The Boxing Thread

Len Cnut

Interesting...

As far as Cinco De Mayo goes, no its not really a big deal here in America. I have no idea why they are making such a big deal about fighting on that day to be honest. Shit, the only special thing Americans do for that day is maybe eat tacos and drink a Mexican beer. Not much really....

Is it something to do with blood tests? I am not an expert on the whole thing but I remember reading something two years ago about the Mayweather camp insisting on blood and urine tests for doping?

Not really, thats an old argument where Floyd wanted Olympic style drug testing, Manny agreed.

Why the charade? I do not get it. It did not take this long to arrange bigger fights than this such as RITJ and Lewis-Tyson. Presumably you agree on a price, location then bob's your uncle.

Posing, showing off, wanting to be seen as the dominant party, hatred for Bob Arum and wanting him out of boxing forever so Floyd can be cock of the manor and, i suspect, the real concern of Manny Pacquiao fucking his legacy up my handing his arse to him on a platter.

The people who picked Ali's opponents...did a masterful job. Sometimes they had to bite the bullet and go after a Sonny Liston, Joe Frazier or George Foreman. But apart from that, they generally chose fighters who were too old, or too slow and never at their peak. Occasionally they made a mistake. Doug Jones was a mistake...but the biggest mistake they ever did was putting him in the first time with Ken Norton.

- Eddie Futch

As i say, someone should've asked Eddie to name them. Fraziers best work was with Yank Durham if you ask me. Edited by Len B'stard

The date itself isn't a big deal to Americans. But it is a huge holiday for Mexico an the Mexican~ Americans.

Cotto being from Puerto Rico and Canelo Mexico makes it an Us vs Them, culture vs culture event. Canelo likes to fight in the southwest of the US because of the huge Mexican following he has down there, whereas Cotto likes the NYC area because of the huge Puerto Rican following. It's about heritage with them...that's cool though.

Edit: I forgot to hit the quote button. Len this was in reply to your asking about Cinco de Mayo

Edited by T.wa.T

Futch was the trainer of Frazier though, under Durham. He merely inherited the managerial duties when Durham died. Apparently it was Futch who masterminded the strategies.

I do not agree with Futch either for the following reasons. With the 1960s, Ali went after Liston so early. You could potentially see how Futch's arguments could apply to Patterson (not the same without Cus), Cleveland William (bullet lodged in him) or Folley (definitely aging), but then these fights were derailed because Ali insisted on Liston - and then gave Liston the rematch. There were many in the Ali camp (or Clay as he was then) who wanted to delay the Liston fight; I think the white Kentucky consortium who owned Ali felt it was too early, but, Ali basically made the Liston fight inevitable because of his gob. It would have been more logical to fight Patterson, Williams and Folley sometime around 1964-65ish then go after Liston, 65-66.

And he had already fought Cooper and gave Cooper the rematch when he had the title; Cooper had floored him! And there were discussions to fight Frazier when he was stripped.

And then there is the 1970s. Now he went after Frazier far too early, obviously had not done his homework on Norton and went into the ring with certifiable hard men bangers such as Shavers, Young and Lyle when he was way past his best. Additionally, he gave those two, 'problem fighters', Frazier and Norton, return bouts when he already had the title. He had already avenged those fights. If he ducked fights, he would have regained the title and not fought Frazier III and Norton III. Yes he fought some bums in between the biggies, people like Coopman and Dunn, but he did not duck the big matches either. He deserved easier matches now and then, in between your Fraziers and Nortons.

Could he have fought Foreman again? Now I do not believe there were any serious discussions from Foreman's camp on a rematch. Foreman had about two years off after Zaire; he was reportedly psyched out. I think he returned against Lyle and the aura was gone. He only fought six more fights before becoming a preacher. He looked impressive against Frazier a second time. Ali could have fought him hypothetically, somewhere around '76-77, but as I said, I have never heard of any serious discussions from Foreman's camp.

Ali could, have hypothetically fought Larry Holmes earlier, sometime after Zaire, but then were Holmes' camp angling for that particular fight?

