I inherited a bass guitar...

RJ88

Hey guys,

So as the topic says, I've inherited a bass guitar from my uncle. Says it's a Fender Squier P-Bass. Now instead of being money hungry, I thought it would be a better option to keep it and learn how to play it. Unfortunately, I know dick all about instruments and music (aside form listening to it), so I thought this would be the perfect place to come and ask where should I start? I don't want to take lessons, so I guess the "self-taught" route is the way I want to go...

Thanks guys!

IMG-20140426-00082_zps94f6cf52.jpg

4eb75eee-e7f8-4af7-a8bc-30a40cec9c16_zps

IMG-20140426-00081_zpsad9bd456.jpg

Edited by RJ88

It's a Squire Affinity, you'd only get like 50 bucks for it anyway.

Self taught is the way to go, and fortunately nowadays there are enough video lessons out there to get you started. Search beginner bass lessons on youtube and you should get off to a good start.

• Like 1

It's a Squire Affinity, you'd only get like 50 bucks for it anyway.

Self taught is the way to go, and fortunately nowadays there are enough video lessons out there to get you started. Search beginner bass lessons on youtube and you should get off to a good start.

Thanks!

I didn't think it was worth much to begin with as my Uncle had told me he just got it so that he could learn how to play it

I'm sure some people here will jump at the chance to give you long-winded speeches about why I'm wrong and blah blah blah, and that's all well and good, I just wanted to throw my 2 cents out there for your consideration.

Edited by saber_

Don't play with a pick, that's my advice.

Why not?

I'm actually curious as to why some do and some don't...

It's a matter of style and preference. Using fingers versus a pick produces different sounds. It is good to learn how to use your fingers though, and ultimately be comfortable with both methods.

• Like 1