Fucking mess of a performance from Slash/Myles.... how comes only Axl gets called up on his shitty performances and no-one else?

Towelie

Who the fuck is a GnR fan and then says they hate Slash?

Right? But you can always find one or two local bar guitar players and complete losers 'hating' on Slash. It's funny, 'cause saying that you 'hate' someone you don't know and someone who has no idea you exist is the ultimate proof of having a shit life.

I hate lots of people...

And at least I know HOW to play guitar.

I'm sure you've lots of time to practice your mixolydian scales alone in your basement flat in between welfare checks.

When you're not hating on various people you've never met of course..

I bet you're another one of those boring asshole musicians who think that just because they can read music and know all the theory they are better or more deserving than the guy who can't read, taught himself and made a massive career delighting millions of fans with his mastery of the craft of guitar playing.

You should head on over to a place like Yngwie Malmsteen (aka Whingey Cuntstain's) Fret-WankFest website with all the other muso shut-ins and complain about how there is no justice for guys like you.

• Like 1

I like both Axl and Slash as musicians, and I don't like bashing either one of them. However, I happened to be at the Aerosmith show last night in LA, and Slash was the opening act. HE sounded great and I loved his guitar work. The act, however, was pretty terrible. Myles seemed like a nice guy but he just didn'tseem to have any energy. And on the Guns N' Roses songs, it sounded as though he was trying too hard to imitate someone else's vocal style instead of using his talents to his best advantage and singing it his own way.

I actually ended up walking out and hanging out by the doorway. I could hear Slash's guitars there, but I didn't have to watch what was going on onstage. And as I was standing there, I overheard someone say "who is the cover band up there?" Ouch. And it didn't sound like a sarcastic remark, either.

I like both Axl and Slash as musicians, and I don't like bashing either one of them. However, I happened to be at the Aerosmith show last night in LA, and Slash was the opening act. HE sounded great and I loved his guitar work. The act, however, was pretty terrible. Myles seemed like a nice guy but he just didn'tseem to have any energy. And on the Guns N' Roses songs, it sounded as though he was trying too hard to imitate someone else's vocal style instead of using his talents to his best advantage and singing it his own way.

I actually ended up walking out and hanging out by the doorway. I could hear Slash's guitars there, but I didn't have to watch what was going on onstage. And as I was standing there, I overheard someone say "who is the cover band up there?" Ouch. And it didn't sound like a sarcastic remark, either.

That's too bad. I'm kind of on the fence regarding GNR songs. I would love to hear Slash play them, but Myles singing them is just not the same (obviously). I like Myles' singing though, most of the time, but not on GNR songs. There's a difference when he's the opening act, of course. Most people are there for Aerosmith, so odds are they haven't been following Slash so closely. I don't know if it's always so, but a setlist I saw on here when he was opening, almost half of it were GNR songs. That's probably because he knows most people in the audience will know these songs, but not his own.

The person asking about the cover band, was probably not really watching, and heard and knew it wasn't GNR, so obviously thought it was a cover band. More proof that the audience was there for Aerosmith. In my experience, opening acts rarely get a lot of attention.

I'm seeing them headlining later this year, so I bet that'll be totally different experience.

Right? But you can always find one or two local bar guitar players and complete losers 'hating' on Slash. It's funny, 'cause saying that you 'hate' someone you don't know and someone who has no idea you exist is the ultimate proof of having a shit life.

I hate lots of people...

I'm sure you've lots of time to practice your mixolydian scales alone in your basement flat in between welfare checks.

I bet you're another one of those boring asshole musicians who think that just because they can read music and know all the theory they are better or more deserving than the guy who can't read, taught himself and made a massive career delighting millions of fans with his mastery of the craft of guitar playing.

You should head on over to a place like Yngwie Malmsteen (aka Whingey Cuntstain's) Fret-WankFest website with all the other muso shut-ins and complain about how there is no justice for guys like you.

If someone is an asshole to me I will respond in turn.

Even though Slash can BARELY play guitar, I will acknowledge that he knows how to play. I was talking about the person I was quoting.

And I don't see what level of talent has to do with records sold. Sid Vicious sold a bunch of records and he couldn't play bass or sing.

Wow

I hate lots of people...

If someone is an asshole to me I will respond in turn.

I don't think calling out your arrogance and delusion around what actually makes a great guitar player is being "an asshole".

I can't stand snobbery when it comes to music, the most fundamental and free to all vehicle of self expression there is.

I hate those theory monks who look down on a commoner like Slash dared to become famous without toiling through hours of music theory or mind numbing scales.

Slash knows very well HOW to play the guitar, its the WHY and THE WAY he plays it is what is different from you.

Slash can play the guitar, Buckethead can play the guitar, two utterly different spectrums but there is no deficiency in either's effectiveness to exude emotion and evoke appreciation in the listener. Slash has more than enough ability, ofc he is far better when he has Axl Rose to elevate his contributions but the man is a solid player who's shown the world he knows how to write a riff and lead that's constrained by the time and structure of a commercially viable song, that's also an under-appreciated aspect of playing an instrument. BH has also shown this but not to the extent Slash did in GNR, if he'd stayed in the band maybe we'd get to see it, but we have no doubt he could do this. Slash has not really gone off on BH like explorations so we don't know if he has the versatility to do this, he has no desire nor need to do this though with his touring schedule and chosen niche of music.

Edited by RandallFlagg

Slash can play the guitar, Buckethead can play the guitar, two utterly different spectrums but there is no deficiency in either's effectiveness to exude emotion and evoke appreciation in the listener. Slash has more than enough ability, ofc he is far better when he has Axl Rose to elevate his contributions but the man is a solid player who's shown the world he knows how to write a riff and lead that's constrained by the time and structure of a commercially viable song, that's also an under-appreciated aspect of playing an instrument. BH has also shown this but not to the extent Slash did in GNR, if he'd stayed in the band maybe we'd get to see it, but we have no doubt he could do this. Slash has not really gone off on BH like explorations so we don't know if he has the versatility to do this, he has no desire nor need to do this though with his touring schedule and chosen niche of music.

This is pretty much how I feel.

One shouldn't take a word like 'hate' so literally.

We officially have a new greatest fool on the forum, and it's name is Ernie.

I take this as a great honour.

I hope Slash doesn't give me my award trophy.

Edited by Evil Ernie
  • Like 1

I hate lots of people...

Holy crap.

I haven't seen a beatdown like that since Rodney King.

• Like 1

I hate lots of people...

Holy crap.

Classy...

Can't we all just get along?

Can we get along?

Naw, it's the way this forum has always been. You have your own opinion, you get personally attacked and you have to respond. Such as the person responding below me.

It's all good though. It's part of the fun.

It's really funny though, my original post was meant illustrate that as much as I don't like Slash I think that he actually did a really good job as a solo instrumentalist in this clip. I was actually showing respect.

Edited by Evil Ernie

I hate lots of people...

Holy crap.

Classy...

I know. I feel a bit dirty just getting into a conversation that pertains to you.

Now tell us again about all the people you "hate" and how great of a guitar player you are.