The Boxing Thread

Len Cnut

"It was very pleasant and very encouraging, and we give Floyd credit for coming over. That's the first time they ever sat eye to eye. I've met Floyd many times, but he and Manny had never had a chance to meet. They talked at halftime, but this was a longer, more serious meeting. You could tell by their body language that this was very positive. It was for a good hour or more. It was a business meeting, but it wasn't a tense business meeting. I think that's because they both have mutual respect for each other. We'll determine what will happen over the next couple of days."

Pretty cool, Floyd always seems a pretty quiet dude when I've seen 'unofficial' vids of him out and about like when he sits in a car with a reporter after the Canelo fight and just drives to McDonalds, I bet the guy's lonely as hell away from all the Money Mayweather furor. I've always said the guy ain't scared of Pacquiao, he just doesn't want to admit a guy who's got a less than pristine tapestry in the ring could be an equal to him in the eyes of the fans.

He is fuckin horrible. Everyone hated Naz growing up - all my mates. I am not the only one who hated him. Didn't he say some anti-British jihadist crap? Didn't he crash his car?

Never heard no anti-British jihadist crap. He crashed his car a couple of times. My cousin used to train in the gym with him, with Brendan Ingle, he 16 and ready to turn pro but he couldnt get a lisence to fight in England so he had to go to South Africa, fought on a Winky Wright undercard.

Apparently him and Naz hated each other, had to be pulled apart in the gym. Unfortunately my cousin got banged up a couple of times and that was it.

By the way, Americans fuckin hate British fighters, don't they? I remember Bert Sugar being really sniffy about Cooper and Bugner on some Ali espn marathon. We endured the same shit with Bruno and Hatton. Years upon years of yank put downs. Yes fuck it, Lewis is one of us. Some weird Canucky-British hybrid. More British than Magna Carta. We now steal South African cricketers and claim they are Englishmen, so why not Lewis.

By the way, Americans fuckin hate British fighters, don't they? I remember Bert Sugar being really sniffy about Cooper and Bugner on some Ali espn marathon. We endured the same shit with Bruno and Hatton. Years upon years of yank put downs. Yes fuck it, Lewis is one of us. Some weird Canucky-British hybrid. More British than Magna Carta. We now steal South African cricketers and claim they are Englishmen, so why not Lewis.

With all due respect to my country they're not far wrong are they? I mean none of the above mentioned could hack it with the elite, Hatton made his name beating a knackered Costa Tzu (cant spell his name) then got badly exposed by Floyd and Manny, Bruno took 5 goes to actually get a title and Cooper, as much as we had a great national affection for him, weren't exactly about to do the Ali's and Fraziers of this world. And Lewis well you said it all.

I dont think Americans hate em, i dont think they think they're worth hating, i dont think they expend that much energy on em.

Actually Americans are really respectful and tend to give our fighters their day in court without exactly falling in love with em. Us on the other hand are quite disrespectful. Remember when Hatton vs Mayweather happened and our lot were booing and jeering the American national anthem in Vegas? I dont think Americans have an equivalent to the football hooligan crowd.

The people whoose respect is valuable in boxing is Mexicans, you get a Mexican fanbase and you got fans for life.

Naz is at the top of the list of alltime jackoffs in boxing. Him and Broner. There's a difference in being brash and confident like an Ali. Than there's being douchy, like Naz n Broner.

Naz had the goods to prove it though. That kind of brash Northern arrogance dont translate well in America i think, its why yanks could never get along with Noel and Liam Gallagher, its a similar sort of attitude. But Naz was actually quite soft voiced and unassuming in person, if you listen to any of his interviews outside of talking up a fight he's actually quite quiet.

I wouldnt put Naz on a B Hop or Mayorga level. Or Vargas.

Edited by Len B'stard

They cheated like fuck there, smelling salts they used, which is illegal, and the whole glove tear exacerbation although concievably, instead of pointing at Dundee you could also point out that British Boxing Commision or whatever, where the fuck were they there weren't spare gloves etc laid on to get the process going quickly. It was just a clusterfuck, gloves tears, we need glove, they go back to the dressing rooms etc to get one, sorry, there ain't none, oh nevermind, we'll just crack on with these :lol: Really it's obvious they were cheating but i think everyone was so G'ed up off the knock out they just fuckin' didn't even notice properly, it's an old recording but even on whats there you can see Wembley fucking ERUPT! I always remember the big fat fucker with the ref arms in the crowd going up and down like 'count, count you bastard!' :lol: 'And Cleopatra was at ringside!' :lol:

