The Boxing Thread

Len Cnut

Yeah, i read about that, it was Earl Hayes, that name that used to bring up a lot, along with Philthy Rich Records (which no fuckers ever heard a song off of :lol:), he used to be skulking around the background of 24/7 and All Access Episodes, looking all appreciative.

Some interesting fights this weekend:

Erislandy Lara vs Ishe Smith (Lara for me)

Beibut Shumenov vs Bobby Thomas Jnr

Keith Thurman vs Leonard Bundu (ONE TIME BABY, ONE TIME!! :D)

Abner Mares vs Jose Ramirez

Tim Bradley vs Diego Chaves

Amir Khan vs Devon Alexander

Edited by Lennie Godber

Alot of great fights, no doubt. Whoever says boxing is dead, don't know shit.

About Duran, he's on most experts top 10 lists of "alltime" fighters, not just his class. Dude was in a litany of great fights in the 70's to, which often get forgotten about because of the great fights in the 80's. He's my least favorite of the four and I don't even know why, but damn he was good.

I love him to bits, he was relentless, a brilliant techical boxer too, volume puncher and hard as a rock with it.

And apart from that he was rude, arrogant, aggressive, unreasonable and he had a horrible attitude, perfect :lol: My least favorite of the four is Marvin Hagler and like yourself i dunno why either because he was damn good too.

Lol, you just described why Hagler is my favorite of them. He might just be my alltime favorite fighter to. Guy could punish you with both hands, switched from lefty to righty, didn't care if he got hit etc... just an animal in the ring.

Back then in the states they showed all the best fighters on regular tv. The big four, Aaron Pryor, Boom Boom Mancini, Arguello, it was great. I was like 8 years old but Hagler just stood out to me with his bald head and suede shorts. They always talked about how he was from the bad side of Chicago & wasn't given a fair shake until he was beating the hell out of everyone put in front of him.

Its pretty much why he quit the sport, cuz everything that he thought about boxing, the shady side, happened to him in the Leonard fight. Ray dodged him and became the new Ali, had they fought earlier Hagler would have retired Sugar.

Edited by T.wa.T

I just read that Antonio Tarver is calling out David Haye. Last night Tarver beat Johnathan Banks. Banks is Wlad Klitchkos head trainer, so Tarver wants to beat Haye to set up a potential title fight. I don't see him getting past Haye if they fought, he's 46 and isn't very active.

Edited by T.wa.T

Lol, you just described why Hagler is my favorite of them. He might just be my alltime favorite fighter to. Guy could punish you with both hands, switched from lefty to righty, didn't care if he got hit etc... just an animal in the ring.

Back then in the states they showed all the best fighters on regular tv. The big four, Aaron Pryor, Boom Boom Mancini, Arguello, it was great. I was like 8 years old but Hagler just stood out to me with his bald head and suede shorts. They always talked about how he was from the bad side of Chicago & wasn't given a fair shake until he was beating the hell out of everyone put in front of him.

Its pretty much why he quit the sport, cuz everything that he thought about boxing, the shady side, happened to him in the Leonard fight. Ray dodged him and became the new Ali, had they fought earlier Hagler would have retired Sugar.

Yknow, i was having a big talk about this with someone the other day, about Sugar and Marv', why do you think that? :)

Yeah, its a talking point in boxing an I suppose it comes down to who you like better. My take, from what I've read/heard was that Hagler wanted the fight a few years earlier but Ray wouldn't do it because he feared Marvins power. Marvin was also peaking around then, so basically Ray waited him out. Ray had time off (retired) and was a mini Ali so he wanted to stay in the spotlight as long as he could. Hell I even remember SRL Wheaties commercials and a commercial for Spalding boxing gloves, lol. Hagler took more punishment in the mean time with other fights. Ray was the flashy guy and Marvin was the guy with his lunchbox, big contrast between them, imo. Most of its hearsay but that's my take.

Above I mentioned how Hagler shifted from right to left, check this video out of GGG, its what I meant. Hagler was also a master at this.

https://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=vijD09_O8ek

Also Floyd has again called out Pac. Said he wants to fight on May 5th.

Unfortunatly, its 3 years to late. I think Floyd will win now. I hope Manny has one more in the tank, dudes taken alot more abuse in his career. Fought alot more times too.

