The Boxing Thread

Len Cnut

Its amazing how much of like, the boxing establishment exists cuz of Ali. For example, Don King, made by Ali or rather made by his hustler nature in being able to blag a countrys government (which on it's own is pretty spectacular, the fuckin' nerve that must take, he secured Ali and Foremans signature to sign on to fight for 5 mil a piece...and he didn't have the fuckin' money, managed to procure it after the fact by blagging President Mobutu's representatives, THAT my friends, is called a hustler, bless him :lol:) And then you have like Top Rank, which was set up by Herbert Muhammad and Bob Arum.

I like Broner, but...he's a cunt

:lol:

We all understand Ronnie :lol:

Didn't he tell Jay Z to go fuck himself and also that Rihanna was only good for steady pumpin'...before apologising hours later :lol:

Haha, yeah, but Jay-Z obviously low balled him with that promotion offer. I mean, Broner's about billions, not some measly eight figure contract that was probably fairly valued...

Khan's right on point...Floyd needs to step up and give the people what they truly want. He better not duck Khan to fight some bum like Pacquiao.

And, with the Don King talk, here he is discussing how he's going to try to get Tyson to make a comeback: http://www.badlefthook.com/2015/1/14/7548263/don-king-wants-mike-tyson-to-fight-bermane-stiverne

Not sure who is the most delusional: Broner comparing himself to LeBron, Khan setting a deadline for Mayweather amidst all of the Pacquiao news, or King wanting to get Tyson back in the ring.

• Like 1

Whose era has this been, May vs Pac will decide, one prides himself on his largely immaculate record and performances of wizardry, the other is the boxing fan's dream with the cliché highs and lows, obviously ten times more highs. If he did a number on Floyd and sparked Marquez in a fifth fight (he's only actually beat Dinamita once in my eyes) it'd be unreal as if it isn't already. If Mayweather takes out Pacman what the fuck else does he have left to prove?

Watched Ali v Frazier I and II, last night. The main difference is, Ali dances in the second one; Ali dances more in the first thirty seconds than he does in the whole of the 'Fight of the Century'. I do not think Ali fought a worse fight than the first one. He should have been KOed in the 11th and final rounds. His cockyness also lost him the crowd. He deserved to lose. In the second one, he dances and guess what - lo and behold - it works; Frazier cannot deal with it and almost gets knocked out himself in the second round.

Granted, the first one was probably closer than the scores. The ironic thing is, knowing how the scores are judged, round by round, it is almost possible to envision a scenario in which Ali wins the first one. Because really, it is only those two definitive rounds which Frazier won and everything else is, too close to call. Joe had his moments in the second one also. That is what makes these the greatest boxing fights: they were so even.

By the way, the second one is criminally underrated. Post-exile, it is as good a fight as Ali ever fought.

Edited by DieselDaisy

Watched Ali v Frazier I and II, last night. The main difference is, Ali dances in the second one; Ali dances more in the first thirty seconds than he does in the whole of the 'Fight of the Century'. I do not think Ali fought a worse fight than the first one. He should have been KOed in the 11th and final rounds. His cockyness also lost him the crowd. He deserved to lose. In the first one, he dances and guess what - lo and behold - it works; Frazier cannot deal with it and almost gets knocked out himself in the second round.

Granted, the first one was probably closer than the scores. The ironic thing is, knowing how the scores are judged, round by round, it is almost possible to envision a scenario in which Ali wins the first one. Because really, it is only those two definitive rounds which Frazier won and everything else is, too close to call. Joe had his moments in the second one also. That is what makes these the greatest boxing fights: they were so even.

By the way, the second one is criminally underrated. Post-exile, it is as good a fight as Ali ever fought.

I think the issue with the second one is after prescedent set by the first one it was like a let down watching Ali kinda nullify the action in a sense. Frazier nearly got put away in that fight but the ref mistakenly called for the end of the round.

I think if Ali hadn't've gotten dropped in the first one there's a good chance he could've taken it on points.

If you look at the scorecards - 9-6-0, 11-4-0, 8-6-1 - I definitely agree with the closer of the two, the last one; the 11-4-0 is, bollocks. Presumably, if the judges were scoring honestly, the latter score might have been 7-6-2 or even 7-7-1 if Ali had not been hammered in the final round. The first could have been, 8-7-0. You then get a reflection of the fight, in toto.

Frazier had Ali bleeding in the second one. He was not looking so 'pretty' after either fight to be honest. Honestly, Frazier was the fighter who had the goods to beat Ali. I do not think Ali's jab worked as effectively against Frazier as it did against other fighters. Frazier just soldiered on through it.

Volte face. I am sure I remember you trying to convert me to Floyd Mayweather or some other boxer, insisting that the sport is still worth watching, and has produced some excellent fights.

