The Boxing Thread

Len Cnut

Khan is gonna fight Alexander, I think that's a much tougher fight than Guerrero, only difference is The Ghost would have a chance of knocking Khan on his ass. no chance of outboxing him. Alexander is a crafty bastard and a decent trial run for Mayweather, not a patch on Money of course but it'll prepare you far better than plodding Guerrero and his chin will hold up so he won't get knocked out to the back of the queue again. He really ought to rematch Garcia then the winner gets Mayweather though.

Golovkin wiped out another no hoper, let's be honest, he's fighting ranked competitors but they have little chance against his impressive skills. The important thing is what he's doing to them, literally wiping the floor with them. He's gonna run out of opponents, Canelo, Cotto, Froch, Ward are the fights he needs but he needs a kind of stepping stone for more exposure/showcasing to entice the big fish over... maybe he'll get there after his next wipe out. Froch says he's a ridiculous risk for not enough money, Cotto and Roach are very quiet, Ward is up in weight and in some weird contract dispute, Canelo I have no doubt will get it on since he's been too heavy for 154 for a few years, I think he gets decapitated despite being a pretty solid candidate overall. Mayweather actually backed him up and Floyd doesn't have the greatest power.

Also just found this weird video of Tyson Fury calling out Price, this guy is a few cards short of a deck

'I'm going to do you some serious harm, you big stiff idiot' :lol: :lol:

Edited by RandallFlagg

Luke Campbell was great tonight, I'm liking this kid y'know, he might do well. Shame to see Katsidis knocked out, I like him, good honest scrapper.

'WHAT ARE YOU LOOKIN' AT?!?!?! HUH?!?!?!'

:lol:

Well, Martin Murray is GGG's next victim. February 21 in Monaco.

He's gonna get fucking flattened, exactly what GGG needs is a big lumbering fucking target, GGG's gonna walk right through him. y'know i love that fuckin' boy? Thats the way, one fight done, next one arranged, near future, no fuckin' about, the kids a throwback, he actually fights for a living, puts in work, gotta respect that kinda approach, thats the way it should be, champions by definition are supposed to be visible, doing their thing, like your Ali's for your Joe Louises, work, thats alls I'm sayin', work for a living.

Murray is a decent enough contender but I don't see anything in him that'll trouble Golovkin, yeah he gave Maravilla a rough night and might've won but Sergio was shot to shit with several injuries after that fat lazy slob Chavez almost did him in the 12th round. Murray is definitely a good test though and might just be the bridge between now and the serious fights. I could see this going 6-8 rounds cause Murray seems durable enough.

Didn't Katsidis say that to Guerrero before they fought if I remember right, Guerrero kinda just looked bemused. Marquez had a good fight with that guy.

Len, others ~ Here's a great read about the fight n where Ali got the rope a dope from.

http://m.espn.go.com/extra/boxing/story?storyId=11789004

There's been a ton of great fights since then but none come close to the impact on not just boxing but the world.

Imo, it was this fight that set the stage for Big George years later when he reclaimed the strap from Michael Moore....

• Like 2

Len, others ~ Here's a great read about the fight n where Ali got the rope a dope from.

http://m.espn.go.com/extra/boxing/story?storyId=11789004

There's been a ton of great fights since then but none come close to the impact on not just boxing but the world.

Imo, it was this fight that set the stage for Big George years later when he reclaimed the strap from Michael Moore....

That was fucking brilliant, i never knew that man, thank you :)

This is a tough one. Hopkins, who has been knocked down only a few times in his career, has been able to outbox big punchers throughout his career. Then, you have Kovalev, who all he does is knock people out. I'm going to say that age finally catches up to Hopkins and that Kovalev lands a few good shots that stop the fight. I'll go Kovalev in 8 rounds. So tough to predict though, as it can easily go either way--Hopkins outboxing or Kovalev only needing to catch him once or twice.