Edited by T.wa.T

Duran was a fucking beast.

I'm hearing that Mayweather wants to fight Pacquiao, I reckon Canelo vs Cotto on cinco de mayo is forcing his hand, Khan whilst a decent match up is not going to get him the PPV lionshare over Canelo vs Cotto on that date especially. He already whooped Canelo and had a tough gritty fight with Cotto but this means shit when we consider what a fight those two will create. I actually think Mayweather has always wanted to fight Pacman but he's got this ego trip where he cannot stand the fact there's another ATG operating in his playing field.

Khan has a very intriguing match up with the slickster Alexander tonight, I think Khan's boxing skills are good enough to dismantle this guy, he's very rarely been outboxed by an opponent and Devon don't have too much power.

Thurman is fighting some 40 year old isn't he? If he comes out of this, surely it's time for someone to step up since his name's gotta be attracting enough cash by now? Malignaggi and him have a bit of a feud, I remember watching a video of him saying repeatedly STOP DUCKING ME SON over and over to Paulie :lol:

Thurman is fighting some 40 year old isn't he? If he comes out of this, surely it's time for someone to step up since his name's gotta be attracting enough cash by now? Malignaggi and him have a bit of a feud, I remember watching a video of him saying repeatedly STOP DUCKING ME SON over and over to Paulie :lol:

I hear Al Haymon is purposely under matching cuz he's worried he'll put a lot of his other more marketable roster members to sleep.

I hear Al Haymon is purposely under matching cuz he's worried he'll put a lot of his other more marketable roster members to sleep.

I watched a couple of One Time's fights the other night, this guy is a quality fighter, until he ''steps up'' we won't know for sure ofc but I have high hopes. He's said repeatedly he doesn't care if his 0 goes as long as he goes down fighting, this guy is always an interesting interview, he's not exactly 'young' for a fighter anymore so let's hope for quality match ups. He definitely wants Maidana.

Khan has decent power and elite speed but his IQ seems pretty damn low and he won't outweigh Floyd by 20 pounds like Maidana, Ortiz, and Canelo, maybe even Cotto. He has a chance but no more than anyone else, he just has great combinations and speed. Floyd can adapt to this extremely easily if Danny Garcia and Peterson can do enough to either stop him or make a claim for a decision, hell even Diaz put up a solid effort. Mayweather is an all time great, he will adapt to Khan after 2 rounds imo, though at least Khan offer something different, speed and combinations. This is absolutely nothing on what Pacman would present Mayweather with in terms of effective aggression though. This fight is 60-40 to Mayweather but I had the first Maidana fight 75-25 to Floyd and Maidana's pressure got to him so lord knows.

Edited by RandallFlagg

As an aside here, I will be impressed as hell if Khan stops Alexander, I'll be equally as shocked if Alexander stops Khan, his chin isn't too solid but Devon is not a big puncher. There is literally no way in hell Floyd fights Alexander because it'll be an atrocious snoozefest that he'd win 12-0 so I hope DA doesn't pull it off either way.

Mayweather by Tko bar2-l.gifbar2.gifbar2-r.gifclear.gif16 16.00% Khan by Tko bar3-l.gifbar3.gifbar3-r.gifclear.gif2 2.00% Mayweather by decision bar4-l.gifbar4.gifbar4-r.gifclear.gif27 27.00% Khan by decision bar5-l.gifbar5.gifbar5-r.gifclear.gif55 55.00%

This is a poll on the biggest boxing site in the world, 55%! Don't agree with that but I guess people are bored of people trying to outweigh and outmuscle him. Gotta be said apart from Pacquiao and Golovkin there's no one left who's a threat to him.

Edited by RandallFlagg

It wont be anywhere near as good as the hype, Floyd will pick him apart, in my heart i imagine Leonard - Duran I but my common sense keeps reminding me we're talking about men in their mid to late 30s that, no matter what anyones rose tinted shades tell them, havent fought anywhere near as good as their peak for the last couple of years.

The Algieri fight showed just how easy it is to avoid Pacman, had Algieri been a little more solid on his feet and stuck out a jab he might've made a go of it, can you imagine if thats Floyd? He'll just pot shot him all night, Pacman will have to come on with sustained pressure and just volume punch the motherfucker, Duran him, you know how hard that shit is to keep up? At their age?