Doctor Who

Zint

Anyone watch this show?

Peter Capaldi is absolutely nailing the role in the new season that just started.

He is rapidly becoming my fav ot the "new" Doctors.

The second episode which was basically 'Fantastic Voyage inside a Dalek' was one of the best I've seen in a while.

Looking forward to seeing how the rest of the season plays out.

They need to sign the actors of The Doctor to longer term contracts as the turn over rate is ridiculous in that show- it was only five minutes ago that Tennant left and was replaced by that young guy. The guy from Our Friends in the North only lasted one week - what the hell do they do to these actors, torture them?

Eccleston didn't want to be in the show for that long. He even distanced himself from it. It was basically his biggest role to date and he hates that. But he did a "fantastic!" job of bringing The Doctor back to the small screen.

David Tenant took it a step further, the show became a huge hit in the U.K. and maybe some parts overseas, gathered a cult following in the U.S. but not quite big. Easily one of the most beloved Doctors, recently beating out Tom Baker in some polls, which no one ever thought possible.

Matt Smith actually took it even further, by his second season he has easily become yet another beloved Doctor, Tenant fans were ready to hate him, older fans scoffed at how young he was, but he blew them away. And his Doctor translated really well for American audiences and now, instead of waiting several months for a new Doctor Who Episode on BBC America, they play the same day.

Tenant and Smith were both around for awhile. They've done three series each, specials. Baker was the one who lasted the longest but most of the Doctors lasted no more than three years.

Capaldi had a lot going against him. He was older and Smith and Tenant are tough acts to follow. Especially Smith who really won over virtually all naysayers. Capaldi has proved he has more energy than those two combined. Haven't watched this night's episode yet, but from what I've seen so far, the series future is in good hands.

Eccleston didn't want to be in the show for that long. He even distanced himself from it. It was basically his biggest role to date and he hates that. But he did a "fantastic!" job of bringing The Doctor back to the small screen.

David Tenant took it a step further, the show became a huge hit in the U.K. and maybe some parts overseas, gathered a cult following in the U.S. but not quite big. Easily one of the most beloved Doctors, recently beating out Tom Baker in some polls, which no one ever thought possible.

Matt Smith actually took it even further, by his second season he has easily become yet another beloved Doctor, Tenant fans were ready to hate him, older fans scoffed at how young he was, but he blew them away. And his Doctor translated really well for American audiences and now, instead of waiting several months for a new Doctor Who Episode on BBC America, they play the same day.

Tenant and Smith were both around for awhile. They've done three series each, specials. Baker was the one who lasted the longest but most of the Doctors lasted no more than three years.

Capaldi had a lot going against him. He was older and Smith and Tenant are tough acts to follow. Especially Smith who really won over virtually all naysayers. Capaldi has proved he has more energy than those two combined. Haven't watched this night's episode yet, but from what I've seen so far, the series future is in good hands.

I have seen that the yanks have started to like Who. I keep running across American fans on the internet. It is an interesting development as, here, for years, it was seen as this slightly camp show, with slightly wobbly sets, and even wobblier acting. But it was kitsch - '60s and '70s kitsch - and liked for that. It was also quintessentially, British. I am not really a fan of the show but I do like the two Peter Cushing films (I am a fan of that period in British horror); they are not considered 'canon' though so Cushing is not considered technically one of the The Doctor's various incarnations which seems a bit unfair.

Returning to the show, when they brought it back with Ecclestone they actually had a budget for the first time in the show's history.

Absolutely spot on!

I was at Fan Expo in Toronto last weekend and I attended a special event featuring Matt Smith and Arthur Darvill. Karen Gillan was supposed to be there as well, but she cancelled due to scheduling (and fatigue). Those two guys played off each other brilliantly, fantastic senses of humour. It was funny as hell when they performed a duet on Bohemian Rhapsody (relunctantly).

Matt still has a huge following as the Doctor, but on Sunday the buzz throughout the convention halls after the second episode aired the night before was quite strong. Everyone was knocked by the episode and many were saying that Capaldi was on the fastrack to becoming their favourite of the new Doctors...he's already there for me. I think he's excellent in the role.

Having an older Doctor must please the fans of the old show. I was all for Capeldi after watching some material of him as Malcolm Tucker for In The Loop and The Thick of It. I do like he has great chemistry with Jenna Coleman, I wanted to like her as Clara but she seemed out of place when she was with Matt Smith, she had big shoes to fill but she and Capeldi hit it off.

Hope to watch yesterday's episode after Boardwalk.

Having an older Doctor must please the fans of the old show. I was all for Capeldi after watching some material of him as Malcolm Tucker for In The Loop and The Thick of It. I do like he has great chemistry with Jenna Coleman, I wanted to like her as Clara but she seemed out of place when she was with Matt Smith, she had big shoes to fill but she and Capeldi hit it off.

Hope to watch yesterday's episode after Boardwalk.

I discovered Doctor Who during the Tom Baker years when the new episodes used to air here on TVO (Toronto's version of PBS basically).

I was instantly hooked and Baker is still my favourite Doctor to this day.

It doesn't matter to me how old the Doctor is, I've enjoyed all the Doctors since the series was rebooted.

I became quite the fan of Matt Smith's Doctor, Eccleston's take I prefered over Tenent...but I'm really enjoying the new Doctor, and it's not really based on his age, it's moreso the attitude and sense of scepticism this Doctor is bringing, and just the way Capaldi is presenting himself as the Doctor with this " you can't be fucking serious" smirk on his face. Three episodes in and still, this guy is rapidly approaching Tom Baker's throne in my fandom of the show...he'll never usurp Baker though, not for me.

• 4 weeks later...

First Doctor - 1963 to 1966

Second Doctor - 1966 to 1969

Third Doctor - 1970 to 1974

Fourth Doctor - 1974 to 1981 (longest of any Doctor)

Fifth Doctor - 1981 to 1984

Sixth Doctor - 1984 to 1986

Seventh Doctor - 1987 to 1989 plus first five minutes of a 1996 movie

Eighth Doctor - 1996 for one movie

Ninth Doctor - 2005, only one season

Tenth Doctor - 2005 to 2008 plus 2009 to 2010 with specials.

Eleventh Doctor - 2010 to 2013

Twelfth - 2014 to present.

• Like 1

I've watched Dr Who since 1969/1970 & have seen all the Drs apart from Sylvester McCoy (didn't like him). The 2nd Dr Patrick Troughton told his replacement 3yrs is enough. The long hours & conditions they worked under in those days with a very low budget made for actors becoming ill, long time spent away from family & this caused them to leave. I found this interview with Peter Davison very interesting, there are differences with story lines which obviously causes conflict.

What one is Pertwee you geek?

What one is Pertwee you geek?

1. Wiliam Hartnell

2. Patrick Troughton

3. Jon Pertwee

4. Tom Baker

5. Peter Davison

6. Colin Baker

7. Sylvester McCoy

8. Paul McGann

9. Christopher Eccleston

10. David Tennant (Peter Davison's son in law)

11. Matt Smith

12. Peter Capaldi

Peter Cushing in a movie in the 1960s.