The Boxing Thread

Len Cnut

It wont be anywhere near as good as the hype, Floyd will pick him apart, in my heart i imagine Leonard - Duran I but my common sense keeps reminding me we're talking about men in their mid to late 30s that, no matter what anyones rose tinted shades tell them, havent fought anywhere near as good as their peak for the last couple of years.

This. If it happens, I'll buy it and be excited. But it won't match the hype. It'll be good for boxing, but only for now. Once these two are done, where do we go from here???

It wont be anywhere near as good as the hype, Floyd will pick him apart, in my heart i imagine Leonard - Duran I but my common sense keeps reminding me we're talking about men in their mid to late 30s that, no matter what anyones rose tinted shades tell them, havent fought anywhere near as good as their peak for the last couple of years.

The Algieri fight showed just how easy it is to avoid Pacman, had Algieri been a little more solid on his feet and stuck out a jab he might've made a go of it, can you imagine if thats Floyd? He'll just pot shot him all night, Pacman will have to come on with sustained pressure and just volume punch the motherfucker, Duran him, you know how hard that shit is to keep up? At their age?

Unless Manny & Freddy Roach have some master secret, I'm afraid youre right. That's why I'm hoping Manny has a throw back kinda night and takes 2 to land 1. I believe he's become less of a brawler to preserve and extend his career. Maybe, & that's a BIG MAYBE he turns back the clock and puts Floyd in trouble.

It's definatly gonna take a master performance and a huge volume of punches just to wear Floyd down a bit.

The Algieri fight showed just how easy it is to avoid Pacman, had Algieri been a little more solid on his feet and stuck out a jab he might've made a go of it, can you imagine if thats Floyd? He'll just pot shot him all night, Pacman will have to come on with sustained pressure and just volume punch the motherfucker, Duran him, you know how hard that shit is to keep up? At their age?

I'd have to agree with Lenny on this one.

Mayweather was smart enough to stall Pacman until he was past his prime. (And/Or Vice-Versa) Pacman is way too slow to even come close to beating Mayweather at this point. It could go the distance....but if it does, expect nothing but yawns throughout. I don't see either one of these guys knocking each other down....like ever.

Edited by Kasanova King

Unless Manny & Freddy Roach have some master secret, I'm afraid youre right. That's why I'm hoping Manny has a throw back kinda night and takes 2 to land 1. I believe he's become less of a brawler to preserve and extend his career. Maybe, & that's a BIG MAYBE he turns back the clock and puts Floyd in trouble.

It's definatly gonna take a master performance and a huge volume of punches just to wear Floyd down a bit.

Perhaps it's not as far fetched as it sounds and look, wasn't that Money getting tagged in the corner by Maidana? And Pacman has the fuckin' moves y'know. His skill set really isn't that far off Mayweathers, it's just he's a lot more of an attacking fighter and, his biggest failing, when he gets the bit between his teeth he's starts leaping in like Torvill and Dean. Other than that, his side to side, the way he slips punches coming forward, there's a video of Tyson on youtube raving about how Manny did that shit against Rios, Tysons dick gets hard watching that shit cuz thats what he used to do, albeit from a more crouched position but the intent is identical, to slip coming forward and rain down on em.

Perhaps it's not as far fetched as it sounds and look, wasn't that Money getting tagged in the corner by Maidana? And Pacman has the fuckin' moves y'know. His skill set really isn't that far off Mayweathers, it's just he's a lot more of an attacking fighter and, his biggest failing, when he gets the bit between his teeth he's starts leaping in like Torvill and Dean. Other than that, his side to side, the way he slips punches coming forward, there's a video of Tyson on youtube raving about how Manny did that shit against Rios, Tysons dick gets hard watching that shit cuz thats what he used to do, albeit from a more crouched position but the intent is identical, to slip coming forward and rain down on em.

Good point there, I also wonder how much Mannys south pawstyle will help? He sometimes keeps his shoulders too squared when he's brawling but when he's fighting as a true lefty maybe he can make Floyd feint to his right by using his jab (right hand) setting up an angle with his left (power hand). Nice dream eh??? So simple it'll work for sure..... ;)

Of course Manny feinted himself into a nap against JMM, lol. So who the fuck am I lmao.....

Or a shot to Floyds liver with the right hand (hook). That would be something.

The way Floyd naturally hides behind his right hand when he leans that way, maybe his left elbow comes up a bit leaving an opening..

