The Boxing Thread

Len Cnut

Yeah but thats granted isn't it, that the sport ain't as big as it once was. You should've watched Adrien Broner vs Marcos Maidana last year, you would've loved that. For a bit of background Broner is a rude, arrogant, coarse, flamboyant, mouthy 'star' thats being groomed or was being groomed for greatness as some kind of next Mayweather, his antics includes flushing 20 dollars notes down the shitter cuz he's too rich to need em apparently, racially abusing opponents left right and centre, making sex tapes of himself and stickin' em on the internet. So anyway, he comes up against an unassuming, hard hitting but not exactly a world beater in the shape of Argentianian slugger Marcos Maidana and he got bashed to fuck over 12 rounds, getting dropped twice i think it was and generally looking like a cunt for the world to see.

As for your point of champion of the world and what that means and the recognition that should result, i agree with you. Many have inferred that it's to do with some sort of prejudice against fighters that aren't from the traditional places like America or Mexico or England (not that we churn out greats or anything).

And i think you underestimate Mayweathers recognisability if you think he wouldn't be as well recognised as Federer or Ronnie O Sullivan or Tiger Woods. Messi(ah) is a different story however.

Also, if Germany and Ukraine etc don't matter then what the fuck makes England matter? :lol: it'd be interesting to get a yank take on this, come on yanks, Wlad Klitschko, how recognisable do you reckon he is round your ways? You might have a point though Dies' cuz he came to England a little whiles back (Mayweather) and he was in this barbershop in Brixton and he was giving it the big I am and this black lady was like who are you, i never heard of you, i heard of Mike Tyson and this went on for a while, at first he took it in good spirits and was like yeah, you need to google me but they started caning him (as people tend to in Brixton barbershops :lol:) and he was like 'y'know what, i need to google YOU cuz i dunno why you are!' :lol: Wally.

Edited by Len B'stard

Also, if Germany and Ukraine etc don't matter then what the fuck makes England matter? :lol: it'd be interesting to get a yank take on this, come on yanks, Wlad Klitschko, how recognisable do you reckon he is round your ways?

Certainly not as recognizable as Mayweather or Pacquiao. Though, of course, those two have fought nearly all of their fights in the U.S. for the last 15 years, and Pacquiao has the bonus of more endorsement deals and TV talk show appearances here. Klitschko doesn't have either of those things in the U.S., so I'd doubt he'd get recognized much, if at all, outside of say New York or Las Vegas (and, even in those two places, probably not that much by non-boxing fans). I would think most people would know who Mayweather or Pacquiao were though--Mayweather more than Pacquiao. He's not at the LeBron, Kobe, Tiger Woods, Derek Jeter, Jordan (even retired, he's still probably the most recognizable athlete here) level, but I would venture to say he's still, at the very least, top 15-20 as a conservative guess. I mean, you don't become the highest paid athlete in the world without people knowing who you are.

Side note: I'll admit I had to google Ronnie O'Sullivan...snooker isn't exactly a mainstream sport over here.

Edited by ronaldo9

As an American, I'd say most American's wouldn't know who either Klitchko is by name, unless they are boxing fans. But I do think most would think they are "somebody." I doubt they could walk around a major city without drawing "some" attention, not Jordan or Lebron attention, but attention none the less. But the reasons why they are not on first name and recognition levels are as followed; they fight mostly in Germany, their are two of them, and the stated decline of the sport. Which the last one is the smallest of the reasons IMO. Where they fight is the 2nd biggest knock against them, but the biggest is that their are two of them. Would Tyson had been as popular if he had a brother Mark Tyson that was also a good fighter, or if Cassius had a brother Craig Clay who was also great? Being that their were two of them was such a negative thing, I can't stress that enough. If their had only been one, he would literally been the real life Ivan Drago, and would of been respected as such. That is one of the reasons why I feel VERY strongly the brothers should have been forced to fight, to really help destingish one from the other. Not to mention its the only time where the two best fighters have never fought each other. It is a sport where only ONE can be king, yet they tried to make 2 be king. That is why the division is in the state that it is.

I know some Klitchko fan is going to jump in and say "you can't make brothers fight, blah blah blah." To that I say horseshit for one, and for two its just my opinion, so WTF ever....

As an American, I'd say most American's wouldn't know who either Klitchko is by name, unless they are boxing fans. But I do think most would think they are "somebody." I doubt they could walk around a major city without drawing "some" attention, not Jordan or Lebron attention, but attention none the less. But the reasons why they are not on first name and recognition levels are as followed; they fight mostly in Germany, their are two of them, and the stated decline of the sport. Which the last one is the smallest of the reasons IMO. Where they fight is the 2nd biggest knock against them, but the biggest is that their are two of them. Would Tyson had been as popular if he had a brother Mark Tyson that was also a good fighter, or if Cassius had a brother Craig Clay who was also great? Being that their were two of them was such a negative thing, I can't stress that enough. If their had only been one, he would literally been the real life Ivan Drago, and would of been respected as such. That is one of the reasons why I feel VERY strongly the brothers should have been forced to fight, to really help destingish one from the other. Not to mention its the only time where the two best fighters have never fought each other. It is a sport where only ONE can be king, yet they tried to make 2 be king. That is why the division is in the state that it is.

