The Boxing Thread

Len Cnut

The thing that GGG has that puts him juuuuuust above a Mathyyssee or even a Danny Garcia is that he does show signs of being a very very technically sound boxer, its just he leaves himself open a fair bit.

But look, arseholes like me are never happy, if they're too tight and technically sound i call em boring, when they appear to have the technical nouse but forgo it at times to make a fight exciting i start calling em 'open'. Perhaps im a little too unforgiving. But thats boxing, its a pragmatists game and it demands looking at with those kinds of eyes.

I would've thought Khan would be a fair scalp for Cotto, i think he'd taken him too, I'm not sure Khan'd risk it but then what will he risk? Garcia again, Thurman, Kell Brook, Mathyssee even? My moneys on Kell Brook, massive domestic money spinner with none of the risk of the aforementioned.

He does get caught, no denying that. I'm honestly struggling to compare him to anybody. Not because hes great, but because he kinda just, all the sudden became a name. I'd heard of him for a bit but never would have guessed he would become the next thing in the sport. I got it , Rocky Balboa, lol....serious.

I looked at some options for Cotto. There ain't to many because alot of dudes are fighting in the spring for the PBC etc.. I always thought he'd fight an up an comer to cash in a bit on being the lineal champ at middle weight. So maybe a lesser name then wait for a fall fight with a big name. I think he was talking retirement to so, this could be his last year. Good blood and guts fighter, HoF'er?? Close for me. Depends on how he finishes, right now I think he has one foot in.

Murray valiant but doomed, triple G is something else alright. Murray is a high class middleweight.

It's the kinda guy Golovkin needs to shine against, I can;t think of anyone except Ward or Froch or Hopkins who'd stand a chance and they are higher up in weight. True he ain't exactly in a 'strong' era atm but he is doing what needs to be done. Murray still in this, tough as nails getting up from the lethal body shot.

At the second round when Murray kept tying him up a voice in my head just went 'maybe this guy can't box', fuck me he proved me wrong there eh? :lol: Oh well, nevermind, alls well that ends in an abject kicking as Lord Byron once put it :D

Ward would do him.

Edited by Len B'stard

He does get caught, no denying that. I'm honestly struggling to compare him to anybody. Not because hes great, but because he kinda just, all the sudden became a name. I'd heard of him for a bit but never would have guessed he would become the next thing in the sport. I got it , Rocky Balboa, lol....serious.

I looked at some options for Cotto. There ain't to many because alot of dudes are fighting in the spring for the PBC etc.. I always thought he'd fight an up an comer to cash in a bit on being the lineal champ at middle weight. So maybe a lesser name then wait for a fall fight with a big name. I think he was talking retirement to so, this could be his last year. Good blood and guts fighter, HoF'er?? Close for me. Depends on how he finishes, right now I think he has one foot in.

He's called Cotto out a few times now and no response, obviously, who's got a deathwish like that? But Cotto holds the belt off Maravilla who GGG had been after for a while, Martinez was basically shot but still somewhat game so it's not without merit, Murray also beat a less shot Martinez. Now, Cotto is blocking the path to unification and he has what, 2 fights at MW (can't remember if Trout was at 154 but he lost that too) whereas Golovkin has countless... it don't seem right that he's keeping running, he ought to either vacate or take the fight.

I think GGG knocks him out in 5 rounds but I like Miguel, he's just not an elite middleweight but who knows he could surprise us, he's definitely a great fighter regardless but c'mon middleweight champ. Alvarez is a money spinner and solid fight and he just beat Lara and Angulo so that's valid but the guy even diva'd out of an Alvarez fight for no good reason.

I expected better from the likes of Cotto and Canelo, they didn't strike me as bottlers. Still don't really, it's good to let a man unfold a little too as a fighter, sooner or later they're gonna have to line up.

He had some success in the middle I thought. Going to the ropes and counter punching didn't seem the best tactic.

I think he fought him all wrong, you're taller than him, use that, poke him, move him back, tie him up in close, don't stand on the fuckin' ropes with your arms up cuz you're gonna get uppercutted to fuck.

He was too clinical a puncher to rope a dope him. Golovkin was getting through with uppercuts and body shots. But when Murray did go to the centre, there was success there. Murray might have took one, middleish, round doing this (somewhere around the 8th?). I am not sure what Murray's corner were doing because they seemed to be endorsing the tactic.

Brave performance though.