Edited by DieselDaisy
  • Like 1

i never knew that Futch did the strategies under Durham, i thought it was Durham. Could be wrong though. For a bit of trivia for you, Frazier was owned by a white consortium too (not trying to make any bullshit point about race or a riposte to some kind of percieved slight against Ali for having white backers, i think he did better under them than the Herbert Muhammads of this world) called Cloverlay or Cloverleaf, of whom one member was a young Larry Merchant.

Why the charade? I do not get it. It did not take this long to arrange bigger fights than this such as RITJ and Lewis-Tyson. Presumably you agree on a price, location then bob's your uncle.

Posing, showing off, wanting to be seen as the dominant party, hatred for Bob Arum and wanting him out of boxing forever so Floyd can be cock of the manor and, i suspect, the real concern of Manny Pacquiao fucking his legacy up my handing his arse to him on a platter.

It just seems like a load of nonsense. Additionally, they have aged six years since the first negotiations! I mean just to put it in perspective, imagine if this had happened with the Rumble in the Jungle, Ali fighting Foreman sometime around 1979!

This 'fight' actually has a wikipedia page by the way. There is actually a wikipedia page on a fight that has never happened haha

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mayweather_vs._Pacquiao

I wonder if Axl releases a new album before it happens?

It just seems like a load of nonsense. Additionally, they have aged six years since the first negotiations! I mean just to put it in perspective, imagine if this had happened with the Rumble in the Jungle, Ali fighting Foreman sometime around 1979!

This 'fight' actually has a wikipedia page by the way. There is actually a wikipedia page on a fight that has never happened haha

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mayweather_vs._Pacquiao

I wonder if Axl releases a new album before it happens?

I've seen old Ali interviews where he's just got home after a big fight a week in and they're asking him about potential opponents and he's not sure and they start bringing up ducking and whether he's avoiding 'x' fighter, they did it with his Foreman fight...and we're only talking a matter of months, there's an interview with Howard Cossell where Cossell is suggesting that he's ducking Foreman, thats how stringent public opinion was in them days, this is just a pisstake, it's just posturing by a bunch of tarts.

Haymon officially announced his deal with Spike TV--33 Friday night cards over the next three years. The first card on March 13 will feature Andre Berto vs. Josesito Lopez and Shawn Porter vs. Roberto Garcia.

Completely forgot that Alvarado-Rios is tomorrow night. Predictions?

I can't wait for the PBC to air. I hope they bring back some legends each fight night for pre and post fight analysis. Hell, even current fighters...

Yeah, didn't see who the announcers will be for the Spike TV cards, but the Al Michaels/Sugar Ray Leonard sounds really good for NBC.

Nothing new, except Arum reiterating that it's up to Mayweather:

I read an intriguing article that claimed this hooplah over Will He Won't He Sign is all a ruse and Pacman has gone to England to dine with Prince Harry and do the english press cycle because Floyd is absolutely worshiped over here and Mayweather gone to Aussie because Pacquiao is massive there, so they're subtly promoting to the casuals through the media and word of mouth and this is the beginning of the biggest fight of modern times being splashed out with as little spent on hard promotion as possible, all passing it off as a masterclass in promoting without doing much. That's one theory anyhow. I don't believe Floyd's ever been scared of Pac, just reluctant to accept someone who has a none pristine record and bizarre fighting style can be held in the same esteem as himself.

I liked 1, 2, 3 and 4. The last Rocky wasn't so bad, but not as good as the first 4.

I thought the last Rocky had a good idea because you know Rocky couldn't have really beaten that young fighter no matter how good a shape he was in.

It probably would have been more plausible if it was made five or six years earlier. I mean he is about 60 in it haha. Larry Holmes was still beating people like Mike Weaver and James Smith in his early '50s however so it would not be stretching the limits of plausibility I suppose.

By the way, concerning Futch's comments Len, now I know I disagreed with him but I rather see his point when I watch this, hysterically comical mismatch,

Poor ole' Archie.

Yeah but d'ya know how early on in his career that was? Every fighter has one of them, an old great they paste, Rocky Marciano had Joe Louis, Tyson had Larry Holmes, Jess Willard had Jack Johnson. Ali was gonna be trained by Archie Moore earlier on cuz he left cuz Archie had everybody muck in and the gym and he made the mistake of asking him to do the dishes :lol:

But yeah, what do they expect, in his first 10 to 15 fights to get thrown in with like, what, top 5 contenders, thats just not how it works, is it?