Eli Roth's The Green Inferno

Val22

Okay, The Green Inferno opens this Friday. Anyone who's seen any Eli Roth movies knows that no one gets out of his movies alive. Well, in Hostel 2 that woman had money so she lived, but she was nuts.

I've seen a lot of previews to this movie and it looks crazy.

DJ Ashba has some previews on his twitter page and he also wrote the music for the movie.

It's about a group of young adults who want to go to Brazil to help the natives save the rain forest.

Unfortunately for them, their plane crashes near not so friendly natives who are also cannibals.

From the scenes I've seen nothing is held back in the torture department. I'm pretty sure it'll be disturbing.

I've seen all Eli's movies, but cannot watch them more than once.

Eli makes movies that will give you night mares for days to come.

I think it looks terrible. Am I the only one who thinks Roth is kind of awful when it comes to movie making?

He follows the same formula in every single movie he does.

Young people having the time of their life. Then boom, out of nowhere a huge BOOM occurs. And all hell breaks loose.

I was watching movie at a friends house that I hadn't heard of. Kids on vacation. Partying and having a blast. While at a nightclub having the time of their life an earthquake hits and there are some graphic kill scenes.

I turned to my friend and said "this is the exact formula that Eli Roth uses in all his movies."

He laughed and threw me the DVD case. It was Eli's last movie.

On a side note, nightmares? Really?

I think it looks terrible. Am I the only one who thinks Roth is kind of awful when it comes to movie making?

I think Eli goes for shock value.

When I visited Vegas to see GNR, Eli Roth had a horror whatever called Eli roth's Goretorium. My kids and I went before the concert. It was about $40 each. We also bought t-shirts. Anyway, the place closed not even a year later.

Since seeing so many many shows regarding how special effects are made, there was really nothing new we hadn't seen. It was dark you went to different levels. Mostly people dressed up were yelling in your face so you really didn't get a good look at all the gore and horror around you. Plus we just laughed our way through it. The one guy in the beginning tells you this fictious story about it being on top of a mental hospital and how many inmates escaped and are still there. Anyway, like I said you were chased and yelled out the whole time you really couldn't enjoy seeing the shit around you. I wasn't surprised that it closed soon after. DJ Ashba did the music for this place too, although I couldn't tell you even hearing music because of all the yelling. lol

I personally hate movies about cannalbuls so this movie might bother me for a bit, but like I saw I don't watch roth's movie more than once.

I actually think he's a good actor. he killed it in INglorous Bastards.

I think Eli goes for shock value.

When I visited Vegas to see GNR, Eli Roth had a horror whatever called Eli roth's Goretorium. My kids and I went before the concert. It was about $40 each. We also bought t-shirts. Anyway, the place closed not even a year later.

Since seeing so many many shows regarding how special effects are made, there was really nothing new we hadn't seen. It was dark you went to different levels. Mostly people dressed up were yelling in your face so you really didn't get a good look at all the gore and horror around you. Plus we just laughed our way through it. The one guy in the beginning tells you this fictious story about it being on top of a mental hospital and how many inmates escaped and are still there. Anyway, like I said you were chased and yelled out the whole time you really couldn't enjoy seeing the shit around you. I wasn't surprised that it closed soon after. DJ Ashba did the music for this place too, although I couldn't tell you even hearing music because of all the yelling. lol

I personally hate movies about cannalbuls so this movie might bother me for a bit, but like I saw I don't watch roth's movie more than once.

I actually think he's a good actor. he killed it in INglorous Bastards.

Like I said earlier in this thread, this looks like a straight ripoff of Ruggerio Deodato's Cannibal Holocaust. This will not be shocking the way that is - that's one of the most shocking films ever. It's banned in many countries because they actually killed 6 animals onscreen in the film, and he even spent some time in prison because he couldn't prove one of the actresses herself wasn't killed for the film, the death scenes are that gruesome.

This probably won't be anything other than a neutered version of Cannibal Holocaust - some of the shots in the trailer are exact reshoots of shots in Cannibal Holocaust.

she hated the ending?

so nothing new, all of the main characters die

Actually no. My daughter described every little detail. Glad I didn't see it. Cannibalism is one thing that freaks me out and from the way it was told to me, there were some very gruesome parts. If this movie was supposed to make people want to save the rain forest, they are going to think twice about it. lol

Don't think I've seen any of this guy's movies, all I know about him is he hired #demented to do the score to one of his projects so that's not a very good indicator.

I liked Hostel and Hostel 2, but like I said can't watch Eli's movies more than the one time. Too many gory scenes and hopelessness and I hate that. And some of the characters are likeable and I hate that they have to suffer endless torture and then die. hated that he killed the first guy in HOstel 2.

• 4 weeks later...

I went to see last friday as part of the Ghent filmfestival. I wouldn't call myself a fan of the cannibal genre, but I've seen most of the Italian cult movies out of interest and to see how far they took the exploitation and gore. I found Green Inferno an ok tribute in that regard and it definitely had more character development and social commentary than I was expecting. Overall pretty enjoyable, but I get that there are people who can't watch these type of movies; the showing I went to had a least a third of the audience walking out after the first act. The makeup and gore effects are done by Gregory Nicotero and Howard Berger, so horror buffs know you're in for a treat.

BTW, Manuel Riveiro was the composer, I think Ashba only did the end titles track but I could be wrong on that.

Edited by Bumblefeet

Wow I didn't know the guy from The Walking Dead did the makeup. That was cool. He's excellent.

the special effects were probably good, but as for the ending, my daughter wanted the bad guy to be killed, but I said maybe Eli left it open to do a sequel?

Either way when she described in detail the killings I knew I was right in not going. ha ha

Wow I didn't know the guy from The Walking Dead did the makeup. That was cool. He's excellent.

the special effects were probably good, but as for the ending, my daughter wanted the bad guy to be killed, but I said maybe Eli left it open to do a sequel?

Either way when she described in detail the killings I knew I was right in not going. ha ha

It definitely looked like they kept it open for a sequel, the ending was a bit contrived. If you can stomach the gore and (sexual abuse), there's actually some funny scenes in it.

If you want to see a more classy horror movie also putting a group of horny 'tourist' teens in a jungle torture setting I recommend "The Ruins" (2008), that had a neat premise.