sore fingers - need urgent help

zabrak999

Right,

so basically I properly started to learn how to play the guitar last night, for about a few hours.

Today though, I planned on practicing all day. Well, an hour in and I noticed that when I was switching between the three chords i learned last night, the tip of a couple of my fingers were frayed to the point where it's essentially unplayable.

This is where I'm stuck on...You know, if you can remember back to when you got to this point..How long did you take a break, to rest your fingers?

By the way, I should note that my schedule is as follows:

Workdays - 5 hours of practice a day

non-work day - 8 AM-11:PM

This is what also worries me, you know...I'm wondering if this can eventually bring irreversible damage to my fingers

Right,
so basically I properly started to learn how to play the guitar last night, for about a few hours.
Today though, I planned on practicing all day. Well, an hour in and I noticed that when I was switching between the three chords i learned last night, the tip of a couple of my fingers were frayed to the point where it's essentially unplayable.
This is where I'm stuck on...You know, if you can remember back to when you got to this point..How long did you take a break, to rest your fingers?
By the way, I should note that my schedule is as follows:
Workdays - 5 hours of practice a day
non-work day - 8 AM-11:PM
This is what also worries me, you know...I'm wondering if this can eventually bring irreversible damage to my fingers

Really gotta figure out how to get you to post in the musicians section.

Anyway, give it some rest, your endurance will get better over time. I've never heard of anyone doing serious damage to tips of their fingers due to overplaying (though I suppose it's possible). Rest a bit. If you're practicing as much as you say you are, that's a lot. Maybe skip a day every now and then for recovery.

So you've just picked up the guitar and decided to put in many hours of practice every day? What about chilling a bit and finding out if you enjoy playing before risking becoming totally fed up with it?

As for how long it took me to heal. I can't remember, but I never played for more than a couple of hours a day in the beginning.

Build callouses. I played til my.fingers bled when I learned.

Pain is really the only way to progress in the first year or so of playing guitar. Walk it off.

Ooh, hard men!

It's not that. I'm not an alpha male if there is such a thing, it's just there is no way in hell you're gonna develop callouses without bleeding or at least without experiencing T pain amounts of pain.

I played the violin years ago and even from violin strings you build up callouses.

Playing a musical instrument (or any technical craft or skill for that matter) is not something that you can just rush and load in the practice and get good at in a few months. It takes years and should be something you do as part of your life and you get better at it over time. It's like sport, you start slowly and build the skills.

5 hours of practice every day probably isn't going to be 5 productive hours either. If its not productive you're wasting your time. An hour or hour and a half will probably be enough.

I remember my enthusiasm when I first stated playing to. Like you, I couldn't stop and practiced for 4~5 hours per day. My finger tips got sore but never to the point where I couldn't play.

If youre playing an acoustic guitar maybe try using nylon strings as they are a little bit softer..if electric maybe a thinner string?? Also, try not to play straight through, take breaks every half hour or so.

Good luck man....

Yea, T.wa.T.'s advice will make you into a little bitch guitar player. Use nylon it's softer, detune. Fuck that shit. Everyone starts on acoustic for a reason, building finger strength and callouses.

Haha, didn't know he was talkin about callouses, thought he meant he was straining his hands and fingers.

So yeah, if its just finger tips or general soreness, keep playing to build up your strength. That's the good pain...