2016 National Football League (NFL) Regular Season

Ace Nova

So the celebration penalty that Baldwin got his team a 15-yard penalty for was him pretending to take a dump on the football........that's the kind of stuff that makes me not like the Seahawks. Why in the world would you celebrate a TD on the game's biggest stage, with hundreds of millions of people watching - by doing that? Baldwin has always been a douche, but come on.

Remember when TD celebrations were funky dances or spiking the ball over the goal post?.

I wondered what he actually did, they didn't show what the penalty was for, they just said unsportsmanlike. I could see that penalty then.

He pretended to pull his pants down. Then crouched over the football.

Afterwards he said it was directed at one person, but he didn't identify who.

If it means anything to you, I also read that the Hawks are the 2016 super bowl favorites .......over the Patriots!

So the celebration penalty that Baldwin got his team a 15-yard penalty for was him pretending to take a dump on the football........that's the kind of stuff that makes me not like the Seahawks. Why in the world would you celebrate a TD on the game's biggest stage, with hundreds of millions of people watching - by doing that? Baldwin has always been a douche, but come on.

Remember when TD celebrations were funky dances or spiking the ball over the goal post?.

I wondered what he actually did, they didn't show what the penalty was for, they just said unsportsmanlike. I could see that penalty then.

He pretended to pull his pants down. Then crouched over the football.

Afterwards he said it was directed at one person, but he didn't identify who.

If it means anything to you, I also read that the Hawks are the 2016 super bowl favorites .......over the Patriots!

Considering the Hawks salary cap and FA class they need to sign or replace that prediction is a little premature at best

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/seattle-seahawks/

http://www.foxsports.com/arizona/story/seattle-seahawks-russell-wilson-super-bowl-waste-opportunity-020115

i would take two cracks running the ball with lynch from a yard out over trying to throw in those tight spaces against a very good patriot secondary any day of the week. plus with 28 seconds to go with a timeout the seahawks could still get a third play off without ever throwing the football. they practice this stuff, they practice situations just like this. after the lynch run even if he doesnt get in you are only going to was 4 or 5 seconds. that gives you 24-23 seconds to run 2 more plays. you call the timeout(if lynch doesnt get in i still think the patriots were conceding the score, bilichick did the samething against the giants in the superbowl) and you call your two plays you would have plenty of time to run the plays.

Edited by bran
  • Like 1

i would take two cracks running the ball with lynch from a yard out over trying to throw in those tight spaces against a very good patriot secondary any day of the week. plus with 28 seconds to go with a timeout the seahawks could still get a third play off without ever throwing the football. they practice this stuff, they practice situations just like this. after the lynch run even if he doesnt get in you are only going to was 4 or 5 seconds. that gives you 24-23 seconds to run 2 more plays. you call the timeout(if lynch doesnt get in i still think the patriots were conceding the score, bilichick did the samething against the giants in the superbowl) and you call your two plays you would have plenty of time to run the plays.

Or if he was going to throw at least do a play action with a roll out as it would have been tough for the Pats with that Defensive package to cover as well as contain Wilson as they would have been crashing the line to stop Lynch. Have to believe someone would have been open or Wilson walks in for the TD. If it fail you still have time for another couple of runs with one time out left.

Or if he was going to throw at least do a play action with a roll out as it would have been tough for the Pats with that Defensive package to cover as well as contain Wilson as they would have been crashing the line to stop Lynch. Have to believe someone would have been open or Wilson walks in for the TD. If it fail you still have time for another couple of runs with one time out left.

if they did a bootleg on that play instead of a throw, wilson walks into the endzone. it would have been a one on one with the DE and wilson wins that matchup, you saw what he did to chandler jones :lol:

Edited by bran

Ther was less than a minute left, you've got the Legion of Boom defence, you've got Beast Mode in your back field, you've got 2 time outs left, you're on the one yard line and you have 3 downs to punch it in. So of course you throw the fucking ball and then after the game state that the play on 2nd down was meant to burn time off the clock. WHAT THE FUCK???!!!!

That was literally the worst coaching decision in the history of sports. Even if you had me at RB you run that ball three times I a row if you have to. Unbelievable. Also the entire world knew it was a running play. Is there anyone on the planet other than Pete Carroll who thought they should throw the ball? STUPID!!! If I was Russell Wilson I would've begged to have them run it and I would've called a time out at the line too just to emphasize my point that we should run it.

There will never be a coaching screw up as big as that. What's funny though is the entire world is acknowledging how stupid the coach was. Had that been the Dallas Cowboys and Tony Romo the entire world would be crucifying Tony Romo for throwing the INT and the coach's decision to throw it would be an afterthought.

