First half of '87: the best of Axl's voice

From what I've heard in a plenty of bootlegs and demos from '86 to '93, I concluded that the best Axl's momentum as a singer were the months between the record sessions of AFD and the first gigs right before and after the release of their debut album (that is, from March to July/August). The best concert of all time (at least among the most well recorded; and behind the epical Bridge School Benefit Concert, no need to say), in terms of quality of his voice, was the June 28th Marquee show (it has the best Rocket Queen outro ever, the best Don't Cry rendition, etc.; and Steven totally rocks!):

And this is the best version of WTTJ I've ever heard:

After that, his voice began to deteriorate, sometimes recovering to a very good condition (as in the Fox Late Night set), but he never succeeded to sing again like in the time I mentioned. What do you think?

From what I've heard in a plenty of bootlegs and demos from '86 to '93, I concluded that the best Axl's momentum as a singer were the months between the record sessions of AFD and the first gigs right before and after the release of their debut album (that is, from March to July/August). The best concert of all time (at least among the most well recorded; and behind the epical Bridge School Benefit Concert, no need to say), in terms of quality of his voice, was the June 28th Marquee show (it has the best Rocket Queen outro ever, the best Don't Cry rendition, etc.; and Steven totally rocks!):

And this is the best version of WTTJ I've ever heard:

After that, his voice began to deteriorate, sometimes recovering to a very good condition (as in the Fox Late Night set), but he never succeeded to sing again like in the time I mentioned. What do you think?

Mostly agreed, but his voice is always changing

Back in the pre AFD days Axl drinks, smokes a lot, and did some serious shitload of other drugs

That was probably change his voice plus the "non stop" touring too

Edited by Crash Diet

This forum is unreal.

"he isn't even as good as 2012 standards"

"he isn't as good as 2010"

"he isn't as good as 2006"

"he was in his prime 20 years ago"

"Actually he was better in AFD years, was overly raspy in the UYI tour"

"No, wait, he was better before AFD was released in 1987"

"No, he was good for the first half of 1987 only"

"Actually he sounded better when thinking them up in his head when he was writing the songs in 86'"

• Like 1

This forum is unreal.

"Actually he sounded better when thinking them up in his head when he was writing the songs in 86'"

HAHAHAAA. So fucking true.

God, you're all wrong.

You need his grade-school choir bootlegs if you really wanna hear him shine.

Filthy casuals.

• Like 2

Damn that Rocket Queen on that london video, what a singer the man was. He had countless unbelievable performances throughout the 80's up to 93, then I'd say parts of 06 and 09/10 were stunning and awesome to see that voice back in ship shape, different but the raw power and piercing shriek was still there. Don't know if we'll ever see it at its height again :(

This forum is unreal.

Honey, are you functionally illiterate or what? I didn't create this topic to bash Axl nor to say that he only sang well in a particular brief moment of his career. He is one of the all time greatest rock singers. Period. That said, I only wanted to share what, in my opinion, is the summit of this great singer. Do you understand that, darling? :wub:

When I seen them opening for Alice Cooper in late 87 I believe, was the best I ever heard Axl sound live. He had rasp but no too much and could hit the notes perfectly then, he was the most polished member of the band that night. It was one hell of a show!!

When I seen them open for Aerosmith he had the total rasp vocals that sounded like he had gravel in his throat. The band was much tighter but his voice was fucked and it was the same for the UYI shows went to. Too much rasp. I think when his voice was fucked you got the full on rasp because the he could not hit the notes and he wasn't singing.

I liked the 2006 vocals alot, he had rasp but he was still singing. Yes in 2006 he had some mickey mouse moments but I still liked it better than 2010.

If you look back at the club stuff and even AFD Axl did not sing with alot of rasp he had a clean voice and could control it. It can also be said for UYI he used more rasp but not like he would do live.

Wanting him to have raspy vocals is telling him he should do something that isn't natural to him but he started using rasp more more as the tours have gone on.

Even on 2002 Yes he had more mickey mouse but the rasp was there but his vocals were cleaner which to me is better.

2006 More Rasp, less mickey mouse

2010 even more rasp

2011 on... I am unsure if he decided he didn't want to hurt his throat anymore or what, but I wish he would go back to singing because he is very monotone with the high mickey mouse type of vocals. He doesn't use his range at all, that is if he still has it. I think if he is using the high voice he should sing with range and it would sound much better.

• Like 1

When I seen them opening for Alice Cooper in late 87 I believe, was the best I ever heard Axl sound live. He had rasp but no too much and could hit the notes perfectly then, he was the most polished member of the band that night. It was one hell of a show!!

When I seen them open for Aerosmith he had the total rasp vocals that sounded like he had gravel in his throat. The band was much tighter but his voice was fucked and it was the same for the UYI shows went to. Too much rasp. I think when his voice was fucked you got the full on rasp because the he could not hit the notes and he wasn't singing.

I liked the 2006 vocals alot, he had rasp but he was still singing. Yes in 2006 he had some mickey mouse moments but I still liked it better than 2010.

If you look back at the club stuff and even AFD Axl did not sing with alot of rasp he had a clean voice and could control it. It can also be said for UYI he used more rasp but not like he would do live.

Wanting him to have raspy vocals is telling him he should do something that isn't natural to him but he started using rasp more more as the tours have gone on.

Even on 2002 Yes he had more mickey mouse but the rasp was there but his vocals were cleaner which to me is better.

2006 More Rasp, less mickey mouse

2010 even more rasp

2011 on... I am unsure if he decided he didn't want to hurt his throat anymore or what, but I wish he would go back to singing because he is very monotone with the high mickey mouse type of vocals. He doesn't use his range at all, that is if he still has it. I think if he is using the high voice he should sing with range and it would sound much better.

I agree. The reason I think Axl was at his best in the first half of '87 is because he had control over his raspy voice. Rasp was not the keyword to his singing style back then, but rather an element he would put out of the pocket when it was needed. SCOM, for example, is almost clean, but at the same time is very different from the flawless voice he has done since '99. He had this savage way to reach the high notes which is completely different from what he has done since the last years. For any reason, he definetly lost the power in his voice to do the high notes without rasp or without falsettos (I think is what they call head voice or something). But I totally understand: the way Axl sings is probably the most harmful way one can do.

Indeed imo Axl's voice was at it's prime during the 87-89 era, but in a non consistent way already.

IMO this is the best ever live vocal performance from Axl.

Edited by trqster
  • Like 1

This forum is unreal.

What the fuck?

I prefer the deeper '06/'10 voice. Why I'm also a fan of that '88 You're Crazy performance, love the low-mid rasp. If you combined the '80s physical performance and lung capacity with the '10 voice and the '06 style, you'd have the perfect Axl.