Murray would beat Cotto I know that much, he should have a solid career arc from here. I suppose once you've been in three quarters with GGG, potentially beat Sturm in his own backyard and definitely beat Martinez infront of 50,000 in argentina there's not much else to faze you if you can get the motivation for 1 or 2 bounceback fights then take on another name.

He's called Cotto out a few times now and no response, obviously, who's got a deathwish like that? But Cotto holds the belt off Maravilla who GGG had been after for a while, Martinez was basically shot but still somewhat game so it's not without merit, Murray also beat a less shot Martinez. Now, Cotto is blocking the path to unification and he has what, 2 fights at MW (can't remember if Trout was at 154 but he lost that too) whereas Golovkin has countless... it don't seem right that he's keeping running, he ought to either vacate or take the fight.

I think GGG knocks him out in 5 rounds but I like Miguel, he's just not an elite middleweight but who knows he could surprise us, he's definitely a great fighter regardless but c'mon middleweight champ. Alvarez is a money spinner and solid fight and he just beat Lara and Angulo so that's valid but the guy even diva'd out of an Alvarez fight for no good reason.

I'm a long time Cotto fan to, but hes on the downside for sure. I always had this thing where if a guy had won a belt his next fight could be against a B type fighter. I've no issue with these guys trying to make some cash while they hold the title. Unfortunatly not all of them are Floyd.

That's why I mentioned Kahn. He's the lesser of the bunch out of the bigger names but still is enough of a draw for Cotto to make some cash then go for a big money fight. He's about out of time.

Nice win for GGG, it sucks that he is 32. I really hope we see him in a big fight next time out. Would like to see him against Chavez Jr then clean out Hopkins, Froch, and then fight Ward. Ward is a bit aways and needs 2~3 fights to get back into it, imo..

Khan vs anyone is a good scrap but he needs to defend the belt he won or it's just a novelty he went for cause Roach knew Martinez was shot and Cotto had ran out of options at welterweight to remain 'relevant'.

Thinking on Golovkin, this guy could have done what most fighters do and start their pro career at a lower weight when they're clearly bigger than the opposition but also have above average fundamentals, blitz a ton of guys, move up, move up again whilst amassing a favourable and sometimes lethal record, then meet their match when they reach the comparative sized opponents, GGG has campaigned around that weight since his amateur days I believe, quite admirable that.

I'm curious why Miguel didn't sign to fight Canelo. I'm guessing he thought he'd get Floyd again. Being that he missed both he's gonna take a pay cut against a presumably tough opponent. For someone at his stage of their career. I think that's a potential disaster. Being with Roach, is smart though, I think he can help preserve Miguels career and hopefully get him two more wins against top quality fighters.

I'm with you, why not stay where he's most successful. I only hope the top flight fighters around his weight don't start avoiding him. I could maybe see him and Canelo fighting. Alvarez seems to want to fight the best.

Gonna be an exciting year for boxing, alot of good potential matchups out there in the middle, welter and in between weight classes, even the heavy weight division might see some good action. Boxing has actually been producing some to flight action the past few years, I think its gonna be even better with the creation of the PBC, even though I had it out for Al, lol.

For those who are interested in Jack Johnson and Arthur Cravan (limited edition of 500) : http://www.orbispictusclub.fr/very_boxe.html

couverture_very_boxe.jpg

very_boxe9.jpg

15 previously unseen pictures discovered in 2013 depicting the legendary fight between Cravan ("the poet with the shortest hair in the world") and heavyweight champion Johnson in 1916.

Edited by axlfan88

'm curious why Miguel didn't sign to fight Canelo. I'm guessing he thought he'd get Floyd again. Being that he missed both he's gonna take a pay cut against a presumably tough opponent. For someone at his stage of their career. I think that's a potential disaster. Being with Roach, is smart though, I think he can help preserve Miguels career and hopefully get him two more wins against top quality fighters.

If he did win two more fights against top quality opponents that would make him about the most underrated fighter going. If you think about it he's only lost of Floyd and Pacman, unless you include bludgeoning a man to shit with a glove-ful of plaster a loss :lol: And he was kinda weight-fucked for Pacman. And yeah, he didn't sign for Canelo because he was hanging on for Floyd it seems, as his name was being bandied around. Should've hung on really, i would've liked to've seen that.

