Why is it that the vast majority of champion athletes pay homage to a god?

Guest NGOG

Not a lot because i don't have one because it's a load of bollocks.

What's beyond the milky way. A snickers maybe.

I didn't realize that if you believed then you get to pray for shit for yourself. I'm in, I do this all the time anyway.

Guest Len B'stard

The only time i pray is in the 80th minute onwards of football games when it ain't going my way and I've got money on :lol: And i really mean that, it's pathetic, I'm like 'oh God please sort me out, don't fuck about man, do this for me and i SWEAR i'll think about believing in you at some point, come on man, you know what it's like, don't be out of order!' Then at the final whistle it's like 'YOU EVIL BASTARD!'.

I was praying when Arsenal and West Brom went to penalties too.

Edited by sugaraylen

Jermaine Defoe is a Christian. If I was a footballer I'd be praying I didn't get my leg broke before every game. It's not like the ref is going to save you are Lee Catermole limbers up for another 90s min of Legbreaker.

Jermaine Defoe is a Christian. If I was a footballer I'd be praying I didn't get my leg broke before every game. It's not like the ref is going to save you are Lee Catermole limbers up for another 90s min of Legbreaker.

Lee Catermole and Charlie Adam in the same team is the stuff of nightmares.

Lee Catermole and Charlie Adam in the same team is the stuff of nightmares.

Charlie can take all Lee's victims chips in the hospital.

Benitez was looking to buy Catermole at Inter. Maybe he could stamp out diving in the Serie A.

Besides and in addition to all the usual reasons why somebody is religious,

For a certain mindset, I think It is comfortable to believe you are something special, something different. The Chosen One. You run faster than other people, have all the cameras shooting at you and hear them screams of other people not only because you have worked hard to be the best but also because you are - gifted - by god. This isn't simply you working really hard to run faster than anyone else. Fuck that. God chose you for some special purpose and you have a special relationship with him. Thaning God elevates you above normal mortals. " yeah see, God helps me win sports events. What the fuck does he do yo you? Let's you starve and die amirite? Yeah we bros me and him:)"

With right mind twists same can be applied to and by people born in old money or people who are gifted in some other way that excels in introducing wealth&vanity. ie Tom Cruise isn't a scientologist because he wishes spiritual enlightenment and wants to become a better person; he is a scientologist because he is a whole fuck ton better and more CHOSEN than you.

Edited by LTD

They lack brains.

It also depends where the "champion athlete" is from. An american thanks god. A swede thank their family and trainers. A swede thanking god? Not gonna happen.

Also, it's not only the winners that thank god, the losers does it as well. Not swedish losers however. ;)

'Yeah uh, I'd to thank God for helping me lose, for humbling me, making me subject to humility, making me look at myself long and hard, putting me through the ringer'. Not necessarily Gods work though, is it, I mean you'd get a similar expierience in the showers in Wandsworth Prison :lol:

:rofl-lol:

I rarely see sportsmen thanking god with the exception of a few Muslim players in the Prem (Demba Ba for instance)

Christian footballers just don't do it. I think the only Christians that do it are American footballers, and they only do it for press coverage (Tim Tebow cough)

What if you could meet your maker, what would you have to say?

I see them quite frequently. I call them mom and dad.

I think it just makes them look like good people.

No, it's not about developing a certain image like a politician. They passionately believe that their ability to dominate is to due to a gift given by god. Or they pay homage to a god by excelling.

It's interesting. A lot of atheists say that belief in god is psychologically restricting, yet champion athletes have the most rigorous mind of any.

Are you them? Are you a championship athlete?

Because it sounds to me you're putting words into someone else's mouth.

It also sounds like bullshit.

Guest NGOG

Are you them? Are you a championship athlete? Because it sounds to me you're putting words into someone else's mouth.

It also sounds like bullshit.

Ali. Mayweather. Holyfield. Federer. Kobe. Lebron. Bolt. Tyson etc. etc. etc. They are all men of intense faith, and they're world beaters. It's just an interesting point - very few world champions say their dominance is entirely down to their own greatness.

Every aspect of life is bullshit to you. Try sorting that out before calling others out. I would also point out that it was YOU who started speculating about their agenda.

Edited by NGOG

Have you ever considered that like politicians, athletes are in fact role models within the general public, so their 'Lordy Lordy' bullshit is most likely another way to win over public approval and receive fan support?

And if you're best examples are Kobe and LeBron as God's disciples, well then definitely count me out.

Also NGOG, please keep in mind I wrote 'I think' which implies an opinion where you've just spewed a bunch of bullshit about how championship athletes are bible nutters, which is not only an extreme generalization but seriously, why does it fucking matter?