Super Bowl 50: Cowboys vs Patriots

• Like 1

Naw......they would have had to rush like mothers on the final play - if the third down play didn't work. Do you really want to be scrambling and running to try and get your last play in on time in your bid to win the super bowl?

The play would have ended with about 20 seconds left - Seahawks call a time out and come up with two plays. Another running play burns off 5-6 seconds......then the Hawks are scrambling to get back to the line, get set up, and then run the final play of the game. Teams running the hurry up offense usually take 15 seconds between plays. That's teams that run it all the time, not just in special occasions.

The other downside is that what if Lynch gets tackled in the backfield and loses five yards on the prior play? And/or what if Beast Mode keeps fighting and pushing his legs and doesn't go down - just eating seconds off the clock. What if eight Patriots are laying on top of Lynch in a pile. Do you run the same goal line play that you had from the 1 yard line if all of a sudden you have the ball on the 6 yard line???? While you are scrambling to the line of scrimmage to try and get your final play off? You know what happens if the Hawks get a false start penalty with 5 seconds left - right?

Seattle's real mistake was wasting a time out with the Kearse catch.

And then NOT using their final time out with a minute left in the game. Both coaches let the clock run down to 28 seconds. If Carroll burns his final time out there - with 58 seconds left, then his team can easily run three running plays with Lynch. By letting the clock run down to 28 seconds, Carroll screwed himself. Now his team had to rush and make quick decisions.....Carroll got outcoached. But more so on that final non-time out than he did with the pass play. The OC description of needed to stop the clock made perfect sense. If the Hawks run a play with a minute left, they don't need to pass the ball. they just hand it to Lynch three times in a row.

Bran, I'm still confused about your assertion that the Pats were trying to let them Hawks score so they could get the ball back (with under 20 seconds). Why would Bill let 25 seconds run off the clock if he wanted to give Brady a chance? And the Hawks said that NE had their goal line defense in the game and that's one reason they tried the pass. And Bill let the time run down to force Seattle to burn their final time out and for the Hawks to make quick decisions. Every single thing that happened points against your theory. Why wouldn't they have just let Lynch initially score - why stop him at the one yard line and waste 40 more seconds off the clock? IF the Pats were trying to let the Hawks score.........then Billichick and the Pats bumbled it as bad as fashion as the Hawks did with their plays in the final minute.

tl/dr version

If the Hawks use their last time out after the Lynch run to the one yard line, then they don't have to do a pass play, and they now have three plays to punch the ball in from one yard out.

By letting the clock run down to 28 seconds, the Hawks forced themselves to try the pass play. If not, they might have only had time for one more play.

The horrible decision wasn't the pass play. It was not taking the time out earlier. Which forced them to make the pass play decision.

You want Lynch for three plays or one play? Call the time out earlier.

Edited by Apollo

Naw......they would have had to rush like mothers on the final play - if the third down play didn't work. Do you really want to be scrambling and running to try and get your last play in on time in your bid to win the super bowl?

The play would have ended with about 20 seconds left - Seahawks call a time out and come up with two plays. Another running play burns off 5-6 seconds......then the Hawks are scrambling to get back to the line, get set up, and then run the final play of the game. Teams running the hurry up offense usually take 15 seconds between plays. That's teams that run it all the time, not just in special occasions.

The other downside is that what if Lynch gets tackled in the backfield and loses five yards on the prior play? And/or what if Beast Mode keeps fighting and pushing his legs and doesn't go down - just eating seconds off the clock. What if eight Patriots are laying on top of Lynch in a pile. Do you run the same goal line play that you had from the 1 yard line if all of a sudden you have the ball on the 6 yard line???? While you are scrambling to the line of scrimmage to try and get your final play off? You know what happens if the Hawks get a false start penalty with 5 seconds left - right?

Seattle's real mistake was wasting a time out with the Kearse catch.

And then NOT using their final time out with a minute left in the game. Both coaches let the clock run down to 28 seconds. If Carroll burns his final time out there - with 58 seconds left, then his team can easily run three running plays with Lynch. By letting the clock run down to 28 seconds, Carroll screwed himself. Now his team had to rush and make quick decisions.....Carroll got outcoached. But more so on that final non-time out than he did with the pass play. The OC description of needed to stop the clock made perfect sense. If the Hawks run a play with a minute left, they don't need to pass the ball. they just hand it to Lynch three times in a row.