I wanna see Thurman Guerrero, does anybody else want to see Thurman beat Guerrero like as if he was a bird talking out of turn in the 1950s? :lol:

For those who are interested in Jack Johnson and Arthur Cravan (limited edition of 500) : http://www.orbispictusclub.fr/very_boxe.html

couverture_very_boxe.jpg

very_boxe9.jpg

15 previously unseen pictures discovered in 2013 depicting the legendary fight between Cravan and Johnson in 1916.

Christ Almighty, there's a fighter *bows* i am seriously not worthy.

Murray's trainer; 'If he's there, just whack im in the 'ed!' :lol:

Nothing will ever beat Algieri's one.

'I'm gonna let him out his cage, he's gonna go to sleep in the next r... *Algieri gets sparked"'

OUR SURVEY SAYS....

• Like 1

'm curious why Miguel didn't sign to fight Canelo. I'm guessing he thought he'd get Floyd again. Being that he missed both he's gonna take a pay cut against a presumably tough opponent. For someone at his stage of their career. I think that's a potential disaster. Being with Roach, is smart though, I think he can help preserve Miguels career and hopefully get him two more wins against top quality fighters.

If he did win two more fights against top quality opponents that would make him about the most underrated fighter going. If you think about it he's only lost of Floyd and Pacman, unless you include bludgeoning a man to shit with a glove-ful of plaster a loss :lol: And he was kinda weight-fucked for Pacman. And yeah, he didn't sign for Canelo because he was hanging on for Floyd it seems, as his name was being bandied around. Should've hung on really, i would've liked to've seen that.

I wanna see Thurman Guerrero, does anybody else want to see Thurman beat Guerrero like as if he was a bird talking out of turn in the 1950s? :lol:

For those who are interested in Jack Johnson and Arthur Cravan (limited edition of 500) : http://www.orbispictusclub.fr/very_boxe.htmlcouverture_very_boxe.jpgvery_boxe9.jpg

15 previously unseen pictures discovered in 2013 depicting the legendary fight between Cravan and Johnson in 1916.

Christ Almighty, there's a fighter *bows* i am seriously not worthy.

Murray's trainer; 'If he's there, just whack im in the 'ed!' :lol:

Nothing will ever beat Algieri's one.

'I'm gonna let him out his cage, he's gonna go to sleep in the next r... *Algieri gets sparked"'

OUR SURVEY SAYS....

I agree Len. Miguel doesn't seem to get the attention he should and he's the lineal middle weight champion, crazy. I think he's had a tremendous career and two more wins against high quality opponents would solidify him as one of this generations best. He'd certainly get more attention if it weren't for Floyd and Pac, lol... Two losses though, or even one could have a bad effect to.

I'm definatly interested in the Thurman fight. He's gaining alot of popularity over here. Should be a high energy fight against Martinez. Thurman v GGG? Some big hitters there.....

Nice find on the Jack Johnson Box. There's a dude who had some big balls, doin what he was, at that time.

I like Thurman a lot, can't believe he got booed cause he didn't stop a guy who's never been stopped, not everyone's GGG. He even knocked him on his ass and won 10-2 at a minimum. Guerrero is a decent opponent, nothing more or less, the guy acts as if he's some top guy though, he beat Burto and Aydin, not exactly a great run, Khan has a significantly better CV and gets tons more shit, true Khan has a dodgy chin and talks shit but he's got a good resume. Thurman vs Khan ought to be next if both win their next fights and I want Khan vs Bradley since Garcia isn't interested and Maidana says he's going fishing and hunting for ages now..

Edited by RandallFlagg

Thurman getting booed was definatly ridiculous. Like you said the guy is legit and he can't knock everybody out, lol. I can't wait to see him against Martinez. I think he's more of a gate keeper know and that his best days are well behind him. I think he still has enough to make Keith work. Id be stunned if Thurman didn't win. Good solid career for him though, (Martinez). Kahn would be a exciting fight for One Time, good idea.

So....this week we have Chris Eubank Jnr back in the saddle and my mate Ty' Fury going up against Christian Hammer. Should have at least one entertaining press conference then at least, something along the lines of:

'See the thing is right, is that Christian Hammer is a pussy and I'm gonna knock him spark out, he might be a hammer now but he's gonna be a spanner after I'm done with him and after that i want that big poof Deontay Wilder and old man Klitschko before he gets his pipe and slippers and gives up boxing to go poke a fire in the Ukraine somewhere, I'm Tyson Fury, I'm a gypsy travellin' man and I'm the best heavyweight on the planet today'

Something like that? :lol: