The Boxing Thread

Len Cnut

Potshot and back up, one two combination, duck and move to the side, glove to the mouth during clinch, pull counter vintage mayweather :lol: Well Maidana and Cotto made it interesting lately, he was never in danger in the Cotto fight and he won it 8-4 for me but it was somewhat entertaining. The Maidana fight, I dunno whether he's just so fucking awkward for anyone and improved under Garcia that he had great success or Floyd had an off night. It's hard to tell if he's 'slipped' enough for Pacquiao (who's slipped a little but adjusted his style to compensate) to have a better chance.

He dominated Maidana in the rematch and Pac beat down Bradley who's a solid contender in his prime and wiped out Algieri. I've always had it UD Mayweather and I don't think Maidana represents anything near the Pacquiao mold to make a prudent judgement, they are both pretty unique fighters so it's hard to judge whether each would be the other's kryptonite, obviously Marquez is very different to Floyd and creates openings via lethal assault usually.

Imo, if Floyd tries to walk Manny down, he's waking into a buzzsaw. Although Manny is typically the smaller fighter he usually stands his ground or moves forward. He's got mad crazy stamina too and still has super quick hands, faster then Floyd.

Imo, Floyd is better off being the counter puncher, like Marquez was even though Manny feinted himself into being knocked out. Now, there is a chance that Floyd will pick and choose his spots to be the aggressor, especially to win rounds, kinda like Leonard v Hagler, but that will be determined by how Pac is fighting back defensively by either staying put and brawling or escaping to his right, (to avoid Floyds right).

I really believe this fight is going to be made only because of the chance meeting they had in Miami. Floyd had a chance to size Manny up, face to face and see how much bigger he is. Margarito (and Oscar) thought he could bully Pac around to, both got jacked up. Not saying Floyd is like them, he is 37, just throwing it out there that size doesn't matter with Manny.

All that said, I think Floyd wins on points, as usual. If Manny wins, its by early knock out. 4th or 5th rd.

• Like 1

Apparently it already sold out within 15 minutes of the announcement according to USA Today. Can't imagine what those prices were. Saw the hotel rates were already skyrocketing as the week went on in anticipation of the announcement.

Edited by ronaldo9

I wonder if it'll eclipse De La Hoya - Floyd or Tyson-Lewis in sales and frenzy, it's definitely more intriguing and hyped than those two, Tyson was way past his prime and it was pretty disappointing when I watched that, Oscar was still game but out of his prime and Mayweather was definitely prime but unproven, as such. Most people expect Mayweather UD like me but this guy Pacman is an absolute beast and one of the greatest fighters the sport's ever seen, you absolutely cannot just discount that, he's been beaten by Morales (ATG in a war) and Dinamita twice in my eyes, one by perfect counter KO, the other a razor thin decision, both times he went thru hell to get there. These two are still more or less easily beating the young, prime guys and giving everyone hell and both declined as much as the other. It's compelling stuff, two opposites, one is immaculate but lacking the killer instinct, the other is awkward, hellacious and willing to leave it all out there to win, which one takes it?

Edited by RandallFlagg

I think I'm the only person in the world that wants Martin Murray to win this. Even over here no one does, cuz everyones all into preserving the GGG train all the way to greatness, fuck that, Murrays a fuckin' home town boy (home country anyway!), I mean i know he ain't got a snowballs but still...i like him.

Whilst it's healthy and phenomenal for the sport, it amuses me when something becomes a pop culture event you get people who've never actually watched more than 5 boxing matches before pretending like they're experts on the sport because it's the hip thing, there's no problem with casual fans getting interested in watching the sport more, it's the types who will bang on about the superbowl when it's the only game they intend to watch! It's ridiculous! I wonder how many of them give a shit about the most feared fighter since Iron Mike and some say the greatest MW since Hagler is fighting tonight??? Can you imagine if the May-Pac winner took on GGG?

I like Murray's honesty 'I don't see any weaknesses in him to be honest' and 'I'd prefer if he punched a bit softer' :lol:

They guy can take em as good as he gives em. He threw a knockout punch while taking one on the chin himself.

Is he the best boxer, not even close. He exposes himself like all boxers do. But he is a very good fighter. I won't say he's great yet. Once he gets in with a few big names we'll see. He's a good guy to, something the sport needs. I think he is right were he should be. The next 2 years, hes going to make his run to greatness. And he fights 4 times a year.

Ill add, though that Martin will be a good test. Nice solid fighter himself.

Yeah, Im with you. To a degree, he's got that issue with getting rounds in. So he could get beat on points by a good boxer. Who is it though? Nobody wants to scrap with him either, too much raw power. Maybe he fights Ward in a year or so. That'd be a great test. I think Ward is to big though.

He's is being handled carefully, if he gets through Martin, he will be moving up to the big dogs. He already holds a few belts, now he needs the names.

I wonder what Cotto does now? He fucked himself royally. No Floyd, No Canelo. Where does he go, Khan? It'd be the easier fight for him, imo. He's got some options, just not that big payday he just missed on.

Edited by T.wa.T