Bran, I'm still confused about your assertion that the Pats were trying to let them Hawks score so they could get the ball back (with under 20 seconds). Why would Bill let 25 seconds run off the clock if he wanted to give Brady a chance? And the Hawks said that NE had their goal line defense in the game and that's one reason they tried the pass. And Bill let the time run down to force Seattle to burn their final time out and for the Hawks to make quick decisions. Every single thing that happened points against your theory. Why wouldn't they have just let Lynch initially score - why stop him at the one yard line and waste 40 more seconds off the clock? IF the Pats were trying to let the Hawks score.........then Billichick and the Pats bumbled it as bad as fashion as the Hawks did with their plays in the final minute.

tl/dr version

If the Hawks use their last time out after the Lynch run to the one yard line, then they don't have to do a pass play, and they now have three plays to punch the ball in from one yard out.

By letting the clock run down to 28 seconds, the Hawks forced themselves to try the pass play. If not, they might have only had time for one more play.

The horrible decision wasn't the pass play. It was not taking the time out earlier. Which forced them to make the pass play decision.

You want Lynch for three plays or one play? Call the time out earlier.

Sorry not seeing it Apollo. I am still not buying Carroll was forced to pass on that play. The Pats could not stop Lynch all day so it is hard to believe he could not score with 2 cracks from the 1 yard line. In any case why run a straight pass play into the middle of the defense and not do a play action bootleg where Wilson can either throw or run. If nothing is there he throws it away and still has two more cracks at running Lynch with the one time out left.

it would have guaranteed the ball back with a little over 20 seconds with two timeouts. the seahawks would have to protect the sidelines leaving the middle of the field wide open for huge chunks of yards. the patriots then would have at least a crack at the endzone from a reasonable distance. calling your timeouts right there basically gives you 0 chance at even having a chance at the endzone. the play before the pick the seahawks were at the 6 or the 5 yardline, they stack 9 in the box with linebackers shooting the gaps to stuff the run. if lynch would have been stuffed their or gained a yard the patriots then would make their stand and call the timeouts, but when lynch broke a 4 yard run down to the one, the patriots knew they couldnt stop him. so the next play the only defensive player in the middle of the field was hightower and he was near the ref in the middle of the endzone, there was no one there to stuff the run lynch would have scored easily and i mean like still standing up hardly touched easy.

as for the time, any competent team in the NFL can get 3 plays off in 26 seconds with a timeout. if you were going to throw you could have given wilson a one man read where you could choose to throw or run the ball and at worst you chuck it into the seats and you still have a timeout with 2 plays to go. like i said if lynch would have been stuffed on second down you could call timeout and call two plays and you would still have 20 seconds to get those plays off.

Do we put any of the blame on Wilson? I don't even mean for the pick. I mean that every single person in the world who knows what a football is should have known that was the dumbest call in the history of sports. Audible out of the play and hand it to Lynch. Fuck Carrol. Giving Lynch the ball was literally the only legitimate choice in that circumstance.

• Like 1

s2_zpshabn1ntp.png

s2_zps2lef8zwn.png

yes the throw by wilson was a bad one, he should have him in the numbers on the inside but he threw outside on his back shoulder. throwing it on the numbers pretty much makes it impossible for butler to pick it off. then again butler was reading that play the whole time, he broke on the ball before wilson even threw it. it was just too risky to throw it.

I know it was probably the worst call ever!? Especially when you have Beastmode but some blame has to go to that suppose "greatest defense" ever when they allow Tom Brady to dominate them. Seriously Brady showcased his greatness that 4th quarter, going 13-15, 2td and 0 interceptions.

• Like 1

actually the patriots would have 2 timeouts to get into field goal range, my bad my memory sucks :lol: so letting them score gives one of the greatest qbs of all time who was on fire 20 seconds and 2 timeouts to set up a field goal for a very good kicker.

I know it was probably the worst call ever!? Especially when you have Beastmode but some blame has to go to that suppose "greatest defense" ever when they allow Tom Brady to dominate them. Seriously Brady showcased his greatness that 4th quarter, going 13-15, 2td and 0 interceptions.

that 4th quarter by brady is legendary he was just on fire. i think one of the biggest turning points of the game was the kearse(or mathews?) drop. wilson went deep again and hit him in the hands he just dropped it. if that pass is completed and the receiver holds onto the ball i think its game over for the patriots IMO, but that drop gave brady and the patriots new life and brady just went out of his mind.