I call Hopkins, for no reason other than he's Hopkins. And i say that with a feeling of mild trepidation too, I mean he's hardly unbeatable, shit, Roy Jones done him in his prime...and i do mean done him, any doubt Hopkins throws on that fight is just breeze, Hopkins was doing his usual verbal (which i love btw) re-writing of history and making it so this fight had more gravity and that one was somehow irrelevant and it's like why, how, how the fuck, you were both in your prime, this ones the joke one. But he has an argument I guess cuz he really literally was a late bloomer, if i may understate a moment :lol:

But yeah, Kovalev is a banger but he's clumsy...and he can be touched...and once you know that, thats all you need to know, Hopkins will give you precision, economy of movement and just out-guile him. And i don't think it'll be the hardest of nights for him either. But that trepidation feeling is still there cuz Kovalev can hit.

forty fuckin' nine though. He really really REALLY is a throwback. And i ain't even talking 60s and 70s I'm talking Jack Dempsey era, in the total cynicism with which they just milked these guys, shit, there's videos out there was Jack Johnson in his 60s doing silly exhibitions. And he (hopkins) just doesn't look that old in there, so what can you say.

49 though.

Edited by Lennie Godber

I think Hopkins takes Kovalov into the deep end and puts his stamina and lack of ring experience to the test. B~Hop by decision.

That said, it wouldn't surprise me at all if Kovalov knocked Hopkins out, at any point. Its that type of fight where its a near 50/50 split.

I never been a big Hopkins fan, especially when he opens his mouth. But ya gotta respect what he's doin. Hes a legit living legend of the sport, still fighting at near 50!! That's so crazy...

Fights coming up:

Rabchenko vs Mundine

Klitschko vs Pulev

Jessie Vargas vs Antonio De Marco

Anthony Joshua vs Michael Sprott

George Groves vs Denis Douglin

James DeGale vs Marco Antonio Periban

Nathan Clevereley vs Tony Bellew

Manny Pacquiao vs Algeiri

Provodnikov vs Jose Luis Castillio

Tyson Fury vs Dereck Chisora

Billy Joe Saunders vs Chris Eubank Jnr

Terence Crawford vs Raymundo Beltran

Erislandy Lara vs Ishe Smith

Keith Thurman vs Leonard Bundu

Tim Bradley vs Diego Gabriel Chaves

Amir Khan vs Devon Alexander

Gennady Golovkin vs Martin Murray

The great Roy Jones gave a good summary saying Floyd and Hopkins are still doing well against the younger guys cause they don't teach fundamentals like they used to, he says the latest US boxing team didn't get a single olympic medal or something and the eastern european countries are absolutely miles beyond anyone else and will be dominating for a while.

Hopkins, well what can be said? He's a real specimen, fourty nine!!!!! The fuck is that about? He is nowhere near unbeatable, has his limits but also is a walking fucking encyclopedia on the game. He knows every trick in the book, he probably rewrote most of it himself. He's clearly seen some holes in Krusher's style he thinks he can exploit, you don't get in the ring with guys like this unless you have a strategy, let alone if you're half a century old. Kovalev has walked through everyone more or less, he's not as skilled AND devastating as GGG but his power is just as devastating and one shot, one slip from the old wise B-Hop and he might just find himself on another planet. He has very little to lose though. I got it 60-40 in Kova's favour, he ain't fought anyone on Hops level but c'mon this guy is literally as lethal and ruthless an opponent you could find. I'm not counting Bernard out though, he's proved it time and time again, don't give him no chance, give him something and I'll show him that respect alright.

RJJ also said Hopkins was boring in his prime and boring now, he waits all night for you to show your cards and then he reacts, I always love Jones and his observations but I'd like to see him try fight Kovalev and be unboring see if he keeps his jaw lol.

Well Captain Hook is doing the russian exhibition tour fighting bums in the relative term getting paid to beat up no hopers whilst Hopkins is very relevant on the accepted scale, I like Jones but he certainly don;t have the Alien's longevity and was certainly fairly beaten in their second fight, I take RJJ prime for prime as is what occurred but the guy can't seem to give Hop credit for what he's doing at this stage, 50 in any sport is pretty exotic let alone literal contact sport.