The Boxing Thread

Len Cnut

It's like they expect rock em sock em robots every second of every round regardless of what style the fighters usually operate in.

I was watching the Ortiz post fight interview of Mayweather, he came out with another gem about Pacquiao I forgot.

'Manny Pacquiao is only famous because he's associated with my name, when they say Pacquiao they're saying 'that's the guy trying to get to Mayweather, when they say Floyd Mayweather they say 'That's an all time great'.

Hadn't Pacquiao fought Barrera, Morales, Marquez (several times), Cotto, Hatton, De La Hoya, Margarito, Mosley and exceeded Floyd in weight division titles and been named fighter of the decade at that point? Guy just can't stand it!

Thought Broner looked a lot better than his last few fights. Molina wasn't active at all, but when he did throw, Broner looked like he got some of that quickness back that he had been missing since moving up to 147. Was surprised at how tame he was outside the ring--Haymon must have told him to tone it down for NBC, minus the can-man bit that I still don't get what the controversy is about. Heard he has apparently called Khan out. Probably won't be his next match--he's apparently scheduled for a fight in Cincinnati in June (doubt it'll be against a name as big as Khan there) and we know Khan will probably be after the winner of Mayweather-Pacquiao, but wouldn't mind seeing those two meet after that.

Still need to watch Thurman-Guerrero--bad, I know, not having watched it yet. Looking forward to it--Thurman always puts on a smart, entertaining show. Sounds like he looked impressive again.

And, agreed on what has been said about the entrance. Think I like the regular ring walks better.

It's like they expect rock em sock em robots every second of every round regardless of what style the fighters usually operate in.

I was watching the Ortiz post fight interview of Mayweather, he came out with another gem about Pacquiao I forgot.

'Manny Pacquiao is only famous because he's associated with my name, when they say Pacquiao they're saying 'that's the guy trying to get to Mayweather, when they say Floyd Mayweather they say 'That's an all time great'.

Hadn't Pacquiao fought Barrera, Morales, Marquez (several times), Cotto, Hatton, De La Hoya, Margarito, Mosley and exceeded Floyd in weight division titles and been named fighter of the decade at that point? Guy just can't stand it!

Sometimes with crowds when its a hectic fight then slows right down out of nowhere it appears to the uninitiated that some sort of deliberate slowing down has taken place. Boos dont always mean that the crowds dissatisfied cuz they're not fighting, it often means theyre not fighting as the fans want, which is no less fickle and silly i suppose.

Yeah I guess not everyone is a boxing enthusiast, they want their money's worth which is fair I suppose but they ought to know what their money is paying for, it's like if Andre Ward rematched Froch in Nottingham, he'd get slaughtered by the crowd cause a tear up suits Froch and he'll get decimated by a technical approach from someone like Ward but and he'll still throw hard shots and engage but in a smarter way to outpoint him and the crowd will believe the best man lost even though the best man is the guy who wins the boxing match.

Yeah I get his point about fearing damage coming back from Oscar, Cotto, Margarito etc but Floyd hits hard enough to back off bigger fighters outweighing him, obv Pacman hits a lot harder and more venomous but Floyd can sting you, Maidana says his power is 'respectable', Mosley said he hits as hard as Canelo when you're there after the fight, he hurt Guerrero and Cotto, guy can crack but it's nothing to fear unless you're face first Hatton or can't give him something to think about. He's talking shit to wind Mayweather up, he knows he's 47-0 and only been hit clean about 25 times for a reason, Pacquiao is a fellow all time great who's resume equals if not surpasses Mayweather's despite the losses, this is boxing. If Floyd wins I don't think he passes Manny still, but it's an elite victory head to head imo.

Barrera, Morales and Marquez multiple times is just insane, I don't count the Oscar, Mosley and Hatton wins so much since Floyd beat them already and Oscar was a fucking corpse dehydrated, Hatton had a terrible training camp and Mosley was even more shopworn. Cotto was a great win for Pacquiao but he was definitely still game for Mayweather who etched out a gritty win. Clottey, Diaz and Algieri are meh for Pacman. Margarito is a superb win at 154.Canelo is a fantastic win for Floyd even though he bitched out and drained 2 pounds, made no difference. He walked the fucker down and straight up embarassed him infront of 15,000 mexicans like he did Marquez (wasn't settled at the weight though and Floyd outweighed him by miles), Ortiz and Guerrero are okay, Maidana is a decent win but in the grand scheme of things, it's not much for his legacy, Rios-level imo. Bradley for Pacquiao (twice) is an absolutely elite win. Their earlier resumes are also great talking points as they changed so much as fighters.

Press conference pic, can't believe we got a face off between these two greats;

B_2lFfVWYAAk0Rc.jpg

Edited by RandallFlagg

Heres the fight schedule for the next few weeks

http://www.premierboxingchampions.com/boxing-schedule

Porter v Garcia should be a blast.

Berto v Lopez is a nice matchup but Im looking forward moreso to the other fight next week

Porter v Garcia head 2 head

http://www.premierboxingchampions.com/porter-vs-garcia

Unfortunately, just saw Garcia has been scratched. Apparently four pounds overweight and didn't show up at the weigh-in. Have seen varying reports on who will replace him against Porter--either Karim Mayfield or Erick Bone. Not sure which one--have seen reporters/sites officially claim each one as the replacement.

Not yet, no, BoxNation and Sky are battling it out. I like the idea of BoxNation but there's something cheap about it also, i kinda hope Sky get it, which is terrible cuz it's be encouraging the monopoly instead of the up and coming but i got a couple of reasons for this. Sky are a proper professional outfit, they do those little montages and get interviews before the fight and actual decent experts, the trusted Jim Watt, Barry McGuigan, Nicky Piper, Glenn McCrory, all the lads and that...who do fuckin' BoxNation get? Buncey and some no mark. They're just so cheap, BoxNation basically buy JUST the fights, not even like the yank proper professional commentatary, so you end up with two wankers just doing this commentary, half the time talking over the fuckin' announcer and the ring walks. And by favorite bit, when there is the inevitable delay they just basically make Buncey talk that sub-cockney babble of his over and over. So you might get 2 or 3 fights between 1am and 5am and in between is just Buncey going on and on and on and on and on, sometimes they just run out of things to talk about and it's like someone recording your mates sitting on the sofa just mumbling about bollocks, it's a joke :lol:

Frank Warren basically made BoxNation as his big idea and to be fair to em it's growing by leaps and bounds but it's not quite the professional outfit it should be just yet so I'd rather it was on Sky. Better yet, stick it on the fuckin' Beeb or ITV for gratis.