Edited by bran
  • Like 1

I don't know if I'd say Brady dominated them as much as the offensive scheme dominated them. How many balls did Brady throw that travelled more than like 5 yards in the air? I don't know, but I don't remember many, just the balls to Gronk when Seattle, again in dumb as fuck fashion, put single man on him stretched outside. Collinsworth was literally laughing at them. Absolute gimme plays for the Pats every time they had that formation. The Pats were masterfully coached yesterday. The Hawks were atrociously coached. IMO that's the big difference.

Edited by magisme
  • Like 1

Exactly. But, no, let's run a slant over the middle from the 1 yard line to the 4th receiver on a very mediocre receiving corp. How many times do you see those types of passes get tipped up and picked off?

Wilson had to be shocked himself when the play call came in. Should've audibled out of it or just run it himself. But coaching staff needs to own this.

Just WOW...

I don't know if I'd say Brady dominated them as much as the offensive scheme dominated them. How many balls did Brady throw that travelled more than like 5 yards in the air? I don't know, but I don't remember many, just the balls to Gronk when Seattle, again in dumb as fuck fashion, put single man on him stretched outside. Collinsworth was literally laughing at them. Absolute gimme plays for the Pats every time they had that formation. The Pats were masterfully coached yesterday. The Hawks were atrociously coached. IMO that's the big difference.

thats how its always been with brady and belichick. those crossing routes with picks and rub plays are just hard to defend, especially with someone like a gronkowski who is as big and strong as he is that puts strain on the defense. it also shows why that whole myth about the deep ball being important is a bunch of shit. brady has always sucked at the deep ball(except when he had moss) and he missed some yesterday, but if you are accurate up to about 20 yards as brady is you can be a great qb. the patriots also have guys that can just flat out take a 5 yard pass and turn it into 20, their receivers are small and quick.

Edited by bran

Exactly. But, no, let's run a slant over the middle from the 1 yard line to the 4th receiver on a very mediocre receiving corp. How many times do you see those types of passes get tipped up and picked off?

Wilson had to be shocked himself when the play call came in. Should've audibled out of it or just run it himself. But coaching staff needs to own this.

Just WOW...

alot, we have all seen it a million times its why most of the country is still shocked by it. how many times watching have we seen the ball on that play hit off the shoulder pad and get picked, or off the receivers hands or someone make a break and make a big play on the ball like butler did. when youre down in the redzone all passing windows are a so tight that everything has to be perfect which is why it was beyond stupid they didnt put themselves in the best situation to win. like me and CR said(nearly at the same time :lol:) if you feel you need to pass, give wilson an option route where he can have one read and a chance to run you are giving yourself a chance to succeed and an out if you need it.

Just WOW...

alot, we have all seen it a million times its why most of the country is still shocked by it. how many times watching have we seen the ball on that play hit off the shoulder pad and get picked, or off the receivers hands or someone make a break and make a big play on the ball like butler did. when youre down in the redzone all passing windows are a so tight that everything has to be perfect which is why it was beyond stupid they didnt put themselves in the best situation to win. like me and CR said(nearly at the same time :lol:) if you feel you need to pass, give wilson an option route where he can have one read and a chance to run you are giving yourself a chance to succeed and an out if you need it.

With all those defenders in the box and the field spread how could the Pats possible have stopped Wilson if he rolled out and decided to run if there were no receivers open?

Take a look at the film here on ESPN. If Wilson rolls right there are no Patriot defenders outside the box to meet him except the DB's covering the receivers. If they come up to try to stop him the receiver is open. Looks like a sure TD to me. :shrugs:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/

• Like 1

Just WOW...

With all those defenders in the box and the field spread how could the Pats possible have stopped Wilson if he rolled out and decided to run if there were no receivers open?

Take a look at the film here on ESPN. If Wilson rolls right there are no Patriot defenders outside the box to meet him except the DB's covering the receivers. If they come up to try to stop him the receiver is open. Looks like a sure TD to me. :shrugs:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/

yup no doubt, that is the crazy part of all this i would like to see the mathematical formula for the % of victory after that lynch run to the one, sort of like they did with the bartman play between the cubs and marlins. on a side note the superbowl set the record for most watched program in US history with 114 million viewers.

Just WOW...

Yeah, and add in that Wilson is the shortest starting QB in the league and there's even more risk to such a call.

Never been so stunned as when he went back to pass. Still cannot believe it...

A strange wrinkle that may go unnoticed is that the Patriots accepted the ball to start the game. They typically take the ball at the half, particularly to prevent something like the 17 point swing that the Seahawks had.

I think that Seattle "deferred" when they won the toss, meaning they chose to defer the ball until the second half. So New England didn't have a choice.

When you defer that means they defer the choice to kick or receive to the other team, meaning New England could have chosen to kick.