November Rain in top 100 most-viewed Youtube videos of all time

16 minutes ago, Apollo said:

The hyperbole from some of you is funny. 

I love how much you guys care what I think. 

Its cool that a GnR video has received so many YouTube plays.  But it's also a format that Katy Perry as a couple in the top ten of all time. 

Lol. Apparently to be a "true" fan we must worship everything Axl does. Smh. 

No joke do you have a crush on Axl that you are having a hard time dealing with? You seem to think this forum is a gushingly flamboyant Axl nut-sucking site. I think there are some like that but from my perspective the vast majority of the complaints on here are directed at Axl, fairly or unfairly.

I notice you like to come in to just about any topic, and post something that essentially is akin to a back handed compliment. Meaning you play victim in that people respond to whatever negative comment you say about how Axl isn't impressive or what he needs to do, or in this case reminding everyone that "artists like Katy Perry are in the top 100 too", but then always respond to peoples responses along the lines of "Don't get so worked up over my opinion." And when you are really feeling frisky you say shit like "Too bad Axl doesn't get this worked up over his band." Like it's always got to have that little one liner there right? 

I think it's awesome a 25 year old video can compete with the monstrosity today's pop music is. Add in YouTube is used primarily by younger people, who generally are attracted to newer, pop music. It's an impressive feat for sure for GNR. And Katy Perry is one of the biggest stars today, like it or not, so for GNR to compete in today's marketplace with her is cool. You realize it's not a slight right? Because November Rain is obviously a masterpiece musically, lyrically and the video. So if anything you should be saying "Isn't it great that in our bloated pop entertainment world, a song with the integrity of November Rain can garner just as much popularity as a Katy Perry?" 

I can balance both truths of yes, YouTube views don't mean everything, and popularity for that matter sometimes has little to do with quality which I think is the point you are scratching at, but I also understand the role and importance of technology and sites like YouTube, and like it or not, it's exposed a lot of people to that video and GNR. No other artist pre 2000 has a video with that many views. That is saying something.

Furthermore, YouTube is the 2nd most visited website on the globe, second only to google. For a band with little self flaunting, who has been seen by many to be basically non existent up until this year since 1993, to have a video in the top 100 viewed videos, on the 2nd most visited website in the world, is extremely impressive. Threads get made when Axl is trending on Yahoo search engine. It's cool for fans to see "their" band getting accolades. It's really as simple as that.

With your constant need to play devils advocate or be the one who critiques Axl, in what you feel is a forum that does not do that, I can't help but think if say, this were a Nirvana vs. GNR "popularity" thread, and switching the roles to say Smells like Teen Spirit was the video from 91 with 600 million views, and November Rain had half that, you would be telling us this is the reason Nirvana is more popular, or using it to make that point.

We all see things how we want to see them. But you're playing victim or you attempt to be the "voice of reason" but honestly your posts are more and more coming across of the ramblings of a crazed, closeted man with an odd attraction/aversion to W. Axl Rose. I don't mean any grief to you personally and the closeted comment is really good natured ribbing, but  dude. Come on. 

Run on sentences were probably littered all over this but it makes it harder to read and understand which gets you thinking of a better response. I still think you are a good poster and I enjoy reading your posts, let's just ease up on the constant negativity and you could be one of the better ones up there with @Rovim and @wasted. Go read the last few pages of the social media thread. It's essentially a shit on Axl fest, as usual.

45 minutes ago, Apollo said:

The hyperbole from some of you is funny. 

I love how much you guys care what I think. 

Its cool that a GnR video has received so many YouTube plays.  But it's also a format that Katy Perry as a couple in the top ten of all time. 

Lol. Apparently to be a "true" fan we must worship everything Axl does. Smh. 

For you, any little love for this band is worship. No one can say anything good about them because in your book, they are inmediately asskissers, Axl worshippers, brainless sheep. I never read anything positive coming from you.

Nothing wrong with being critical, but 110% of the time over-critical? :shrugs:

You can't compare November Rain video views to Katy Perry's ones. Do it when Katy Perry's videos reach 400 million views in 2040. Then we will see which other current artists survived the test of time as GN'R did.

