November Rain in top 100 most-viewed Youtube videos of all time

It is incredible that that music video has to this day brought interest. It's really a benchmark for big budget music videos, and the song itself is going to stand the test of time, it's beautiful.

I'm surprised that the video has had so many people go back to it and watch it. Obviously that list is modern, but GNR broke through a list of songs made in the last 5 years. I think it's remarkable.

• Like 3

This is actually really significant.

I have my fingers in the music industry, so to speak. And let me tell you, from a business perspectives YouTube is COLOSSAL. It's more important to the music business than any other platform.

YouTube is where the most music is listened to. It dwarfs Spotify, iTunes, and etc.

So, for GNR to be at the top of the heap is very telling.

GNR in its time was such a remarkable, magical thing. In time, GNR will be viewed as one of the absolute greatest. They earned that spot.

And despite how "nice of a guy" Ron is, NuGNR means absolutely shit.

• Like 1

So it takes that hallowed space next to Gangham style and videos of kittens that sound like they're saying 'hippopotamous' and fat women falling down trapdoors, whoop de doo. (although the fatty falling down a trapdoor one is pretty cool :lol:)

Great song

Great video

But let's not jerk each other off too much. Bieber is number two, Katy Perry has two in the top five, Jennifer Lopez and Shakira are in the top ten.

your missing the point, that is exactly why this is so amazing. It makes sense for all those artists to be up there because they are recent artists releasing these songs in the current era which is the YouTube era. But somehow a song that was released 24 years ago by essentially a dead band and that is 9 mins long which is really long by todays mainstream song standards has somehow matched all of these current artists in views makes a big statement. Which mostly points to how much a mesmerizing/ memorable song and music video this was, and proves that great music stands the test of time. Unlike the artists you mentioned.

The youth of today is what makes up the biggest population of youtube users they were not even born or barely born when GNR were singing this song lol.

Edited by amacfantasy
  • Like 3

I think this is flippin' amazing. I'm not even a big fan of the video but, really, no cynicism needed. 24 years on... that's quite something.

A recent episode of 'Don't Tell the Bride' (BBC1, UK) had the groom designing his whole wedding on the NR video.

I think this is flippin' amazing. I'm not even a big fan of the video but, really, no cynicism needed. 24 years on... that's quite something.

A recent episode of 'Don't Tell the Bride' (BBC1, UK) had the groom designing his whole wedding on the NR video.

Yeah even after so many years the video is still amazing, I did post about the GNR themed wedding here, http://www.mygnrforum.com/index.php?/topic/211951-gnr-themed-wedding/

Yeah even after so many years the video is still amazing, I did post about the GNR themed wedding here, http://www.mygnrforum.com/index.php?/topic/211951-gnr-themed-wedding/

Oops - sorry - had not seen that post. Will have a look now...

Great song

Great video

But let's not jerk each other off too much. Bieber is number two, Katy Perry has two in the top five, Jennifer Lopez and Shakira are in the top ten.

your missing the point, that is exactly why this is so amazing. It makes sense for all those artists to be up there because they are recent artists releasing these songs in the current era which is the YouTube era. But somehow a song that was released 24 years ago by essentially a dead band and that is 9 mins long which is really long by todays mainstream song standards has somehow matched all of these current artists in views makes a big statement. Which mostly points to how much a mesmerizing/ memorable song and music video this was, and proves that great music stands the test of time. Unlike the artists you mentioned.

The youth of today is what makes up the biggest population of youtube users they were not even born or barely born when GNR were singing this song lol.

Do you have a crystal ball or the ability to travel into the future? How do you know that top songs and artists of the last decade aren't going to stand the test of time?

And the length of the songs literally makes no difference in this conversation. If a viewer watches thirty seconds or nine minutes it still just counts as one viewing.

And what does 24 years ago matter. One could argue that it actually helps GnR as they have two generations of fans in that time frame. The Biebers and Swifts only have one.

And isn't that Bieber top five song at least a decade old? So it's not like the top 50 songs are all current ones

And I'm not missing any point. People use numbers to prove or disprove anything they want. If I said that Justin Bieber was a more significant artist than Axl Rose and I used YouTube views, concert sales numbers and albums sales - you and half the forum would chime in that those "numbers" didn't prove anything. But if some GnR related numbers look good......then by all means, let's use them!!!!

Bieber selling out doesn't mean anything. But Bieber age fans liking a GnR song now means something? I'm so confused. Do teenage and pre-teens matter in judging quality or don't they? Or do they only matter if they like GnR, but if they like Kayne then they don't matter? You really can't have it both ways.

And again. I love the song and video. I had a metal blog for about and did a "best ballad of all time" competition. I started with 64 songs and worked my way down to a champion. Guess which two songs made it to the championship matchup? SCOM and November Rain.

Awesome that 24 year old GnR stuff is still relevant. But I think you are going way overboard with this topic.

But it's a free country. Gush away, bub.