Why is it that the vast majority of champion athletes pay homage to a god?

Guest NGOG

Guest NGOG

Think about it, most champion athletes say that they draw inspiration from god.

Could it be that believing you are supported by a god makes you even stronger psychologically (as opposed to god actually rewarding you for your faith)? It's certainly less daunting than believing athletic greatness is entirely down to your own strengths.

Edited by NGOG

Guest NGOG

They pay homage to God because they are religious bro.

:philosoraptor:

I just find it interesting that the vast majority of champion athletes are believers. They are gods amongst men, yet they acknowledge a divine superior.

• Like 1

Interesting point, I'm inclined to agree with both of you actually.

I like those Cage Fighters that always thank god and or say they are fighting for god or their little daughter...like a 6 year old girl ( or God, for that matter) is going to be proud of her dad for breaking another guy's face, knocking him out and leaving him in a pool of blood :lol:

• Like 1

I like those Cage Fighters that always thank god and or say they are fighting for god or their little daughter...like a 6 year old girl ( or God, for that matter) is going to be proud of her dad for breaking another guy's face, knocking him out and leaving him in a pool of blood :lol:

So noble :wub:

I guess they feel blessed that they're able to making a living by doing those things, and probably because of the risk attached... coming through relatively unscathed is a pretty decent outcome. Or, in the case of say your daughter, it's that they're putting themselves through gruelling training camps to make sure they're ready to fight, where they run the risk of being seriously injured - and it's saying, look how much daddy loves you that he's willing to go to any length to provide for you.

• Like 1

Guest NGOG

I think it just makes them look like good people.

No, it's not about developing a certain image like a politician. They passionately believe that their ability to dominate is to due to a gift given by god. Or they pay homage to a god by excelling.

It's interesting. A lot of atheists say that belief in god is psychologically restricting, yet champion athletes have the most rigorous mind of any.

Hard to reconcile that as "psychologically restricting" - surely that offers more openness to things if anything? Purely believing in things that can be seen or rationalised... I dunno - I can't imagine a world without some faith or belief - however misguided that may be.

Guest NGOG

t831M.jpg

Although the intention of that is humour, the illustration of the starving child is quite powerful. In the horrifying sense.

That's why I feel that believing in a god only has psychological benefits for athletes; as opposed to divine.

Think about it, most champion athletes say that they draw inspiration from god.

Could it be that believing you are supported by a god makes you even stronger psychologically (as opposed to god actually rewarding you for your faith)? It's certainly less daunting than believing athletic greatness is entirely down to your own strengths.

Athletic greatness is a lot more mental than you realize. To achieve greatness, your head has to be in the right place ... and religion often helps accomplish that.

I never knew that......

. I dunno - I can't imagine a world without some faith or belief - however misguided that may be.

...yeah, that would be a rather depressing world to live in, IMO....ugh....

It's really not, I find myself in far less fear and confusion about the universe and life now in comparison to when I believed in a higher power. It feels quite liberating, this pretty much sums it up:

Also, agreed NGOG. it might have a humorous overtone but really it's a pretty harrowing image.

Edited by Graeme

. I dunno - I can't imagine a world without some faith or belief - however misguided that may be.

It's really not, I find myself in far less fear and confusion about the universe and life now in comparison to when I believed in a higher power.

You were in fear and confused before? :lol:

Live your life as you see fit: I'm not going to go all Pascal's Wager on you, but I can't understand why you were more confused if you believed in something.

• Like 1

Guest NGOG

Sandman, when I started a thread about belief in god, you said you were a believer. Out of curiosity, what faith do you practice?

Sandman, when I started a thread about belief in god, you said you were a believer. Out of curiosity, what faith do you practice?

I'm a Catholic - but relaxed about it. I don't shout about it, I don't ram it down people's throats - but perhaps 'modern' would be appropriate. I'm not dogmatic, but believe. Can't always make mass of course due to sporting commitments, but I've no reason to doubt it.

Does it change who I am as a person or how I act? I imagine most people think I'm irreligious if they were to meet me - which is perhaps the best way to be.

• Like 2

Guest Len B'stard

Are they believers though? Just cuz they say it? Or do they just say it because when you're on the world stage, everyone watching, a deal with Pepsi in the offing you gotta get the fuckin' armchairs warmer vote, the housewife vote etc etc so they just up and out with it, its presenting an image, you think a motherfucker like Floyd Mayweather really believes in God, a cunt like that?

• Like 1

They lack brains.

It also depends where the "champion athlete" is from. An american thanks god. A swede thank their family and trainers. A swede thanking god? Not gonna happen.

Also, it's not only the winners that thank god, the losers does it as well. Not swedish losers however. ;)

Edited by CheapJon

Guest Len B'stard

It's really not, I find myself in far less fear and confusion about the universe and life now in comparison to when I believed in a higher power.

You were in fear and confused before? :lol:

Live your life as you see fit: I'm not going to go all Pascal's Wager on you, but I can't understand why you were more confused if you believed in something.

Because a lack of belief is all encompassing...however even a single belief requires some form of scrutiny with a view to justifying it or sussing out it's grounding in reality, which raises a series of other questions and propositions, the answers to which are often neither simple or palatable if in fact they can be found at all.

I'm a Catholic - but relaxed about it. I don't shout about it, I don't ram it down people's throats - but perhaps 'modern' would be appropriate. I'm not dogmatic, but believe. Can't always make mass of course due to sporting commitments, but I've no reason to doubt it.

Does it change who I am as a person or how I act? I imagine most people think I'm irreligious if they were to meet me - which is perhaps the best way to be.

Pretty much the same as me.

• Like 1

Guest Len B'stard

They lack brains.

It also depends where the "champion athlete" is from. An american thanks god. A swede thank their family and trainers. A swede thanking god? Not gonna happen.

Also, it's not only the winners that thank god, the losers does it as well. Not swedish losers however. ;)

'Yeah uh, I'd to thank God for helping me lose, for humbling me, making me subject to humility, making me look at myself long and hard, putting me through the ringer'. Not necessarily Gods work though, is it, I mean you'd get a similar expierience in the showers in Wandsworth Prison :lol:

Pretty much the same as me.

No he's not, he's got a whistle :D

• Like 1