So what happened to these songs????

Five O'clock might have fit in with grunge. But this Slash Axl stuff just obscures the reality that Izzy was gone. There's barely a song on UYI 1 which isn't Izzy.

Live n Let Die

Back off Bitch

November Rain

The Garden

Garden Eden

Don't Damn Me

Dead Horse

Coma

Okay, half the songs are Izzy. But still you're struggling for a single. If Slash won't work with Axl then you're up the creek. But maybe that's what AFD is? Slash basically playing Izzy riffs with Axl singing.

Edited by wasted
  • Like 1

A Snakepit is where they used through Viking warlords as punishment.

So a year after Snakepit came out, on that bender tour with ACDC where Slash got pneomonia and exhaustion, they met up again to try to make a GNR album. Axl brings in Tobias and it goes wrong? All sounds a bit of shambles. Axl recording industrial material with Tobias. Slash and Duff jamming. Duff writing with Izzy. Who's the producer on this bad boy?

You have your chronology all wrong there. The DC thing was the second incarnation of Snakepit, i.e. after Slash had left Guns. Also, Tobias was already around; he had been around since the Sympathy cover in 1994.

So 95 - Snakepit release, a tour?

96 - duff/slash jams - Slash finally decides can't play with Tobias and decides not to join Axls new partnership of GNR?

So either side of the Snakepit release they tried to find common ground but failed?

At that time Axl has something going with Tobias as above. So this is what Slash is referring to as industrial or whatever.

Whereas Axl says but everything we did with Slash was blues based rock.

I guess the scope of Axls project was mind boggling. Has no real direction or end game. There's no way for Slash to know where it's going. In a job Slash would say he's undermining me. You've got another guitarist you're working with. Izzy seemed to just bring in ideas or riffs Slash expanded on.

It's Five O Clock was recorded September-October 1994 and, released February 1995; the tour was February - March 1995 with one final gig in August at Donnington.

In the 1996 sessions, Slash and Duff were trying to make Axl's 'new arrangement' work. It failed and they quit. Axl's takeover is 31st August 1995 so the power grab had already happened.

So they actually signed on to the new GNR. Or they never really fully committed? They were working with the knowledge that Axl could basically do what he wants.

This period is what Axl is talking about when he says Slash didn't allow anything to work. Slash thinks Axl thought anything Slash played was a song, but it was really just ideas?

Slash seemed to be hesitating over the new Axl controlled GNR.

Well, yes. I hate to break the news to you but Axl dissolved the old band and created a new one in its place with the same name. This happened, late 1995. He then tried to hire Slash and Duff as contract players to this new enterprise. Technically I suppose, Slash and Duff were the first 'new gnr' members along with Tobias, Matt and Dizzy.

Basically, in simplified terms, there were various attempts to make an album before Axl took over gnr during 1994-95, and various attempts after in 1996. The last attempt ended up in Slash leaving. Duff and Matt stayed on a bit longer but left in 1997. I do not get the impression reading Chinese Whispers of any great sustained sessions, just sporadic attempts and a lot of wanking about in an empty studio. I suspect this mythical 1994-96 'lost' album consists of a dozen tapes of jamming and riffs. Judging by what they all say, there was not much realised apart from Axl of course who insists Slash produced ''his greatest bluesiest work during this period'' but that is Axl for you.

Slash's next record was with Jack Douglas?

I don't see why they couldn't churn out some material like they did for Illusions.

Edited by wasted

A Snakepit is where they used through Viking warlords as punishment.

So a year after Snakepit came out, on that bender tour with ACDC where Slash got pneomonia and exhaustion, they met up again to try to make a GNR album. Axl brings in Tobias and it goes wrong? All sounds a bit of shambles. Axl recording industrial material with Tobias. Slash and Duff jamming. Duff writing with Izzy. Who's the producer on this bad boy?

You have your chronology all wrong there. The DC thing was the second incarnation of Snakepit, i.e. after Slash had left Guns. Also, Tobias was already around; he had been around since the Sympathy cover in 1994.

So 95 - Snakepit release, a tour?

96 - duff/slash jams - Slash finally decides can't play with Tobias and decides not to join Axls new partnership of GNR?

So either side of the Snakepit release they tried to find common ground but failed?

At that time Axl has something going with Tobias as above. So this is what Slash is referring to as industrial or whatever.

Whereas Axl says but everything we did with Slash was blues based rock.

I guess the scope of Axls project was mind boggling. Has no real direction or end game. There's no way for Slash to know where it's going. In a job Slash would say he's undermining me. You've got another guitarist you're working with. Izzy seemed to just bring in ideas or riffs Slash expanded on.

It's Five O Clock was recorded September-October 1994 and, released February 1995; the tour was February - March 1995 with one final gig in August at Donnington.

In the 1996 sessions, Slash and Duff were trying to make Axl's 'new arrangement' work. It failed and they quit. Axl's takeover is 31st August 1995 so the power grab had already happened.

So they actually signed on to the new GNR. Or they never really fully committed? They were working with the knowledge that Axl could basically do what he wants.

This period is what Axl is talking about when he says Slash didn't allow anything to work. Slash thinks Axl thought anything Slash played was a song, but it was really just ideas?

Slash seemed to be hesitating over the new Axl controlled GNR.

Well, yes. I hate to break the news to you but Axl dissolved the old band and created a new one in its place with the same name. This happened, late 1995. He then tried to hire Slash and Duff as contract players to this new enterprise. Technically I suppose, Slash and Duff were the first 'new gnr' members along with Tobias, Matt and Dizzy.

Basically, in simplified terms, there were various attempts to make an album before Axl took over gnr during 1994-95, and various attempts after in 1996. The last attempt ended up in Slash leaving. Duff and Matt stayed on a bit longer but left in 1997. I do not get the impression reading Chinese Whispers of any great sustained sessions, just sporadic attempts and a lot of wanking about in an empty studio. I suspect this mythical 1994-96 'lost' album consists of a dozen tapes of jamming and riffs. Judging by what they all say, there was not much realised apart from Axl of course who insists Slash produced ''his greatest bluesiest work during this period'' but that is Axl for you.

Slash's next record was with Jack Douglas?

Yes but he had quit by then.

Some people saying what Slash did was wrong and how could he use his own songs on the snakepit albums, well Axl dint like them, so Slash has a right to use it anywhere and people who are defending Axl, if your Axl is so great then why it took so much time for CD to be released? why there is no new album after CD? I assume that is also Slash's fault

I actually feel bad for Robin and Bucket, they also recorded a lot of stuff and I assume they are not allowed to use that material as Axl has a right to it

• Like 1

Some people saying what Slash did was wrong and how could he use his own songs on the snakepit albums, well Axl dint like them, so Slash has a right to use it anywhere and people who are defending Axl, if your Axl is so great then why it took so much time for CD to be released? why there is no new album after CD? I assume that is also Slash's fault

I actually feel bad for Robin and Bucket, they also recorded a lot of stuff and I assume they are not allowed to use that material as Axl has a right to it

Apparently, having rejected the Pit demos, Axl then decided that he wanted two or three of the demos after all to which Slash replied, ''too late, I have already recorded the thing as a solo record and it is about to be released''. This hurt Axl. You can believe Slash, that Axl said he had no interest and wanted to do NIN stuff, or Axl, that Slash came in and told him ''to play the snakepit stuff note for note as it was written'', but one thing that is clear is there was a breakdown in their relationship over the snakepit issue. Perhaps that was the final straw.