Guns N' Roses' 'Sweet Child O' Mine' crowned as 'best guitar riff'

ANI | Jun 8, 2015, 04.08 PM IST (Times of India)

The iconic song that started out as a warm exercise by lead guitarist Slash, who hated the song, came to life when the fellow band members heard him playing the riff as he warmed up for a rehearsal session, reported the Mirror.

Also, Jimi Hendrix was named the greatest guitarist to have ever lived in the Sky Arts poll that was carried out to mark the launch of the show 'Guitar Star.'

Edith Bowman, the presenter of the show said that the list is a fantastic way to remind people why the guitar is still one of the most popular instruments all over the world.

Deep Purple's 1972 rock anthem 'Smoke On The Water' was given the second slot on the list and 'Johnny B. Goode' by legendary U.S guitarist Chuck Berry came third.

NOW THIS SH1T REALLY BOTHERS ME: They attached Bumblefoots pic with the article....

http://postimg.org/image/dsydmyvmj/

***Thanks Bumble for the riff****

thought it was labeled as plagiate?

That guy won't let it drop. If its plagiarism, fair enough. If its pure coincidence, then get over it. Duff said it was BS, I think 99% of the board would side with Duff's opinion because he's a laid back straight shooter.

That guy won't let it drop. If its plagiarism, fair enough. If its pure coincidence, then get over it. Duff said it was BS, I think 99% of the board would side with Duff's opinion because he's a laid back straight shooter.

You couldn't be more wrong, "that guy" (James Reyne) doesn't even bring it up (I just saw him on TV last night actually) and he is very, very cool about it.

They even put the Nirvana thing to him and he just laughed it off.

It's "us" internet people that won't let it drop, James Reyne is happily touring his greatest hits and doing what he has always done-playing and writing music.

You couldn't be more wrong, "that guy" (James Reyne) doesn't even bring it up (I just saw him on TV last night actually) and he is very, very cool about it.

They even put the Nirvana thing to him and he just laughed it off.

It's "us" internet people that won't let it drop, James Reyne is happily touring his greatest hits and doing what he has always done-playing and writing music.

Fair enough.

Fair enough.

100% dude, James Reyne is as bemused by this as anybody.

The Australian media has tried their best to make something of this but none of it has come from the man himself, he has been very cool about it...probably because just about every songwriter has nicked or twisted somebody else's work and made it their own.

Even if SCOM did start with them hearing Unpublished Critics, the end result is all their (GNR's) own as far as I'm concerned.

When I heard the riff of SCOM, it reminded me of the carousels theme park kinda sound. And then I went back and heard interviews of Slash who did mention that he was just mucking around and started playing a circus kinda riff.

And I think atleast thats genuine.

But whats with Bumble's pic being used with SCOM.

Edited by Darkness Descends

If Robin Thicke or what ever his name & Pharrell hadn't had ripped off Marvin Gaye and the Sam Smith/Tom Petty ordeal this has really brought this more attention if I'm honest.

• Like 1

Thank you Mr. Thal for giving us that Riff, most prob. by now Ashba thinks he composed that riff, now some people will quote me saying why Im mentioning Ashba or Ron in this thread.....

Edited by Slash787

Deserves to be heralded as one of the best, that's beyond any doubt.

Definitely.

It's a timeless song with an incredible riff.

They really put BBF's picture on the article? :lol::facepalm:

He wrote the riff somewhere in the mid 80s, man. I don't know what ya facepalming for.