He is literally calling out Pacquiao for the first time except for the post-Ortiz bitch slap 'Yes Manny Pacquiao, you're next'. I have my doubts until I see Mayweather and Pacquiao literally across the damn ring from eachother but this is pretty good for a boxing fan, better late than never since they both show equal measure of decline (yet still good enough to take anyone else from 140-154 out).

Klitscko got ESPN's knock-out of the year.

Is the Mayweather-Pac fight still the ultimate boxing fight of the decade? Three or four years ago it was no doubt. But a year from now? Neither guy is in his prime any more.

Ive given up on boxing the last couple of years, so I really don't know. I see Floyd beating guys Ive barely heard of. And Manny losing fights. My question is for the boxing junkies. If they fight in late 2015 is it relevant because of their historic names? Like old guys past their prime like Tyson, Holyfield, Holmes, etc. Popular just because we love the names and have been waiting years for it to happen. Or are they still young and in their prime and their "names" dont matter.

Basically, is either guy better today than he was four years ago?

Both of them have declined equally imo, but they are still several rungs up above the rest of the 140-154 weight class, these two are as competitive as 2009 imo. I just cannot believe what Pacquiao has left to fight if he don't get Floyd, it's absolutely pathetic, he's had a tough run in his career but having Vargas or stupid pointless rematches left over, that's almost insulting. I know Khan would fight him if Mayweather ducks them both. I think Pacman knocks Khan out in 5 and I'm even 50/50 whether Khan makes it 12 against Floyd, Khan is an incredible boxer don't get me wrong, he just lacks a solid chin and his IQ is still dodgy for me, he performed amazingly against Alexander but these two are all time greats... if Garcia and Peterson can time Khan after a couple rounfs, Pac and May have got his number, that's not really insulting him, just stating the obvious.

Was out of town for the holidays, then had family family coming here this week. Missed the Rigondeaux fight. Wasn't he forced to go to Japan for this one because of HBO not wanting him?

That would be great news on Pac and Floyd.

Not so great news in Golden Boy and Haymon going separate ways. More politics--should be fun talking about even more potential fights that will have trouble getting made...

Broner also apparently rejected a 5 year, $40 million offer from Jay-Z's promotion company. Did anybody catch Jay-Z's card last night? Was apparently his company's first one.

Edited by ronaldo9

I actually don't believe Floyd has ever been scared of Pacquiao in a head to head sense. I think it's more of an ego trip where he can't believe fans hold this little Filipino on the same level as him and that this dude has destroyed Cotto, Margarito, Hatton, De La Hoya and Barrera, Mosley, Morales... it's an insane resume (as is Floyd's) but they are so different yet equally compelling. I think he fears that someone else is an all time great despite losing and despite being an offensive powerhouse, he's nowhere near Floyd's technical ability but his ferocity and unique assault poses issues for absolutely any welter/light weight in history. He obviously tries to link everything to Pacman being on PED's which is a fair point but PED's alone, whether he was on them or not, don't take you that far.

He has been ducking him for a few years now, regardless of whether he offered him $40 mil up front, decent offer with regards to each's PPV draw but that's beside the point, Pacquiao would've been an absolute idiot to not barter for any PPV slice. Floyd hasn't lost going into this, he is under extreme pressure, almost unfair pressure, but he's created that himself by mocking Pacquaio, downsizing his achievements to the obsessive claim he's on PED's cause he outperformed Floyd against some common opponents. Pacquiao just clearly beat a legit top 10 P4P previously in Bradley and a decent but Guerrero-level guy in Algieri, he hammered Rios after being KTFO which is no slouch of a performance... I don't see him declining any more than Floyd has. It'll be a fucking immense fight, Floyd will be forced to throw some combinations and Pacman will be forced to assault the guy like no one else, if he gets into a rhythm and nullifies him, it's over by round 4 imo.

Maidana would give anyone hell these days so I don't take these 'oh Floyd is shot' claims at all, Broner is a very good fighter, flawed and deluded but still technically sound, Maidana didn't hand him a can of whoop ass for no reason, Garcia is a good trainer and has elevated him since he was smoked by Alexander.

Lastly, Floyd has reasonable points saying he beat a younger Oscar, where this guy picked the weight, gloves and ring. He beat Marquez 12-0 (styles make fights ofc), he beat Hatton as undefeated with no training fuck ups, he beat Mosley first, absolutely slaughtered him after that second round scare... these often get overlooked which I can understand him being pissed at and constantly called a coward, which he's not, he's not the most ambitious fighter but he's a phenomenal boxer.

Edited by RandallFlagg