I know some Klitchko fan is going to jump in and say "you can't make brothers fight, blah blah blah." To that I say horseshit for one, and for two its just my opinion, so WTF ever....

In their defence i wouldnt fight my brother for all the money in the world.

The average Joe Blow in the US wouldn't know who Wlad is. Americans, tend to, at least the media does look for that wholesome Good ol' Boy from middle America, who comes outta know where to achieve greatness. Look at some of these names:

Babe Ruth, Micky Mantle, Joe Dimaggio, Ted Williams, Willie Mays

Johnny Unitas (unite us) Joe Montana, Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Reggie White, Lawrence Taylor, Bart Starr

Jack Dempsey, Joe Louis, Cassius Clay (Ali), Ray Robinson/Leonard, George Foreman, Joe Frasier

Bill Russell, Shaqille Oneil, Larry Bird, Michael Jordan, Lebron James

Tiger Woods, Jack Nicholas, Arnold Palmer,

John Macknroe (sp?), Jimmy Connors

Some coaches:

Phil Jackson, Red Aurbach, Dean Smith, Bobby Knight, Bill Parcells, Paul "Bear" Bryant, Jimmy Johnson that guy from UCLA who I can't believe I can't remember his name!!! John Wooden??

Fuck hockey, nobody cares about hockey, lol. Just a few names there , but the common theme is they are "wholesome", "household" names in America.

I think you guys over there have a more international feeling because of the relative proximity of each country.

We love names in America. I mean how much more American can you get then Joe Montana!?!? Lol....

Only cuz you'd get your head kicked in. :lol:

Only cuz you'd get your head kicked in. :lol:

Why do you always have to ruin it when im being profound and touching? :lol:

Funny you mention that as he sort of, almost, did. 14-3-1 is not too bad and that is Rahman's record. He mostly fought tomato cans though. He did fight Jack O Halloran from Superman II. Rahman is the serious one who is always behind Ali in interviews. Good looking guy - like Ali except with a mustache. He adopted the Muslim stuff before Ali and was even more extreme with it.

The average Joe Blow in the US wouldn't know who Wlad is. Americans, tend to, at least the media does look for that wholesome Good ol' Boy from middle America, who comes outta know where to achieve greatness. Look at some of these names:

Johnny Unitas (unite us) Joe Montana, Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Reggie White, Lawrence Taylor, Bart Starr

Jack Dempsey, Joe Louis, Cassius Clay (Ali), Ray Robinson/Leonard, George Foreman, Joe Frasier

Some coaches:

Phil Jackson, Red Aurbach, Dean Smith, Bobby Knight, Bill Parcells, Paul "Bear" Bryant, Jimmy Johnson that guy from UCLA who I can't believe I can't remember his name!!! John Wooden??

Fuck hockey, nobody cares about hockey, lol. Just a few names there , but the common theme is they are "wholesome", "household" names in America.

I think you guys over there have a more international feeling because of the relative proximity of each country.

We love names in America. I mean how much more American can you get then Joe Montana!?!? Lol....

Phelps deserves to be on that list. I would also include Sampras. Pete, ehh, cleaned out the division. The Williams sisters also.

Canelo will get him out of there, he got Angulo out of there and he's a hell of a lot more durable. This guy don't move like Lara or Mayweather who he's struggled with, though Floyd walked this fucker down and he outweighed him by 20 pounds.

Len mentioned the Broner-Maidana fight up there, one of the greatest 'humblings' of all time alongside Barrera-Hamed though Naz actually put up a respectable performance, Broner got balls for coming back in the final third I'll give him that but he bit off more than he could chew thinking he could fucking skip a division against a rugged veteran who had paid his dues for a long time.

Naseem Hamed. Words cannot describe the amount of hate I have for that man. He is a pox on the earth.

Best featherweight this country, certainly the hardest punching of any I've ever seen, this country or otherwise.
These days you only need to worry about him if you're a kebab.
  • Like 1

The fact is he's the first boxer we had in many many many years that got international respect. I mean in terms of being a top drawer elite level fighter, a lineal world champion and a true defending world champion in that he took people on. OK, so he just basically retired after his first stumble but that guy was fuckin' rated, even over in America it was difficult to deny him as a fighter. I mean the 'is he among the best of the best' debate is one that rages on for any fighter often even after they proved themselves but Naz was the fuckin' business, really and truly. Lewis was never quite rated internationally, I mean he had the accolades but everyone weren't convinced with him, Bruno was Bruno, Eubank didn't even have the desire to take on the best of the best, he was asked in an interview why he didn't go for Roy Jones Jnr (in my opinion the best fighter of my generation) to which he replied 'it would've been suicide' and went on to say that basically he was happy being the big fish in a small pond. Nigel Benn was up for it, God love him, he was like 'I'm happy being No. 2 to Roy Jones. But y'know what, I'd love to fight him. I'd love to fight him cuz he scares me, I mean he really scares me...and i need that'. See Gerald Mcllelan fight to see how a scared Benn reacts. Other than that, who have we had?

