The Boxing Thread

Len Cnut

He got linked with some steroid thing but it was never proven. Holyfield's post-match interviews are hilarious and typical of boxers really: ''I would like to thank god and Jesus for guiding me to victory'' ''(interviewer) yes but what about those jabs and uppercuts?'' ''The Good Book guided me, and Jesus was in my heart'' etc etc. It is like Ali's obligatory ''I would like to thank almighty Allah and his prophet, the honourable Elijah Muhammad''. It is hilarious watching these poor interviewers, people like Cosell, trying to steer immensely religious people back to boxing.

He got linked with some steroid thing but it was never proven. Holyfield's post-match interviews are hilarious and typical of boxers really: ''I would like to thank god and Jesus for guiding me to victory'' ''(interviewer) yes but what about those jabs and uppercuts?'' ''The Good Book guided me, and Jesus was in my heart'' etc etc. It is like Ali's obligatory ''I would like to thank almighty Allah and his prophet, the honourable Elijah Muhammad''. It is hilarious watching these poor interviewers, people like Cosell, trying to steer immensely religious people back to boxing.

They're worse now, at least before after the obligatory religious cobblers they'd talk some kinda fuckin' sense, now it's just an advert for...well, a load of shit. Here's a Floyd Mayweather interview, as they happen, each and every time.

'first of all i'd like to thank God...*insert name here* was a tough competitor, i can't take nothing away from him, I'd like to thank my manager Al Haymon, i have a great team behind me, Grant make the best boxing gloves, Money Team baby, Philthy Rich Records is where it's at and uh...he was a tough competitor but i find a way to win, I make adjustments, it's protect yourself at all times...and blah blah blah blah blah, no one gives a shit.

And repeatedly headbutts him. And i do mean repeatedly. He purposely comes in with his head, bringing himself down to Tysons height and limiting his range of vision. Holyfield is a fair bit taller than Tyson, how the fuck is his head even coming in low enough to butt him?

Have you seen the TYSON documentary that made in like 2008? It's really interesting to hear Mike's take on that fight. He basically says "Evander must of fought one hell of a fight, but I have no idea, I blocked out from all the headbutts I got, next thing I know he's landing all these punches."

He also had some interesting thoughts on all 3 of his late career losses, including the one against Lewis. He said he wasn't really into training anymore, and only did those fights because he needed the money. Which you can tell he didn't train right for the Lewis fight, he weighed in at like 236lbs or something like that. Mike was ALWAYS in the 217~222 range. I should have known something was up before that fight even started, I thought Mike just bulked up to fight a bigger guy. Which I guess he did, but it wasn't muscle he added....

I have that documentary. Yes, I think he was just in it for the money after Hollyfield II really. I have the special edition with all his knockdowns on a 2nd disc and Bert Sugar and a few other guys talking in between. Berbick and Spinks look like they are shitting their pants haha. I have played that a lot.

I have that documentary. Yes, I think he was just in it for the money after Hollyfield II really. I have the special edition with all his knockdowns on a 2nd disc and Bert Sugar and a few other guys talking in between. Berbick and Spinks look like they are shitting their pants haha. I have played that a lot.

I agree, Holyfield II was the last fight Mike cared about. I think thats why he went so crazy, because he really wanted to win that fight, and when he started getting headbutted again, he knew Holyfield was being dirty. So after the whole ban from boxing and what not, he was just like "fuck it."

But of those late career fights, the Botha fight is freaking great. The "experts" always say "An aging great fighter always has one last great one" and that one is Mike's. Even though Botha was out fighting Tyson, that punch Tyson landed is one of the hardest punches I've ever seen. He just destroys him with one shot. I almost wish he would have retired after that fight. But back then I still thought Tyson had a chance to be champ again, but he just didn't have the heart for it anymore. But of course I didn't know that then...

Then there's the guys like Bruno and Donovan Ruddick who gave Tyson fits in the ring. Those guys earned their right to talk shit. I think the 2 Razor Ruddick fights are Tysons best, in terms of a good legit fight that tested Mike. Both were hitting hard to and Ruddick might have been jobbed in one of them.

I agree that the Tyson vs Ruddock fights are the best "fights" Tyson ever had, I've said it before and I'll say it again, Mike took something from Ruddock in those fights, and you could argue that Ruddock did the same (but I think 3 years in prison did more). But THAT Ruddock would have beaten MANY fighters, especially at that time. That Ruddock could have beaten Holyfield, old Foreman, Lewis, and Morrison (the last two he lost to of course). But he left it all in the ring against Tyson, who was mad over the Douglas loss. I don't think Ruddock would have won the first fight, yes the ref stopped it a little early, but Tyson was nailing him. Yes Ruddock landed some big shots earlier in the fight, but this wasn't Tokyo, this wasn't Mike taking it easy, this was REAL Mike. Real Mike would have gotten Ruddock out of there later that round or the next one for sure, so I think its a little skeptical to say "Ruddock could have won that fight" when he lost by TKO. Then in the rematch Tyson won most of thr rounds, and both fighters were a little more respectful of each others power. Still Tyson was the clear cut winner. But Ruddock was the last guy to take Tyson 12, and I've always had a ton of respect for Ruddock because of those fights. Like I said, THAT Ruddock knocks out Lennox Lewis IMO, he hit harder and had a better chin. But he never quite recovered from fighting Mike.

