Need Court / Fines Advice

Black Sabbath

So a few weeks ago my girlfriend got pulled over for speeding. The officer gave her a court date and a fine, but said if she pays the fine she doesn't have to go to court, but he recommended that she go to court.

She was clearly speeding and would be pleading guilty to it, so maybe I just don't understand it, but I wouldn't see what the benefit or point of going to court would be and say she should just pay the fine and not worry about going to court.

Any thoughts?

Dependent on where you live, you can avoid a fine and points by attending a course on how to drive safely.

You can only get this by attending a court appearance though.

It only happens once though, and like I said, it may not be pertinent to where you live, but it is worth looking into

Dependent on where you live, you can avoid a fine and points by attending a course on how to drive safely.

You can only get this by attending a court appearance though.

It only happens once though, and like I said, it may not be pertinent to where you live, but it is worth looking into

Good call, I've also heard of that. One of my friends is actually doing one of those courses right now; the one he's doing is called something like, "Defense Driving" or "Aggressive Driving." I always call it "Offensive Driving," because he is a quite offensive individual. :lol:

Always fight the ticket. Check to see how tickets affect insurance in your state, but where I live (Ontario, Canada), paying a fine/pleading guilty, regardless of whether points are associated with the infraction, causes your insurance premiums to go up. And they can go up a lot, depending on your plan/insurer.

Best thing to do is to fight the ticket and hope the cop doesn't show up. The court will automatically throw out the ticket and have it expunged from your record. If the cop does show up, make up some bullshit excuse. If this is your girlfriend's first ticket, it's likely the judge will go easy on her if she explains she was really distraught that day for reasons a, b, and c. Another possible argument is that the cop was being arbitrary in who he pulled over. If your girlfriend was surrounded by other cars doing a similar speed, then the cop must explain why he pulled her over versus other people. If he can't give a good reason, the ticket gets tossed.

Always fight the ticket. Check to see how tickets affect insurance in your state, but where I live (Ontario, Canada), paying a fine/pleading guilty, regardless of whether points are associated with the infraction, causes your insurance premiums to go up. And they can go up a lot, depending on your plan/insurer.

Best thing to do is to fight the ticket and hope the cop doesn't show up. The court will automatically throw out the ticket and have it expunged from your record. If the cop does show up, make up some bullshit excuse. If this is your girlfriend's first ticket, it's likely the judge will go easy on her if she explains she was really distraught that day for reasons a, b, and c. Another possible argument is that the cop was being arbitrary in who he pulled over. If your girlfriend was surrounded by other cars doing a similar speed, then the cop must explain why he pulled her over versus other people. If he can't give a good reason, the ticket gets tossed.

The only thing is, she was doing 63 in a 35 on a back-type road. Not the highway or anything :lol:

So a few weeks ago my girlfriend got pulled over for speeding. The officer gave her a court date and a fine, but said if she pays the fine she doesn't have to go to court, but he recommended that she go to court.

She was clearly speeding and would be pleading guilty to it, so maybe I just don't understand it, but I wouldn't see what the benefit or point of going to court would be and say she should just pay the fine and not worry about going to court.

Any thoughts?

More often than not if you go to court they will reduce the fine or omit the ticket so long as you promise to take a driving class. This is beneficial for you because your insurance will not be affected.

The only thing is, she was doing 63 in a 35 on a back-type road. Not the highway or anything :lol:

Tell her not to be a fucking retard then.

Most courts will allow you a certain number of reschedules of the court date. Do this as many times as allowed as there is a better chance the cop who wrote the ticket will not show up.

I would also ask for the calibration certificate for the radar gun and ask if the cop has a training record. long shots but if it is a local police there is a chance the radar gun was not in calibration.

Hire a lawyer. It will cost probably $400-$450, but will be cheaper in the long run, plus there won't be points on her license or insurance premium increases, and she won't have to even show up to court. It will be taken care of. And then after that she needs to not drive stupidly.