Naz fuckin' basically went to America, first big fight against Kevin Kelley and turned it into a brawl :lol: Larry Merchant said after the fight that 'that was the Hagler Hearns of our generation', Naz was a fuckin' lad and if he hadn't've been a cunt that couldn't be fucked training then we might've had a different story. Apparently the story goes he quit cuz he fucked his hands up from those big way out from the rafters punches he threw. I mean people need to recognise this, he REGULARLY sent people out of the ring on stretchers. He had so much fuckin' bottle too, it was unbelievable.

All this bullshit about Barrera exposed him, Barrera exposed him...what, with a split desicion?

Edited by Len B'stard

Jermain Taylor ordered to undergo a mental evaluation: http://deadspin.com/boxer-jermain-taylor-ordered-to-undergo-mental-evaluati-1682067117?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

He's had a strange/rough five months or so. Shooting his cousin, then recently, apparently pulling a out a gun and threatening to shoot a family at a parade. Don't know how much the brain injury could be involved, since it's been four or five years and all of this has only happened recently. Either way, it sounds like he needs some help.

Funny you mention that as he sort of, almost, did. 14-3-1 is not too bad and that is Rahman's record. He mostly fought tomato cans though. He did fight Jack O Halloran from Superman II. Rahman is the serious one who is always behind Ali in interviews. Good looking guy - like Ali except with a mustache. He adopted the Muslim stuff before Ali and was even more extreme with it.

Some coaches:

Phelps deserves to be on that list. I would also include Sampras. Pete, ehh, cleaned out the division. The Williams sisters also.

Definatly...there's a few dozen more we could throw up there.

I was about 10 feet away from Floyd at a Lakers game a couple days ago. I tried to come up with a Manny-P remark to throw out.........but quickly changed my mind as Floyd was with about 10 large black dudes - one of them had to be 6-foot-4 and 300 pounds of solid rock.

dm_150127_NBA_One-Play_Mayweather_Manny_

This pic is fucking historical lol, face to face! Only time they've been anywhere near eachother since Mayweather was cheering Pacman on against Morales around 10 years back!

I agree with Len, Barrera was no slouch himself, Naz didn't do a Broner or anything, he just met a formidable foe that night and it was a good close fight. I watched that Kelley fight last year and it was a barnstormer. It's a damn shame he retired after as you said his first stumble, every great loses if they fight everyone they're supposed to and the guy could've gone on, he was criminally young even for a fighter and I read about his hands being brittle and him being undisciplined and having too much dough.

Edited by RandallFlagg

I liked Naz as a fighter but I just can't stand all the arrogance. I definatly dislike his attitude more then Floyds, but not Broner. Broner hasn't done a lick an talks like he's a legend, sad.

The fight with Naz n Barerra was definatly closer then alot of people talk. Some make it seem like Barrera wiped him out. I think AB won, but not in over whelming fashion.

Jermain Taylor, man I can't believe what happened to his life. He was one of my favorites even after his losses to Pavlik. Dude could of been legit for a decade. Just goes to show how corrupt boxing is for letting him fight after his brain bleed. Never should of been allowed back in the ring. I'm glad he's getting the mental help he is gonna need. I don't think he's a bad guy, just a victim of repeated blows to the head and a corrupt system.

I'm lovin the Floyd/Manny pic. I hope they cut the middle men out and make it happen. That would leave Cotto with what Amir Khan?? That isn't so bad.

Cotto v Khan

Canelo v Kirkland

Pac v Mayweather

Not a bad year, plus all the goods coming up on PBC, Klitchko chasing history. Could be an epic year.

Edited by T.wa.T

Kahn is a dickhead. He is from Bolton. He is a Bolton fan.

Naseem Hamed. Words cannot describe the amount of hate I have for that man. He is a pox on the earth.

Best featherweight this country, certainly the hardest punching of any I've ever seen, this country or otherwise.

Most annoying twat. That stupid leap he used to do. I used to watch him, dreaming of somebody beating him up.

Kahn is a dickhead. He is from Bolton. He is a Bolton fan.

Most annoying twat. That stupid leap he used to do. I used to watch him, dreaming of somebody beating him up.

There's just no pleasing you is there :lol:

Naz fuckin' basically went to America, first big fight against Kevin Kelley and turned it into a brawl :lol: Larry Merchant said after the fight that 'that was the Hagler Hearns of our generation', Naz was a fuckin' lad and if he hadn't've been a cunt that couldn't be fucked training then we might've had a different story. Apparently the story goes he quit cuz he fucked his hands up from those big way out from the rafters punches he threw. I mean people need to recognise this, he REGULARLY sent people out of the ring on stretchers. He had so much fuckin' bottle too, it was unbelievable.

That's a fun one to watch. Greatest entrance, too. Dancing behind a screen for five minutes, then taking another five to get to the ring, all while Kelley's yelling at him from the ring. Disrespectful, but just really funny that someone could be so full of themselves to just dance for so long, then stand on the walkway for another minute, before finally dancing down to the ring, all while keeping their opponent and everyone there waiting. :lol:

Edited by ronaldo9