Everybody else explained this to you in every single way they could find but you're being stubborn just for the sake of being stubborn.

No one cares what you think, as you can see, no one agrees with you. It's just the fact that you will fight everybody to defend something that makes no sense.

If you think this is not relevant for the fans or the band and you don't consider it important to you, FINE. But don't tell people they should feel different about it or argue something that is a fact.

10 hours ago, Sprite said:

No joke do you have a crush on Axl that you are having a hard time dealing with? You seem to think this forum is a gushingly flamboyant Axl nut-sucking site. I think there are some like that but from my perspective the vast majority of the complaints on here are directed at Axl, fairly or unfairly.

I notice you like to come in to just about any topic, and post something that essentially is akin to a back handed compliment. Meaning you play victim in that people respond to whatever negative comment you say about how Axl isn't impressive or what he needs to do, or in this case reminding everyone that "artists like Katy Perry are in the top 100 too", but then always respond to peoples responses along the lines of "Don't get so worked up over my opinion." And when you are really feeling frisky you say shit like "Too bad Axl doesn't get this worked up over his band." Like it's always got to have that little one liner there right? 

I think it's awesome a 25 year old video can compete with the monstrosity today's pop music is. Add in YouTube is used primarily by younger people, who generally are attracted to newer, pop music. It's an impressive feat for sure for GNR. And Katy Perry is one of the biggest stars today, like it or not, so for GNR to compete in today's marketplace with her is cool. You realize it's not a slight right? Because November Rain is obviously a masterpiece musically, lyrically and the video. So if anything you should be saying "Isn't it great that in our bloated pop entertainment world, a song with the integrity of November Rain can garner just as much popularity as a Katy Perry?" 

I can balance both truths of yes, YouTube views don't mean everything, and popularity for that matter sometimes has little to do with quality which I think is the point you are scratching at, but I also understand the role and importance of technology and sites like YouTube, and like it or not, it's exposed a lot of people to that video and GNR. No other artist pre 2000 has a video with that many views. That is saying something.

Furthermore, YouTube is the 2nd most visited website on the globe, second only to google. For a band with little self flaunting, who has been seen by many to be basically non existent up until this year since 1993, to have a video in the top 100 viewed videos, on the 2nd most visited website in the world, is extremely impressive. Threads get made when Axl is trending on Yahoo search engine. It's cool for fans to see "their" band getting accolades. It's really as simple as that.

With your constant need to play devils advocate or be the one who critiques Axl, in what you feel is a forum that does not do that, I can't help but think if say, this were a Nirvana vs. GNR "popularity" thread, and switching the roles to say Smells like Teen Spirit was the video from 91 with 600 million views, and November Rain had half that, you would be telling us this is the reason Nirvana is more popular, or using it to make that point.

We all see things how we want to see them. But you're playing victim or you attempt to be the "voice of reason" but honestly your posts are more and more coming across of the ramblings of a crazed, closeted man with an odd attraction/aversion to W. Axl Rose. I don't mean any grief to you personally and the closeted comment is really good natured ribbing, but  dude. Come on. 

Run on sentences were probably littered all over this but it makes it harder to read and understand which gets you thinking of a better response. I still think you are a good poster and I enjoy reading your posts, let's just ease up on the constant negativity and you could be one of the better ones up there with @Rovim and @wasted. Go read the last few pages of the social media thread. It's essentially a shit on Axl fest, as usual.

Well said.

when you take into consideration that the band died 20+ years ago,and that they were pretty much erased from the music scene, and that this song has not been used in a movie/commercial/TV, it makes this even more impressive. Just goes to show what a great piece of music it is. The video and the song did it on its own.

It is crazy to think that this band never got to enjoy the Internet age. Imagine how big they would have become had they stayed together and released a couple more awesome records. It didn't even have to be as good as Appetite. The November Rain views would be at least doubled at this point. 

• Like 1

Epic video and Epic song. Considering there is a shit load of videos on there, and with todays generation watching just about fucking anything.. its great that a song this old is still getting that many hits. 

off-topic ...and FWIW.. one of my favorite GNR vids on youtube is the GNR lies version of Jungle... The live footage of guns playing in amongst a whole heap of footage of shit being blown up still deadset rocks.