The Boxing Thread

Len Cnut

Cotto ducking Canelo, Oscar says the fight is off since the diva missed his fifth deadline. I don't reckon the fans will tune in for Cotto-Mayweather 2 if they both have ducked their nemesis of the moment... Cotto can fight Golovkin if he doesn't want if off Alvarez and is the middleweight champ, see how that works out for him.

Dont even say that out loud man, they're fighting this year and thats it, dont you jinx that shit :lol:

I keep hearing this Cotto rematch rumour and it's doing my head in! It was a close fight for a Mayweather fight if that makes sense, meaning he won 8-4 and Cotto had spurts of success, not close enough to warrant a rematch though, as entertaining as it was, if he ducks Pacman to rematch Cotto, who will be ducking the punishment he'd take in a Canelo/Golovkin fight, I don't even know what the fans will do. Sure, it's a decent match up and if there were no Floyd-Pac talks and Cotto wasn't the 160 champ with legit threats out there... it'd fly but at this poiny, no way it needs to happen again.

LOL at Larry

On a side note, the Wilder fight IS on Showtime tonight!!! Pretty excited about it, first heavyweight title fight I've watched live in forever. While I do like some of the lower weight classes (welter, light heavy, middle mainly) I've always been a heavyweight guy. Even though I'm not completly sold on Wilder just yet, I watched some highlights on the guy, and his knockouts are not really that impressive. Len compared him to George, but NO WAY does he have Big George type of power. He's probably closer to a Lennox Lewis than George Foreman, which isn't a bad thing, just doesn't make for really exciting fights. But having said that, I am rooting for him, and very much looking forward to tonight.

Lennox was a much better fighter than Wilder, and so was big George, even whilst coming up the ranks. I would say more Michael Grant!

Wilder is big and strong, and has obvious power. But who has he fought?

Agreed. His fight record makes Tyson's look like he fought legends (which I'm only talking about his opponents before his first title fight), so I completly agree that he has fought complete scrubs, but he did knock out all 32 of em' before 5 rounds, thats gotta count for something. The reason why I compared him to Lennox is because, like Lennox, he is just going to jab and straight you, use his reach, etc. He's not one to try and mix it up at close range, at least from what I've seen. Yes I also agree that Lennox was a much better overall fighter. Wilder is kind of a mix of Foreman and Lewis, he is rough around the edges like Foreman, but his style is more like Lennox.

BTW, ouch on the Grant comparisions, I sure as hell hope not. But I have heard a few people say that. But luckily he is NOT fighting Lennox Lewis tonight...

Is anyone else watching or even excited about it?

Edited by Iron MikeyJ

Round 1 - 10-9, Wilder

Wow! Did wilder jus prove me wrong! WOW!

Thats 3 rounds to wilder

4th you could make a case for both

Round 5 Wilder

My prediction was based on i thought he wouldn have the discipline, hes proving me wrong though!

Round 6 Stiverne

Round 7, Wilder

Round 8, could go either way, Wilder worked the more but Stiverne had the bigger punches overall

Round 9, Wilder

Round 10, Wilder

Round 11, just call him Deontay Mayweather :lol:

I think we have a new heavyweight champion folks :D

And that oughta do it! :D

Boxing is the most inaccessible and undemocratic sport ever. I was actually up last night because I couldn't sleep, flicked through the radio: fuck all. You cannot even listen to it for free let alone, watch it. I did however find coverage of Australia v India so that kept me occupied.

Shit man, I got to watch it ion tv for free. Well free since we already pay for Showtime, but still better than a PPV. I did already plant the seed to my wife about the May 2nd PPV. She isn't real happy about the price, but I kept saying "It's a once in a generation type fight, we gotta watch it."

Really a rematch vs Cotto? Why Floyd? Why? Nobody wants to see that, nobody will care to even buy that fight, might as well just show it for free on Showtime. Which I probably still wouldn't even watch it. If he doesn't fight Pacman, its clear to me that he is scared of him. He's more interested in remaining undefeated, than being a true legend, which is really sad. Floyd, the legends of the past would of mopped the floor with your little bitch ass. Scared to fight Pacman, what do you think Hearns or Leonard would have done to you??? Be a man, or be a pussy, your choice.

50 Cent basically just said "it ain't happen." Why? Because Floyd wants to "protect his record" that way when he's done everyone can look at his record like he's some kind of bad ass. I'm sorry but his record don't mean shit without Pacman's name on it, it just doesn't. Who you fight is what makes you a legend, not being undefeated....

Floyd is a scared little puss....

Manny is doing a new interview tonite. I think its on CBS. 60 Minutes or something.

Also, I watched the Conor McGregor UFC fight last night. Not only is he badass, but if the new PBC is going to be successful, they should model their pre an post fight show after what UFC did. They had current fighters breaking the fight down, talked about rankings, future fights etc... It was well done.

Really a rematch vs Cotto? Why Floyd?

I suppose the thinking is that, other than Pacqiuao, he's given him the best test to date. Bloodied his nose if you recall. This was followed by his re-recruiting his Dad, who is known to teach defensive styles more, rather than Uncle Roger, the excuse being his diabetes.

If he doesn't fight Pacman, its clear to me that he is scared of him.

He'd have to be some kind of nobhead to back out now, having made so much noise about it. Still, seems suss eh? Cotto refusing Canelo I mean...and Cotto ain't someone who pussies out of fights, perhaps there's something bigger on the horizon?

He's more interested in remaining undefeated, than being a true legend, which is really sad.

REALLY fucking sad.

50 Cent basically just said "it ain't happen." Why? Because Floyd wants to "protect his record" that way when he's done everyone can look at his record like he's some kind of bad ass. I'm sorry but his record don't mean shit without Pacman's name on it, it just doesn't. Who you fight is what makes you a legend, not being undefeated....

Fif' ain't really part of Floyds inner circle now so thats just his opinion but I wouldn't be suprised if there was something to it.

His model was Chuck Wepner but you might also say, Micky Ward or LaMotta.. Apollo Creed is like a cocky out boxer a la Ali

And uh, what did the real Creed do to the real Rocky? :D

I do know that the real Rocky put the real Creed on the canvas in the 9th.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_92K8k31rU

Or, the real creed slipped cuz the real rocky was using the real illegal act of stepping on his foot as he punched him, resulting in the rest of the fight being a one sided panelling ending in a 15th round knockout.

I can see you believe the Ali spin machine then.

His model was Chuck Wepner but you might also say, Micky Ward or LaMotta.. Apollo Creed is like a cocky out boxer a la Ali

And uh, what did the real Creed do to the real Rocky? :D

I do know that the real Rocky put the real Creed on the canvas in the 9th.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_92K8k31rU

Or, the real creed slipped cuz the real rocky was using the real illegal act of stepping on his foot as he punched him, resulting in the rest of the fight being a one sided panelling ending in a 15th round knockout.

I can see you believe the Ali spin machine then.

So that was the Ali spin machine pounding him in the 15th til he was flailing around like he was on acid dancing in a field with the ghost of Jim Morrison? :lol: When was the last time you ever saw a light body shot make a man fall backwards? That aint no Ali spin, thats an old boxing tactic, southpaws do it a lot.

Man, Cotto ducking Canelo and looking like Floyd ducking Pacman, fucking bullshit but it's what we've come to expect... unless May-Pac is announced on Superbowl weekend and Cotto was just waiting to make sure Alvarez doesn't do anything idiotic and try and fight on the same date... Froch also got an elbow injury so won't be fighitng Fat Chavez Jr in march.