Let's make a thread that most NBA champions are black too!

Guest Len B'stard

I think Arnies got a point. I mean look, does anything Mayweather say ever come off as like...his true feelings? Doesn't too me. In fact it sounds almost scripted:

So Floyd, what do you think of Maidana?

Uh, Maidanas a tough competitor. I can't overlook nobody. He's here for a reason, he's an elite fighter etc etc blah blah blah, the same shit he says about every opponent.

I dunno shit about Kobe and LeBron so i can't comment there, Ali's a special case, the guys kinda defined by his religion. The shits almost like an auto-pilot thing.

Perhaps its the sort of in-built arrogance you need or need to bluff yourself with to see your way through this shit.

Or maybe they just flat out believe...I have a hard time believing someone like Floyd Mayweather is one of your 'will you come to the mission, will you come, will you come, cup of tea, cup of tea and a bun' jobs, excuse my cynicism :lol:

When a man benefits from his faith or stating their faith as folks like this do it kinda rings hollow. B-Hop is a muslim but he don't ram it down peoples throats. I think a mans faith shows when his faith or expressing his faith is potentially damaging to his position but he does it anyway. Sports are essentially the theatre of conservatism really, always have been.

Edited by sugaraylen

Guest NGOG

Have you ever considered that like politicians, athletes are in fact role models within the general public, so their 'Lordy Lordy' bullshit is most likely another way to win over public approval and receive fan support?

And if you're best examples are Kobe and LeBron as God's disciples, well then definitely count me out.

Also NGOG, please keep in mind I wrote 'I think' which implies an opinion where you've just spewed a bunch of bullshit about how championship athletes are bible nutters, which is not only an extreme generalization but seriously, why does it fucking matter?

Let's make a thread that most NBA champions are black too!

No, I never considered that actually! Thanks for enlightening me Arnold! Except, there is a difference between somebody that is trying to get elected (creating an image to appeal to a large demographic - which you are referring to) and an athlete that is trying to stay on top of their sport (utilizing whatever percieved 'power' they can).

Didn't say all champion athletes were believers (see 'vast majority of'). Didn't say they were bible-nutters either. I merely pointed out that the vast majority of champion athletes attribute their dominance to the grace of a god. The fastest plan on the planet is devoutly faithful. I find that interesting.

I'm interested in the psychology of champion athletes, that's why. If you're not, feel free to return to talking about what you're eating and drinking (and the self-loathing in between). Not everyone wants to discuss themselves all the time.

Edited by NGOG
  • Like 1

No. It sounds like you're interested in pushing religion on a fucking forum devoted to a rock band.

And quite frankly 'vast majority of' is a GENERALIZATION. I would also like to point out that athletes do get elected. It's called sponsorships, television ads, and being resigned. Like politics, their career runs on public image and the public's perception of who they are as a person. Why the fuck did Tim Tebow get so famous? Was it because he was so good? No, it's because he reads his Bible every day and goes on Oprah and anti-abortion commercials to push an image (no matter how genuine it may be) that the public fucking ate up.

Guest Len B'stard

No. It sounds like you're interested in pushing religion on a fucking forum devoted to a rock band.

And quite frankly 'vast majority of' is a GENERALIZATION. I would also like to point out that athletes do get elected. It's called sponsorships, television ads, and being resigned. Like politics, their career runs on public image and the public's perception of who they are as a person. Why the fuck did Tim Tebow get so famous? Was it because he was so good? No, it's because he reads his Bible every day and goes on Oprah and anti-abortion commercials to push an image (no matter how genuine it may be) that the public fucking ate up.

Arnie, i REALLY don't think he's the religion pushing type man :lol:

the Bigelf references aren't connecting with the forum posters. must listen to more hard rock. please help me god to make relevant posts without typos;

The problem with your sort is you want it all :lol:

Guest NGOG

Why the fuck did Tim Tebow get so famous?

I'm not relgious, it's a purely psychological discussion. And even if I was a closet Mormon or some shit, how would that be any worse than you pushing discussion on the merits of suicide?

Tim Tebow can't find a fucking team, that's why he's been forced to create a corporate image. Cuz you know, when a professional athlete isn't being paid to compete, they need to look elsewhere for money. Not sure why you've brought up a dud athlete in the context of a discussion about champion athletes.

Guest NGOG

The fact that this was even a question makes me believe otherwise. It's subtle yet it is there.

All that ganja has clearly made you very paranoid. It's very strange that you are AFRAID of religion like that, aren't you mentally strong enough to reject beliefs you dislike?

Am I going to usurp your mind or something? I'm going you a PM here that will take control of your brain. :lol:

• Like 1