We're actually notorious for that, every single time something untoward happens in boxing or there is a tragedy we always come off short in the enquiry, British boxing and our standards and ringside safety measures etc. Whether it was the Michael Watson case or Gerald Mcllelan etc. Still, cheating is fucking cheating but quite honestly we kid ourselves if we think that anything but Ali mullering Cooper was the due result of that fight, just look how he switched it on in the 5th, hitting him at will, prior to the 5th that bastard was yawning in there :lol:

Edited by Len B'stard

Apparently when Ali was walking down the the crown on and Cassius the Greatest on his robe all the lads were like, lobbing shit at him, tryna knock the crown off his head :lol: Makes you proud dunnit? :lol: Should see what they done to Marvin Hagler after the Minter fight, they were bottling him, they had to get coppers to get him out the ring. Minter: 'I'll never lose my title to a black man' uhhhh, i think you'll find Marvin Hagler is black Alan :lol:

Edited by Len B'stard

Ali was always quite respectful of these opponents. On one of the Parky interviews he rates Bugner more than Foreman, saying he had gone 15 rounds with Bugner. Reading and listening to a lot of interviews, I do not think Ali rated Foreman very much. He had to rate Frazier highly - certainly after the first fight - but he seems curiously dismissive of Foreman's abilities.

I read a Floyd ~Pac announcement should be made in a few days.

I like alot of fighters from Europe. Calzaghe is probably my favorite, go ahead laugh. But I like guys like Benn,GGG, Hatton, Froch, Abraham, Sturm, Costa Tszu, can't spell it either etc... Them guys gotta alot of pride, I don't think it goes unnoticed, at least for me. Lewis can be a twat but what the fuck, if I was HW Champion, I might be to once in a while, lol.

Then there's the guys like Bruno and Donovan Ruddick who gave Tyson fits in the ring. Those guys earned their right to talk shit. I think the 2 Razor Ruddick fights are Tysons best, in terms of a good legit fight that tested Mike. Both were hitting hard to and Ruddick might have been jobbed in one of them.

On Naz. Oh he's definatly an excellent fighter, he actually was one of the few fighters that made me look at fighting a different way, because of the angles he used. The guy was very unassuming and unpredictable. And extremely hard to hit flush. I recall hoping he would lose because he was very good.

I just didn't care for the ten minute ring walks and in those days it was one guy tryin to out do the other so it was fuckin annoying. He wasn't the only one though...

I do recall him being humble in pre fight interviews. So I guess it was mainly the ring walk.

Then there's the guys like Bruno and Donovan Ruddick who gave Tyson fits in the ring. Those guys earned their right to talk shit. I think the 2 Razor Ruddick fights are Tysons best, in terms of a good legit fight that tested Mike. Both were hitting hard to and Ruddick might have been jobbed in one of them.

I agree that the Tyson vs Ruddock fights are the best "fights" Tyson ever had, I've said it before and I'll say it again, Mike took something from Ruddock in those fights, and you could argue that Ruddock did the same (but I think 3 years in prison did more). But THAT Ruddock would have beaten MANY fighters, especially at that time. That Ruddock could have beaten Holyfield, old Foreman, Lewis, and Morrison (the last two he lost to of course). But he left it all in the ring against Tyson, who was mad over the Douglas loss. I don't think Ruddock would have won the first fight, yes the ref stopped it a little early, but Tyson was nailing him. Yes Ruddock landed some big shots earlier in the fight, but this wasn't Tokyo, this wasn't Mike taking it easy, this was REAL Mike. Real Mike would have gotten Ruddock out of there later that round or the next one for sure, so I think its a little skeptical to say "Ruddock could have won that fight" when he lost by TKO. Then in the rematch Tyson won most of thr rounds, and both fighters were a little more respectful of each others power. Still Tyson was the clear cut winner. But Ruddock was the last guy to take Tyson 12, and I've always had a ton of respect for Ruddock because of those fights. Like I said, THAT Ruddock knocks out Lennox Lewis IMO, he hit harder and had a better chin. But he never quite recovered from fighting Mike.

But Bruno on the other hand.... First fight fought Mike scared, held him for what 5 maybe 6 rounds, then got KO'ed. 2nd fight, was over before it even began. I "like" Bruno, but I'd hardly use his fights with Mike as a point of refrence...

And repeatedly headbutts him. And i do mean repeatedly. He purposely comes in with his head, bringing himself down to Tysons height and limiting his range of vision. Holyfield is a fair bit taller than Tyson, how the fuck is his head even coming in low enough to butt him?