terminology you use here. It bothers you this thing even exists. Its an affront to you.

Then to hear people actually like it? Like waving raw meat in front of a wild animal. Better hold you back.

• Like 3

If The World was kind of like the big single off the album.

This A&R man says he didn't hear a single.

But 'I.R.S.' would have been my choice for lead single. Not as different sounding as some of the others. A more traditional song structure. And one of the few with a reasonable chorus.

The end of Better is probably the best part of the album. Axl's honest and powerful vocals + badass lead guitar by Finck, THAT is the kind of thing that made Guns N' Roses such a great band, those epic moments where the vocals and guitar complimented each other so well.

• Like 3

Listening now. Chinese Democracy has a nice groove to it. Better is a 10/10 song. The second verse's lyrics <3

I love all of the little "hidden" things on the album, even if they're just hidden due to poor mixing. Listening through and catching them is fun.

Edited by Jakey Styley
  • Like 1

I was a big GnR fan back in their heyday, but as Guns dissipated, my interest dissipated. I was pissed when Steven was gone- like it really bothered me at the time. I really resented the last incarnation of the UYI lineup, I imagine its how some people around here feel about the current lineup: I had the same disdain.

Time went on, the 2002 MTV Music Awards didn't pull me back in- I just thought, "Axl's got some balls to get up there with that lineup." More years passed. And then, out of nowhere, with no warning, If The World sprang up at the end of Body of Lies (which I watched when it became available on DVD). I had a moment, as they say. I dug that song, and still do. And then later on I heard Sorry on XM Radio, and I dug it too. I wanted to hear more. Further down the line, I read on the internet Axl had some chats with people on message boards, and that's when I registered here and began actively following the band again.

In any event, back to the thread: my perception of the album hasn't changed that much. I like the concepts, riffs, ideas, lyrics, but I think it's a classic case of the sum being less than the whole of its parts. It almost has a "mathematical" vibe to how it's put together. Too many cooks in the kitchen. Too digital-ey sounding (as far as the actual aural texture of the recording, not the music). It struck me then upon its release, and it strikes me now: the album would've benefitted from being recorded on analog tape. But that only could do so much, I admit. The album is overworked and over-produced, and yet... and yet... it has its charm. There's a little somethin somethin in there for everybody.

Ultimately, at this point, it makes me want to hear more. I want to hear the rest of the ChiDem vault stuff. Now of course I want to hear the mid 90s demos and jams too, but let's be honest, those have a lesser chance of seeing the light of day, ever. I've accepted that. I've accepted what GnR has become, to the chagrin of some. :shrug:

The "la, la da da.." part in If the World is so dreamy.

Totally! That's the part on headphones or a well balanced system that you can hear the "la, la, da, da" move from side to side. It's a very cool effect that made me understand Pitmans role a bit more...

If The World was kind of like the big single off the album.

This A&R man says he didn't hear a single.

But 'I.R.S.' would have been my choice for lead single. Not as different sounding as some of the others. A more traditional song structure. And one of the few with a reasonable chorus.

It has more of a grunge classic rock feel than crossover potential. Just think has a broader appeal, a clean vocal, understandable lyrics, it's a love song, a nice flow, a great solo. It has huge sound and lives up to the hype. It's kind of like Live and Let Die meets Heaven's Door. Just needed a big budget video to make the radio stations play it.

CD, ITW, Scraped, IRS are all pretty good first singles. Then follow up with Better. Once you've had the hit you can pick which SOD, TWAT, Catcher, TIL, Madagascar. If it was the 90s they'd all have big videos.

Edited by wasted

The music is weird spacemusic from the planet Jupiter :lol:

Seriously? It's not even that out there.

Yeah, makes you wonder what kind of music these people normally listen to, if CD sounds like weird space music... Something generic like ACDC or Bon Jovi I guess. Personally I wish CD was a little more experimental.

• Like 1

Once you notice that "bwoop!" sound in Prostitute, you can never unhear (I know that's not a word) it.

I've never been able to NOT hear the ridiculous whimper after the third line in Chinese Democracy after the first time I heard it. To me, thats exhibit A when people talk about how this album is overproduced with layers and layers of unnecessary things. I mean, why is that there?! I know its not a big deal, but I swear it annoys me every time I hear the song and think it just sounds idiotic. Its around 1:30-1:40 in the song.

Once you notice that "bwoop!" sound in Prostitute, you can never unhear (I know that's not a word) it.

Which one's that?

The sound I can't unhear is during the outro to Sorry. It sounds like one of those AIM messenger sounds that the original Sorry leak had all over it.

GNR does make those Crüe, Whitesnake, Tesla, LA Guns, Scorpions, Ratt, KIss, ACDC lists.

CD seems to want to hang out with Korn, NIN, Nirvana, RATM, Pumpkins, FNM, Prodigy, PJ, Zombie, AIC.

Different flavours of bubblegum.

I think some of Axl's vocals are genius, surperb melody all over the place but I find the whiney lyrics wear me out very quickly.

Still think the mid tempo piano tunes would be one hundred times better if Slash was on them but that's an irrelevant opinion.

The guitars in general piss me off, farty and crowded.

Edited by Intercourse