UnHappy 35th Death-day Mr John Lennon, sorely missed!

Len Cnut

I remember turning on my radio and hearing the djs talking about John Lennon being shot and killed. He was my favorite Beatle and I felt like someone took a huge part of my childhood away.

It was shocking and so damn sad. I can't believe it's 35 years. I was living in New York at the time and I remember the whole city was numb. I just cried for days.

This is also the anniversary of the death of Dime Bag Dallas from Pantera. Another senseless crime.

The end of December marks the 6th anniversary of the death of The Rev from A7X. December is a lousy month for losing rock stars.

Darby Crash from The Germs too. I'm suprised you'd like John Lennon, supporter of The Black Panther Party as he was.

Liking someone doesn't mean you have to agree with everything they say and do. Lennon was a genius when it came to writing music and he tried to live his life peacefully. Sometimes it seems when people try to turn their life around something bad happens and it sucks. I loved John's voice and loved how funny he was in the Beatles movies. I would say he was the first crush I had.

I remember turning on my radio and hearing the djs talking about John Lennon being shot and killed. He was my favorite Beatle and I felt like someone took a huge part of my childhood away.

It was shocking and so damn sad. I can't believe it's 35 years. I was living in New York at the time and I remember the whole city was numb. I just cried for days.

This is also the anniversary of the death of Dime Bag Dallas from Pantera. Another senseless crime.

The end of December marks the 6th anniversary of the death of The Rev from A7X. December is a lousy month for losing rock stars.

Darby Crash from The Germs too. I'm suprised you'd like John Lennon, supporter of The Black Panther Party as he was.

Liking someone doesn't mean you have to agree with everything they say and do. Lennon was a genius when it came to writing music and he tried to live his life peacefully. Sometimes it seems when people try to turn their life around something bad happens and it sucks. I loved John's voice and loved how funny he was in the Beatles movies. I would say he was the first crush I had.

You know what The Black Panthers believed in right? And the support he gave, explicit support, on national TV, to their ten point program? Weren't necessarily to do with peace.

Lennon also sat in a hotel bed with his wife before the world's media proclaiming 'world peace', as well as getting his dick out on an excruciatingly painful LP of avant garde farts and noises (there were two more installments just for our listening pleasure!); he also sent (drum role) acorns to world leaders (as you do?), and insisted on placing his wife in the middle of Beatles' recording sessions where she continued to sit for the duration of the White Album/Let It Be/Abbey Rd sessions like a spare part, much to the annoyance of the other three Beatles. Basically there was a period from about 1968-1972ish where John Lennon completely lost his marbles, lending his name to just about any fruit loop fringe cause going and doing all sorts of stupid stuff. As Jagger said, upon hearing John had decided to go to India to indulge in mysticism: ''I'm surprised at John - he seemed such a sensible lad''.

If you allowed this stupidity to interfere with your listening pleasure, you would never listen to John Lennon again!

Luckily, normality returned thanks to a sustained period of boozing alongside Moon the Loon, Ringo et al., and some shenanigans with a Chinese-American tart. The solo career went tits up though.

Edited by DieselDaisy

I think Axl Rose needs a slap for writing that song.

Why? I think it's a beautiful tribute. "You took our innocence, behind our stares, sometimes the only thing we counted on when no one else was there."

Love those lyrics.

Cuz it's a cheap subject to write a song about. It's like writing a song about JFK or Marilyn Munroe, thats what he's been doing for 15 years making Chi Dem, proper sign of a man in an ivory tower. And it's a shit song to boot. Something stinks about it, a fat ginger bloke who never knew John Lennon writing a load of fuckin' bollocks for his own profit, it's a fuckin' Elton John move. I'm not sure i like what the songs getting at either.

I went to Strawberry Fields on Dec 8th. Was very emotional day

:rolleyes:

Edited by Len B'stard

Why? I think it's a beautiful tribute. "You took our innocence, behind our stares, sometimes the only thing we counted on when no one else was there."

Love those lyrics.

Cuz it's a cheap subject to write a song about. It's like writing a song about JFK or Marilyn Munroe, thats what he's been doing for 15 years making Chi Dem, proper sign of a man in an ivory tower. And it's a shit song to boot. Something stinks about it, a fat ginger bloke who never knew John Lennon writing a load of fuckin' bollocks for his own profit, it's a fuckin' Elton John move. I'm not sure i like what the songs getting at either.