There's still good fights every so often man, i could name you some offhand that were really quite brilliant, Diego Corralles vs Jose Luis Castillio, Manny Pacquiao vs Erik Morales, Arturo Gatti and Mickey Ward had a trilogy of great fights. You don't always need great fighters for great fights either, just people who suit each other. tons and tons of em i could name.

Boxings just my interest, always has been, it's just what i do (be a fan of boxing i mean), whilst other people find value in the Antiques Roadshow or fuckin'...Big Brother or Top Gear or whatever i watch boxing, it's just what entertains me, regardless of whether the games in good shape or not i love it and there still are good fights.

There's a fight this month between Brandon Rios and Mike Alvarado, 3rd time of fighting and their first fight was fuckin' brilliant, proper went for it and that. Lukas Matthyssee vs John Molina recently was good.

And as for Floyd Mayweather well, you simply cannot have a respect for the craft of boxing and then deny that he's a good fighter. There's no use sitting around harking back to the past like an old git forever, i love all the old stuff, i've seen 99% of it, multiple times but this is our today, this is what we've got and if there's something wrong with it well then no ones gonna change it but us, everyone, the fans of it, the fighters, everybody involved, no use sitting around with your finger up your bum whinging, if you like something and you have a passion for it and want it to grow to what it is well the first step to that is actually supporting whats there, everything else builds from that.

But if you just give up cuz you ain't got Chris Eubank and Nigel Benn on ITV for free every Saturday night well then you can't've cared much for it in the first place man.

In the 2000s people in this country were whinging, in the 90s they were whinging...and we've some fantastic fighters come through that era, it's just people seem to want some big world-beating superstar....which i do too but I'm not gonna ignore the quality that exists just cuz there ain't no like, superman Ali type out there. The reality of it is those kindsa characters are few and far between. I mean you can list them upper tier greats with the fingers on both hands...thats out of almost like 130 years of pugilism...fuck all if you think about it.

Nothing gives me that feeling that a fight night does, it's just this unique thing for me, its like a drug, it's intoxicating and in those moments there's nowhere I'd rather be than watching the show :)

Edited by Len B'stard
  • Like 1

All true, I am sure, but you are still never going to get me watching a Klitschko. The last fight I watched was, one of them verses a non-entity in front of some German crowd and the fight was stopped after the other guy had a nose bleed!

Would you consider watching a Deontay Wilder? American heavyweight from Alabama, 32 fights, 32 knockouts, getting his title shot tommorow night?

He is not the most skillfull of fighters, thats for sure. But I hope he does win, I hope he fights Wlad and beats him also. He could be good for the sport of boxing, really. I know I'd love to see an undefeated, young, american Heavyweight champ again. But he's gotta beat Wlad, or it doesn't mean shit...

All true, I am sure, but you are still never going to get me watching a Klitschko. The last fight I watched was, one of them verses a non-entity in front of some German crowd and the fight was stopped after the other guy had a nose bleed!

Would you consider watching a Deontay Wilder? American heavyweight from Alabama, 32 fights, 32 knockouts, getting his title shot tommorow night?

I don't know - he looks a bit fat. If it is on the radio or online (I do not even have a television aerial in my room). That Klitschko fight I watched was on some dodgy illegal stream by the way.

I will tell you a great fighter of the golden age. Jimmy Young. Beat Foreman and lost a controversial decision against Ali.

PS

You were asking where I saw that John and Yoko were at Fight of the Century. I was (re) watching this last night and it must have been this,

Edited by DieselDaisy

Broner is going in against Molina who battered The Machine Matthysse as much as he battered him, I don't think for a minute Molina is as crafty as Maidana but if you take Matthysse's best shots for the majority of the match, Broner ain't going to hold any fear and the blueprint is out there on the guy unless he wakes up, he seems to have become just as deluded as before the Chino fight and that's dangerous against the first puncher he's fought since then.

Guerrero vs Thurman is a potentially class fight, the fight One Time's been asking for, Guerrero, whilst outclassed by Floyd, is a decent welterweight but I don't think he has anything for Thurman, I doubt he'll get one time'd but he'll be rugged as hell and if Thurman does stop him it'll be a very impressive achievement. Guerrero's dad talks some stupid shit considering his son is a solid but not much else fighter.

He is not the most skillfull of fighters, thats for sure. But I hope he does win, I hope he fights Wlad and beats him also. He could be good for the sport of boxing, really. I know I'd love to see an undefeated, young, american Heavyweight champ again. But he's gotta beat Wlad, or it doesn't mean shit...

Hes a bit like big George eh? Concussive punching, wild winging shots, suspect defence.