Were Geffen/Universal/Interscope A Blessing or Curse?

Something i've often thought about.

A lot of people criticise the record company for not promoting Chinese Democracy properly, dropping the ball with advertising/promotion etc, and some say they may have held up the progress of future albums in favour of trying to get a reunion.

But, the company also gave Axl more or less free reign up until the end of 2003 budget wise to proceed how he wished artistically and poured a hell of a lot into funding the album. Remember the reports that they paid Axl $1,000,000 in 1999 or so to complete the album with a promise of a further $1,000,000 if he handed it in by summer 2000? That's a pretty heavy level of freedom. Granted, Axl said that it was mainly due to record company cock ups, but it's still a lot of freedom they gave him over the years, which is all the more impressive given the changes in lineups during the end of the 1990's, especially without any live shows, must have given them a lot of room for doubt.

With that in mind, I can't really blame them for being more reluctant to pour more money into the record by the time Axl finally finished it. Which, let's face it, must have been a lot longer than anyone ever could have anticipated.

At the same time, maybe granting Axl the free reign he did/not get too involved with the process was the reason fo the delays and the troubles he faced.

So, thoughts?

They gave Axl millions of dollars to record an album. They did their best to promote it. They might be hesitant to help today because of Axl's stupid "no promotion" for CD. They know a reunion will never happen, they'll try to make money through other ways. They'd never block a new release cause it's the best they can get from Axl. I just don't think they'll splash millions on dated rock records anymore.

They gave Axl millions of dollars to record an album. They did their best to promote it. They might be hesitant to help today because of Axl's stupid "no promotion" for CD. They know a reunion will never happen, they'll try to make money through other ways. They'd never block a new release cause it's the best they can get from Axl. I just don't think they'll splash millions on dated rock records anymore.

Why do people revise history to say that the album didn't receive any promotion from the label?

Why do people revise history to say that the album didn't receive any promotion from the label?

It helps them to sleep at night I guess. Album got good promotion for what it was. What else could they do? Force Axl to go on TV or release videos? :lol:

It helps them to sleep at night I guess. Album got good promotion for what it was. What else could they do? Force Axl to go on TV or release videos? :lol:

Millions, maybe even billions, of rock fans had NO idea that the album even came out. The most anticipated album of all time label was a ploy by Slash to make the label think that people knew about the album, when it fact, nobody was aware that it came out. Print ads, commercials on TV, major movie tie ins, video game releases, Myspace record setting listening station........I suppose the record company probably should have sent people to go door-to-door.

• Like 1

I think it would have sold more at like a walmart or somthing that's for sure.. How much who knows. I know where I grew up the closest best buy was 45 minutes away lol.. Also the whole album was on MySpace when everyone had one.. Why buy music when it's free. I only bought it cuz it was the first GnR record that was released in my lifetime :) haven't bought a record since.. It's sad but I'm part of the downloading motherfuker generation and you could not get me to even pay 99 cents for a track off iTunes that's forsure

Millions, maybe even billions, of rock fans had NO idea that the album even came out. The most anticipated album of all time label was a ploy by Slash to make the label think that people knew about the album, when it fact, nobody was aware that it came out. Print ads, commercials on TV, major movie tie ins, video game releases, Myspace record setting listening station........I suppose the record company probably should have sent people to go door-to-door.
I get what you are saying but am confused by it as well. If millions of rock fans had no idea it came out then how can you say it received proper promotion?

Record label as a whole has fuck all to do with difficulties and delays that have always been integral part of GNR.

Record labels make money by selling bands, songs, records. They like it when bands they've signed make music and are active. This is why some Jew conspiracy where record label does it's utmost to prevent GNR from releasing anything new is true only in parallel universe where Axl fans live.

If there are difficulties, delays then bands and managment of any given band like to blame the label. Record label in turn doesn't have anything against this; label is not some single person to insult. It is a faceless corp. One pretty much immune to hatred or boycott of consumers; how much you hate Interscope has nothing to do with wether or not you buy the new album. It is not a factor for most all people. So label doesn't give a fuck if they are blamed; likely it benefits them more to keep the band clean, label dirty.

From vantage point of distributing music far and wide, the Jurassic way release of CD was handled in USA was gigantic fuck up. Regardless, IIRC label and band both were very pleased towards the arrangement. Best Buy must have paid some pretty stellar sum for their exclusive. Album flopped badly. When it comes to finances, I am sure it was disappointment to Best Buy and only Best Buy. Label and the band had already cashed out at that point. Best Buy paid for "MOST ANTICIPATED ALBUM OF ALL TIME" and got " one of the top 10 rock albums of this year!" It is evident Axl and label both gave fucks about moneys, not about how far and wide the release of CD in USA reaches.

Maybe sell release rights for CD II to Facebook who could launch the sole existing copy to space for zillion dollars?

Edited by LTD

I drove an hour and a half to buy it. That's where the closest Best Buy to me is. Had it come out through Wal Mart, like AC/DC's album, it would have sold more. Best Buy's promotion thingy was a joke. The album is nowhere near as good as the UYIs or AFD, but everything was fucked. Axl not promoting helped dig the album's grave.

Axl lives in his fantasy world where everything is out to get him, and the label is some evil, diabolical bastard. He just doesn't want to release more music. The label ain't blocking shit, neither is Slash.

Interscope taking over Geffen did result in a weakened relationship between the label and band.

I don't think Axl expected CDs to fly off shelves, but was probably hoping it would build an audience over time, which is essentially what AFD did. The thing is, an album is expected to be strong out of the gate, or expect it to fade and be in the bottom of the charts in a couple of weeks.

There's a history of other bands having their albums delayed or shelved indefinitely.

I think the question you should be asking is "Was Axl Rose a curse for Geffen/Universal/Interscope?". Given the amount of money and time wasted, I don't think Axl is the victim here. I don't fault them for the poor promotion they did and remember, again, it was Axl who didn't want to do promotion for CD. It is my understanding that he didn't want the album released the way it got released.

The only thing that I can see that the label did wrong was release it was a dodgy booklet - other than that they made a deal which recouped their costs (we can argue whether Best Buy was a better option than Walmart - I don't live in the US so it didn't affect me anyway) but the blame lies with Axl - it was his album - he should have been out there in the magazines, on TV(talkshows, videos etc), on radio and as many online blogs etc as he could if he wanted it promoted. No matter how much he'd like to blame everyone else, he took all that time to make the album, and if making the album was the hard part then the promo should of been easy.
Most bands won't sell an awful lot of cds anymore - with GNR and a new release you're probably guarenteed to sell at least 250,000 to a million to hardcore fans alone (dropping by the year I might add) - that's still alot of money to a label - so I can't see them being the reason we're not seeing a new album - my only thought on the rumour that the label did reject an album in 2010 would be if Axl handed in a ChiDem remix album (the last set of leaks) and the label probably thought (and quite rightly so) that there is a vault with at least 30(?) songs and you're giving us a remix album?