Vodka martini, shaken not stirred.

Georgy Zhukov

Aren't martinis shaken in the first place?

Shaking the martini would cause the ice to chip and dilute the alcohol content. I believe gin and vodka use to be higher proof of alcohol compared to nowadays. Or you can just get higher proof. Maybe. But stirring it wouldn't dilute it as much.

Supposedly a shaken martini would cause breakdown of chemicals such as hydrogen peroxide. More anti-oxidants and all that good stuff. Therefore a shake martini is a healthier martini. In moderation of course.

reminded me of this joke

During ww2, two German spies were sent to England to gather valuable intel. To immerse themselves in the local culture they walk into a pub. The first German says to the barman in an impeccable English accent

- May I have two Martinis please?

- Dry? - asked the barman

- Nein! Zwei! - the second German replied :lol:

• Like 3

Aren't martinis shaken in the first place?

Shaking the martini would cause the ice to chip and dilute the alcohol content. I believe gin and vodka use to be higher proof of alcohol compared to nowadays. Or you can just get higher proof. Maybe. But stirring it wouldn't dilute it as much.

Supposedly a shaken martini would cause breakdown of chemicals such as hydrogen peroxide. More anti-oxidants and all that good stuff. Therefore a shake martini is a healthier martini. In moderation of course.

I guess No Bartender thought of so many details while making any martini lol

• 3 weeks later...

James Bond was written by a guy from 5 minutes away in a neighbourhood called Norbury, he wrote out in Jamaica though, of all places..

Norbury used to also be the UK's Langley, VA, that's how people in my family first came down to Norbury for training from Battersea :lol:

Kina Lillet was used for the Vesper but it has been discontinued for years.

Use Cocchi Americano instead.

Even the Gordon's Gin has changed so you have to use Tanquery or Bombay Sapphire. The vodka should be 100 proof, grain vodka is preferred.

Lillet Blanc is the successor to Kina Lillet - from my understanding it is more or less the same product under a new name. I went on a hunt to find either that or Cochhi Americano last weekend since I know Georgy has mentioned that in the Bond thread - wasn't able to find either one.