But Bruno on the other hand.... First fight fought Mike scared, held him for what 5 maybe 6 rounds, then got KO'ed. 2nd fight, was over before it even began. I "like" Bruno, but I'd hardly use his fights with Mike as a point of refrence...

I agree, Ruddick was taking punches as good as he was giving them during both of those fights, I definatly think he would've given any other to heavyweight a beating to, had they been in there instead of Mike. Great fights though...

Bruno did tie up a good portion, I think the strategy became rough Tyson up with elbows, holding, rabbit punches etc... Frustrate him, than hope to catch him with a money shot. Boxing is a huge mental game, Tysons mentality was his Achilles. If only Cus had more time???

I'm with the lot that say Evander was juicing. Dude was ripped at 185+, put on another 20lbs or so and became like a WWF wrestler. Him an Bonds got the same head shape, that's my proof, lol.

I'd finally given up, me, the eternal optimist regarding such things and whaddya know, it might actually be on.

Man, As long as the fight lives up to the hype, it will be one of the greatest fights of our lifetime. Although its five years to late, I believe Manny will pressure Floyd like he's never been pressured.

This one has classic written all over it. They only come around every decade or so if we're lucky.

I also believe Floyd said lets do it after standing face to face with Pac because he had a chance to size him up. That could be a mistake as we have seen Manny take apart many boxers bigger than himself. I hope Floyd is thinking, this guy is a shrimp, I got this, only to walk into a hornets nest.

I think it's gonna be a dud personally.

How so? Too old? Legs gone?

It's gonna be a slightly scrappy first three rounds while mayweather figures him out and then it's just gonna be a bunch of very clever defensive work with Mayweather then pot shotting for points like he always does. Manny does a lot of superfluous movement which could possibly tell on him compared to Mayweather, who moves juuuuust the right amount he needs to. I hope its more exciting but i cant see it. There are things Manny can do tactically but whether he does or is able remains to be seen.

Just you see if I'm not spot on though man, writings on the wall. Look, Manny ain't gonna outbox Floyd, we all agree on that right? So what, knock him out? Nobody has EVER hit Floyd cleanly with a combination, i don't think I've ever seen that happen. Manny couldn't catch and knockout a running Chris Algieri (yeah, i know, who the fuck is Chris Algieri) and he's gonna catch the most greatest living defensive fighter in the world? I just don't see it.

What I'd like, personally, is a long concerted Duran Leonard I esque brawl. But I won't.

If you are speaking about Duran, Benitez, Sugar Ray, Tommy Hitman Hearns and Hagler, you are speaking my sort of language. This was the greatest period for the welter/middle weights. Any of these guys could whip Floyd Jr and the Chinese fella with their arms tied around their back.

If you are speaking about Duran, Benitez, Sugar Ray, Tommy Hitman Hearns and Hagler, you are speaking my sort of language. This was the greatest period for the welter/middle weights. Any of these guys could whip Floyd Jr and the Chinese fella with their arms tied around their back.

Agreed.

If Floyd thinks he could out box Leonard, HE would be in for a boxing lesson. Floyd may be a great defenisve fighter, but his offensive skills leave something to be desired. It would probably go to decision, just because Floyd would be running all fight, but Leonard would take EVERY round from Floyd's little punk ass. Which don't even get me started on Hitman, can you say KO? Because Tommy was to tall, long reach, and hit to hard. Floyd wouldn't stand a snowball's chance in hell. As far as Hagler goes, it would never happen. He is nervous to fight Pacman, no way in hell he gets in the ring with the bigger, stronger, and meaner Hagler. Ain't happening. Duran would probably beat Floyd as well, but Floyd would just run the whole fight and make it snooze fest. Benitez would be a pretty good fight though, not sure on that one.....

Edited by Iron MikeyJ

Ray Robinson was better than all of em. In fact, Ray Robinson was a better boxer than anybody who ever lived. Ray Robinson is, is every sense of the word concievable, the complete fighter. He is the very reason pound for pound ranking were invented, so that in his day as well as after he could be called by the title he earned, the best fighter that ever lived. I have never ever seen a fighter like Ray Robinson, perfect jab, perfect hook, perfect footwork, perfect movement, perfect awareness and ring generalship, one punch knockout ability, proven time and time again with BOTH hands, he just did not have a weakness. None at all.

The only way he could be beaten was by a freak of nature similar to himself.

My favourite boxing match of all time is Sugar Ray vs Hagler. Hearns I would make my top five also.

You either love or you hate that fight, careful you dont get yourself into an argument with a Hagler fan about that, they're still hurting about it all these years later :lol: