Major League Baseball Thread - 2018 Season

DirtyDeeds

Nice post Downzy (I couldnt upvote it as I ran out of positive votes for the day, thats a really weird setting btw) and i love the quote "it's Fogarty in the era of Drake."

I agree with all of it, can anyone perceive as to why the conversation is starting now? Its been going on for awhile, can we pinpoint the tipping point as to why this is all of a sudden being addressed? I wonder what inspired the Rock piece

Edited by bt88
  • Like 1

Arrogance aside, lets start with the example of 2013

Payrolls: http://deadspin.com/2013-payrolls-and-salaries-for-every-mlb-team-462765594

1: Yankees- missed playoffs

2- LA Dodgers- lost in NLCS to the 11th highest salaried team, the Cardinals

3- Philly- missed playoffs

4- Red Sox- won world series

5- Tigers- Lost in ALCS

6- SF- missed playoffs

7- Angels- missed playoffs

Other playoff teams: Tampa (3rd lowest payroll) Cleveland (bottom 1/3) Pittsburgh (4th lowest) Oakland who won their division over the BIG BAD SPENDING Angels (5th lowest payroll) Cincy- mid pack, Atlanta, mid pack.

Of the 10 playoff teams , only 3 were in the top 10 payrolls.

For 2014

http://deadspin.com/2014-payrolls-and-salaries-for-every-mlb-team-1551868969

KC- 19th in payroll

Oakland- 25th

Baltimore- 15

Detroit- 5th

Angels- 6th

Pitt- 27th

San Fran- 7th

Washington- 9th

Dodgers- 1st

St Louis- 13th

Again, the majority came from the bottom half. The highest salaries 2-4 all missed the playoffs. Furthermore, the giants were seen as an outlier but got hot at the right time. No one expected them to win. It's been well documented the playoffs are a crapshoot due to the small sample size, and with the 2 wild cards, all you need to do is get in. And it's very clear that low payroll teams have a chance to get in.

And I know the counter is that "why have the high payroll teams won in these examples." Well lets look at the giants. If you wanna talk about talent on the field, Mad Bum was their stud and he was home grown. The series went 7 games. Sometimes things swing your way. Same with the 2013 red sox. Teams don't go from last to first often. Contracts like the victorino and Napoli ones were classic buy low, get a career season out of old guys, something smart GMs can do. These werent the expensive contracts. Their biggest contracts recently were Crawford and Gonzalez, and look what happened to them. Can high payroll teams afford better GMs? Sometimes. Sometimes not (ahem Ruben Amaro). So it takes savvy drafting and roster construction as much as it does money. Look at the Pirates and their shifting, the Royals trade of Wil Myers, the A's constant reshuffling or the Rays homegrown talent in recent years for examples. Talent comes in a lot of ways. This forum has been deep with the cubs love, did their talent come from big money or drafting and trades? Exactly

LOL SMH

How many small market clubs have won the world series in the last 15 years?

I didn't see you mention my facts about Boston (since you brought up Boston in the first place).

It's easy to bring up 1-2 examples every year and use that as your barometer. Hey, KC made the playoffs last year and they are a small market team. Yankees have a huge payroll and they suck. Der, der, der.

Why do the other major sports use a salary cap, if overall team salary doesn't matter???

The funny thing about you....or the sad thing.....is that half the time your examples PROVE MY POINT!!!! It's hilarious to watch.

Let me make it really simple for you to understand. Arrogance aside (what a stupid thing to say).

Buying better players - every team wants to do that. If not then free agency wouldn't exist.

Having more talented players gives you a better chance to win. Only a complete moron would disagree with that.

Having the most "talented" or "expensive" team doesn't mean you will win, but it puts you in a better position to win. The last 15 years of the MLB prove that.

If you aren't in the top half of the payroll numbers, your odds of winning the world series are almost nil. One team in the last 15 years. That's a FACT, not an opinion.

Me personally? Like I've said SEVERAL times, I love young hungry players over high priced veterans. The reason the Dodgers, with their high payroll, have failed the last couple of years is because they have too many fat cat lazy veterans on the their rosters. Even now, youngster Guerreo has FOUR home runs and 12-rbis in 16 at-bats. But Mattingly won't sit veteran Uribe who is in his mid-30s and off to a rough start. That's what is going to hold back LA, Mattingly prefers veterans to younger players.

Look, you can keep trying to argue with everything I say. It's funny, because half of what you say is actually agreeing with me, and half of what you say actually proves your points wrong. It's fascinating to watch. And half the time I'm not even sure what your argument is, because you are going off on a tangent about something I didn't even say.

But you keep that personal grudge going, boyeee.

The Code thing is a little overblown, imo. Just play the game the right way, and respect the game and your opponent. Players also need to SUCK it up. If you give up a game-winning homer, then don't get pissed off if the batter celebrates a little. Look at the NBA. A guy practically has an orgasm if he throws down a dunk in the 2nd quarter. Does he then get undercutted the next time he drives the lane?

One time in a little league game my team was getting killed, like 20-1 or something. It was at night, cold and raining. There is a "code" or unwritten rule that you stop stealing bases when you take a 10 run lead. The other team kept stealing bases and was playing really aggressive. So I started changed pitchers for every batter and used guys who had never pitched before. Next batter - I switched pitchers. Which involved players shuffling positions, pitcher getting his warm-up pitches. About a five minute process. The kid, who never pitched before, would promptly walk the guy on four straight pitches. Then I'd bring in another non-pitcher and go through the process again. After about the fourth pitching change and now a 30-minute long half-inning, the other team's coach came over and said "I got it, I got it." And I stopped with the pitching changes and he stopped stealing bases. His son actually came over and apologized after the game and said the players didn't want to keep stealing.

Let the two players "fight" who are involved in a beaning situation, like they do in hockey. Once that happened, all of these fake brawls would stop, and a lot of the beanings and crap would come to an end.

The best way to shut up a guy who is a jerk or who taunts or who overly celebrates is to beat him - with a home run, a strike out, for your team to win. All this flexing of the muscles stuff is stupid.

Apollo,

Learn how to discuss and respond respectfully or you won't last long. Disagreements will happen and to a certain extent are encouraged on the forum, but there's absolutely no need to respond in the manner that you're choosing.

You're being completely inappropriate in your response and antagonizing where it's unnecessary. Make your point, state your evidence, but enough with the "complete moron" and "boyee" bullshit. Bt88 made some great points, you made some great points, but the language you employ does absolutely nothing for the discussion we're trying to have.

This is your last warning on this.

LOL. Unbelievable.

But sure.

Edited by downzy
Removed content unrelated to the topic

Nice post Downzy (I couldnt upvote it as I ran out of positive votes for the day, thats a really weird setting btw) and i love the quote "it's Fogarty in the era of Drake."

I agree with all of it, can anyone perceive as to why the conversation is starting now? Its been going on for awhile, can we pinpoint the tipping point as to why this is all of a sudden being addressed? I wonder what inspired the Rock piece

Yeah, to be honest, I had no clue that this happening up until a couple of years ago. I went to a Detroit Tigers game a couple of years ago and was blown away how white the audience was. Detroit is a predominantly black city, so I was kind of blown away that I saw more Asian people in the stands than I did black people (though, almost every person there, save for the ticket takers, were black). I thought this was a strange phenomenon, perhaps a symptom of a greater structural racism, but I didn't know at the time that baseball had fallen out of favour with black Americans.

I'm not sure if I completely agree with Rock and William's arguments completely, that black interest in baseball is a result of the game being played "the right way." I'm more inclined to agree with the argument that other leagues, particularly the NBA, has done a better job marketing itself. Plus it's just easier to organize a game of pickup basketball than baseball, where you need 18 people to play a complete game. Considering a greater share of African Americans live in poorer neighbourhood than their whiter counterparts, it's no big surprise that fewer have access to organize sports that require community involvement.

the "baseball code" for the most part is just nonsense. the sandoval/jimenez situation a week or so ago was quite bullshit. sandoval made a clean hard slide into second and the next time up jimenez drilled him in the upper back(near the head).

Yeah, to be honest, I had no clue that this happening up until a couple of years ago. I went to a Detroit Tigers game a couple of years ago and was blown away how white the audience was. Detroit is a predominantly black city, so I was kind of blown away that I saw more Asian people in the stands than I did black people (though, almost every person there, save for the ticket takers, were black). I thought this was a strange phenomenon, perhaps a symptom of a greater structural racism, but I didn't know at the time that baseball had fallen out of favour with black Americans.

I'm not sure if I completely agree with Rock and William's arguments completely, that black interest in baseball is a result of the game being played "the right way." I'm more inclined to agree with the argument that other leagues, particularly the NBA, has done a better job marketing itself. Plus it's just easier to organize a game of pickup basketball than baseball, where you need 18 people to play a complete game. Considering a greater share of African Americans live in poorer neighbourhood than their whiter counterparts, it's no big surprise that fewer have access to organize sports that require community involvement.

I see what you're saying, Rock does point out how the poorer Dominican kids play baseball. Is this just a cultural thing? baseball was and is huge down there. Maybe Rock/Williams are still missing the link as to why baseball wasn't instilled in black communities in the first place. I think Williams slightly touches on that, maybe that kids probably didnt have many players to look up to?

Maybe what Rock and Williams are saying about "the right way" is misguided, but it might indirectly be connected to star power and marketing as you pointed out. The NBA is very good at marketing specific athletes. The MLB is not. If you had 2 pictures, one of Mike Trout and one of Lebron, and asked the majority of Americans who is who, wouldnt you bet on more people getting Lebron? Endorsement deals may factor into this. The MLB doesnt seem to want to highlight specific players as much as the NBA.

I always thought this was a problem with the NHL too. A lot of the good players are sort of low key or don't speak the language too well.

Edited by bt88

I see what you're saying, Rock does point out how the poorer Dominican kids play baseball. Is this just a cultural thing? baseball was and is huge down there. Maybe Rock/Williams are still missing the link as to why baseball wasn't instilled in black communities in the first place. I think Williams slightly touches on that, maybe that kids probably didnt have many players to look up to?

Maybe what Rock and Williams are saying about "the right way" is misguided, but it might indirectly be connected to star power and marketing as you pointed out. The NBA is very good at marketing specific athletes. The MLB is not. If you had 2 pictures, one of Mike Trout and one of Lebron, and asked the majority of Americans who is who, wouldnt you bet on more people getting Lebron? Endorsement deals may factor into this. The MLB doesnt seem to want to highlight specific players as much as the NBA.

I always thought this was a problem with the NHL too. A lot of the good players are sort of low key or don't speak the language too well.

Good point, I didn't think about the poor Dominican kids who play the game in less than ideal conditions. I suppose it's a cultural thing. Could also be a weather issue as well, as it's almost always bloody hot in the Dominican and baseball seems more conducive to really warm/hot temperatures than basketball, where you're constantly moving. I'm speak extemporaneously here of course. Another issue maybe that most African Americans live in urban settings, where in the Dominican, there's a lot more space and land where kids could easily play in a field. Land in most urban U.S. cities is expensive, hence access to baseball fields may not be as prevalent as it is for kids in the Dominican or Puerto Rico.

Ok, but on the other hand, if baseball gets more into rap music and that sort of thing at its games, and NBA/NFL-izing itself, might it lose its white fans?

It is true I am a purist. I cannot stand the little bit of updating to the newer crowd that baseball has done. I don't like modern music or rap music or even AC/DC music being played at ballgames. I LIKE the nostalgia. I want to hear the organ being played at the ballgame! I LIKE that baseball players do minimal self-congratulating. I feel that you see their emotion/celebration in the right amounts. I hate how in the NFL, after nearly every play there is some douchebag player doing a victory dance in the opponent's face, or wagging his finger or some stupid shit.

Maybe I am in the minority on that. But I am not the only one for sure. If that's what the game were to turn into, they would lose me and others like me.

I think it's a good, refreshing thing that baseball is built on nostalgia in a lot of ways. It's ritualistic, and people take comfort in returning to ritual. It feels like home.

Now I do think that there has been a mistreatment of the history of black baseball. For one thing, I think the Negro American and Negro National Leagues should be counted as official Major Leagues. It would take some work, but there must be a way to do this while still honoring both black and white baseball's record books. In there era of advanced statistics, maybe this is where we can introduce those advanced statistics to players of yesteryear. While the American League and the Negro American League cannot have its players compared in terms of total number of home runs in a season because the two leagues played a different number of games, there are other, newer statistics that can compare the players from the two leagues, so as to respect their different pasts, but to also in a sense integrate the past. Don't have it be that there was Major League Baseball, and there was Negro League Baseball. No, there were white major leagues and black major leagues. It's disingenuous to say otherwise, anyway, because Major League Baseball as a singular entity didn't even really exist. The term "major league" came from leagues that were big and prominent... and separate! The National League was a major league (lower case) as was the American League a major league (lower case), as was the Negro National League a major league (lower case), as was the Negro American League a major league (lower case). Major League Baseball (uppercase) wasn't a thing until later, but it has acted like it owns the history of the lower case major leagues, and it shouldn't.

But on the other hand it is difficult to pay tribute and honor the legacy of the negro leagues and the traditions of black baseball without the skeptics saying that they are just doing it to be PC.

• Like 1

Ok, but on the other hand, if baseball gets more into rap music and that sort of thing at its games, and NBA/NFL-izing itself, might it lose its white fans?

It is true I am a purist. I cannot stand the little bit of updating to the newer crowd that baseball has done. I don't like modern music or rap music or even AC/DC music being played at ballgames. I LIKE the nostalgia. I want to hear the organ being played at the ballgame! I LIKE that baseball players do minimal self-congratulating. I feel that you see their emotion/celebration in the right amounts. I hate how in the NFL, after nearly every play there is some douchebag player doing a victory dance in the opponent's face, or wagging his finger or some stupid shit.

Maybe I am in the minority on that. But I am not the only one for sure. If that's what the game were to turn into, they would lose me and others like me.

I think it's a good, refreshing thing that baseball is built on nostalgia in a lot of ways. It's ritualistic, and people take comfort in returning to ritual. It feels like home.

Now I do think that there has been a mistreatment of the history of black baseball. For one thing, I think the Negro American and Negro National Leagues should be counted as official Major Leagues. It would take some work, but there must be a way to do this while still honoring both black and white baseball's record books. In there era of advanced statistics, maybe this is where we can introduce those advanced statistics to players of yesteryear. While the American League and the Negro American League cannot have its players compared in terms of total number of home runs in a season because the two leagues played a different number of games, there are other, newer statistics that can compare the players from the two leagues, so as to respect their different pasts, but to also in a sense integrate the past. Don't have it be that there was Major League Baseball, and there was Negro League Baseball. No, there were white major leagues and black major leagues. It's disingenuous to say otherwise, anyway, because Major League Baseball as a singular entity didn't even really exist. The term "major league" came from leagues that were big and prominent... and separate! The National League was a major league (lower case) as was the American League a major league (lower case), as was the Negro National League a major league (lower case), as was the Negro American League a major league (lower case). Major League Baseball (uppercase) wasn't a thing until later, but it has acted like it owns the history of the lower case major leagues, and it shouldn't.

But on the other hand it is difficult to pay tribute and honor the legacy of the negro leagues and the traditions of black baseball without the skeptics saying that they are just doing it to be PC.

Fantastic post, as always.

Mattingly loves to stick with the veterans.

Juan Uribe - 37 years old and a free agent to be - is hitting 250 with 0 homers, 0 rbis in 36 at bats.

Guerrero - 27 years old - is hitting 474 with 4 homers, 12 rbis in only 19 at atbats.

Uribe had a decent year last year - hit over 300, but has no power or speed. And has literally been hurt for major portions of the season in all four of his years with LA. If the guy got 400 at bats, hit 290 with 12 homers - that would be considered a good year for him. I don't think he has had more than 380 at bats in any of his four seasons with the Dodgers.

Uribe is a better third baseman defensively than Guerreo is - no debate.

Uribe is, by all reports, a great clubhouse guy.

At what point do you sit down the veteran and play the younger guy?

With Uribe's age, lack of production and injury history - I would make the move today for Guerrero who is just tearing it up. Once his hot streak ends, and if Uribe is doing well in his spot starts, pinch-hitting and being a defensive replacement - then some platooning or mixing it up. But man - 36 at bats and 0 homers and 0 RBI compared to 19 at bats and 4 homers, 12 RBI. I personally would want to ride the hot bat.

(JUST MY OPINION. So please feel free to disagree)

Edited by Apollo

Dirty Deeds, you're definitely not the only one who thinks that way. Purism is more prevalent in baseball than any sport.

Can I ask what bugs you about NFL player celebrations and by extension I assume Puig? I just feel like it's an emotional game and the reactions are warranted. Especially football when your goal is to hit someone. Adrenaline runs high. Just as a personal aside, I've been a hockey fan my entire life and the athlete interviews are honestly kinda boring. I Iove the Ovechkins and Richard Shermans of the world. To me the big the personalities make it more interesting. And plenty of people disagree with that, I just am curious as to what drives the desire to see athletes tone it down.

I've begun to form two opinions based on the few Dodgers games I've watched so far this year. First, everyone needs to relax. Kershaw is fine. He's run into some bad luck, but he's throwing gas on the black and buckling knees just like always. Second, Don Mattingly might be an idiot.

Dirty Deeds, you're definitely not the only one who thinks that way. Purism is more prevalent in baseball than any sport.

Can I ask what bugs you about NFL player celebrations and by extension I assume Puig? I just feel like it's an emotional game and the reactions are warranted. Especially football when your goal is to hit someone. Adrenaline runs high. Just as a personal aside, I've been a hockey fan my entire life and the athlete interviews are honestly kinda boring. I Iove the Ovechkins and Richard Shermans of the world. To me the big the personalities make it more interesting. And plenty of people disagree with that, I just am curious as to what drives the desire to see athletes tone it down.

For me personally, I don't mind celebrations.

The ones I find annoying are when a dude makes a tackle in the 2nd quarter of a game his team is losing and he jumps up and dances like he just won a super bowl. Or a receiver makes a five-yard catch - in the 2nd quarter of a game his team is losing 24-0 - and he jumps up and gives an exaggerated first down signal. Or in basketball, on every play it seems like people are crying for a foul, and on every dunk the guy then runs down court, mouth wide open and screaming, pounding on his chest. Dude, you're 6-foot-8 and you just dunked - sweet. But it's the first quarter of the game and the score is 22-18. Simmer down.

The over-the-top celebrations just scream "LOOK AT ME, ME, ME" and I think that's why it turns people off. Purists enjoy the team aspect of sports and not the players trying to draw all the attention to themselves.

Players today do the same celebrations after a play in the 2nd quarter that the legends (Emmitt, Jerry Rice, Doctor J) would do after a shot/play that won a championship. Emmitt Smith would score a touchdown and hand the ball to the official. Beast Mode Lynch picks up a 10-yard run and pounds his chest, throws his hands in the air and hulks out - even though it's the first quarter of game six of the season.

For me Personally.................I enjoy seeing athletes celebrate. But would prefer to see it more on "big" plays rather than on plays that are just regular possessions during a game.

If I ran the NFL I'd 100% allow touchdown dances and celebrations - but I'd ban players giving first down signals and doing dances after a simple tackle.

Well that's a fair distinction. Remember how the raiders were celebrating last year and two guys didn't make it back to the line of scrimmage in time? Or chad johnsons Christmas bag thing in buffalo like 8 years ago.

Also the Angels look pretty bad with Hamilton. Sure he made his own bed to an extent they shouldn't have outed him the way they did.

• Like 1

Beast Mode Lynch picks up a 10-yard run and pounds his chest, throws his hands in the air and hulks out - even though it's the first quarter of game six of the season.

Really? I haven't seen that. I always kinda liked him because I never saw him do those things. The handshake celebration is boss as fuck.

Dh3B9Ti.gif

:lol:

Edited by magisme

Well all good things must come to an end.

With 8 left handed hitters, is this how a typical home Yankee game will be? A couple of guys hitting some lackluster fly balls (ok, yesterday there was one that would have been out anyway, the others not so much) that make it as right field home runs. That's just so boring.

Mets played poorly. I wonder if they got psyched out by the streak and by the fact it's the Yankees, who always seem to psyche them out, whether or not they are actually good. It will be interesting to see how tonight's and tomorrow's game goes.

Can I ask what bugs you about NFL player celebrations and by extension I assume Puig?

I just don't really care to see grown men proverbially humping each other like dogs asserting dominance. The "you're my bitch now!" attitude that I get from it just dumbs the whole thing down for me. I like athletes that come across like they are primarily outsmarting their opponent, and I like the more subtle psychological warfare you often get in baseball. Think of a little guy like Pedro Martinez. He'll fan you, and then he'll stare you down your whole way back to the dugout. I like that. Making some fairly minor tackle and then getting up and celebrating and wagging your finger just makes the player seem like a dumb piece of muscle, even if they are smart (though that's probably unlikely in the NFL especially, for most positions).

With 8 left handed hitters, is this how a typical home Yankee game will be? A couple of guys hitting some lackluster fly balls (ok, yesterday there was one that would have been out anyway, the others not so much) that make it as right field home runs. That's just so boring.

Mets played poorly. I wonder if they got psyched out by the streak and by the fact it's the Yankees, who always seem to psyche them out, whether or not they are actually good. It will be interesting to see how tonight's and tomorrow's game goes.

That right field in Yankees stadium is a joke. You're right, they could just load up on left handed hitters and homer their want to a lot of wins. I suppose the same could be said for Boston. And yes, the Rogers Centre is a home-run happy ballpark as well, but at least there's no advantage for lefties over righties.

That right field in Yankees stadium is a joke. You're right, they could just load up on left handed hitters and homer their want to a lot of wins. I suppose the same could be said for Boston. And yes, the Rogers Centre is a home-run happy ballpark as well, but at least there's no advantage for lefties over righties.

The difference between Yankee Stadium and Fenway Park in this regard, though, besides Right Field versus Left Field, is that at least the Monster is 36 or whatever feet high! Right Field at Yankee Stadium is just as short as Left Field at Fenway, but Yankee Stadium's fence is standard height.

I think it's kind of messed up that Mark Tiexiera has 8 home runs at this point in the year. Especially considering he only has 7 non-home run hits. Sounds like 5 of those home runs should have been fly outs.

Edited by DirtyDeeds