Think what you will about the song, but it's not a cheap subject at all. That's horseshit bro. The artist writes what he/she feel strongly about.

Edited by Rovim

Love those lyrics.

Think what you will about the song, but it's not a cheap subject at all. That's horseshit bro. The artist writes what he/she feel strongly about.

Oh of COURSE he does! Strong feelings, hmm, yeah...strong feelings and compassion and uh...record sales, maybe?

'This little piece here is about John Lennon, a man really close to my heart...so i thought I'd write a song dissecting how he got gunned down in the street to make a few quid over it'.

You can't sit there and second guess another person sincerity. Artists do not necessarily write about what he/she feels strongly about, artists write songs that sound good and they can sometimes be about nothing at all. Its the most lame cheap cod-intellectual bollocks I've ever heard coming out of Guns n Roses.

It is absolutely a cheap subject, it's second-hand grief tourism. It's not like it's Johnny Thunders writing about Sid Vicious where he actually knew the guy and might've been responsible for kickstarting the addiction that ruined his life. It's as much to do with Axl Rose as Norma Jean was to do with Elton John. Yes he's an 'artist' and he has the right to write about what he likes but it's cheap and tacky and the lyrics are bollocks. It's like writing a song about James Dean or something, it's lame.

What a GREAT artist Axl Rose is, he's got so much to say hasn't he? So much insight. And named after the book the twat that killed him was inspired by, well done Axl, very heartfelt, very tactful.

Edited by Len B'stard

Love those lyrics.

Oh of COURSE he does! Strong feelings, hmm, yeah...strong feelings and compassion and uh...record sales, maybe?

'This little piece here is about John Lennon, a man really close to my heart...so i thought I'd write a song dissecting how he got gunned down in the street to make a few quid over it'.

You can't sit there and second guess another person sincerity. Artists do not necessarily write about what he/she feels strongly about, artists write songs that sound good and they can sometimes be about nothing at all. Its the most lame cheap cod-intellectual bollocks I've ever heard coming out of Guns n Roses.

It is absolutely a cheap subject, it's second-hand grief tourism. It's not like it's Johnny Thunders writing about Sid Vicious where he actually knew the guy and might've been responsible for kickstarting the addiction that ruined his life. It's as much to do with Axl Rose as Norma Jean was to do with Elton John. Yes he's an 'artist' and he has the right to write about what he likes but it's cheap and tacky and the lyrics are bollocks. It's like writing a song about James Dean or something, it's lame.

What a GREAT artist Axl Rose is, he's got so much to say hasn't he? So much insight. And named after the book the twat that killed him was inspired by, well done Axl, very heartfelt, very tactful.

You're limited in your view on this specific subject imo. I get what you're saying, but I think you're way off. Interesting post though.

Love those lyrics.

You're limited in your view on this specific subject imo. I get what you're saying, but I think you're way off. Interesting post though.

I'm the fangirl queen :lol:

HE'S MY BOYFRIEND, NOT YOURS! :lol:

• Like 1

Love those lyrics.

Len, you know I love ya man, but you don't half talk some bollocks sometimes. Why can't Axl Rose write a song about John's death just because he didn't know him personally? What kind of bullshit logic is that? You start numerous threads and tributes to the man on this very board on a regular basis. Are they vapid and lacking in sincerity because you didn't know him?

I actually think CITR is a beautiful tribute and that third outro verse is one of the best minutes of music on any GNR song imo. I love the melancholic mood of the song and find the lyrics to be really poignant.

Edited by Towelie

Love those lyrics.

Len, you know I love ya man, but you don't half talk some bollocks sometimes. Why can't Axl Rose write a song about John's death just because he didn't know him personally? What kind of bullshit logic is that? You start numerous threads and tributes to the man on this very board on a regular basis. Are they vapid and lacking in sincerity because you didn't know him?

I actually think CITR is a beautiful tribute and that third outro verse is one of the best minutes of music on any GNR song imo. I love the melancholic mood of the song and find the lyrics to be really poignant.

I didn't say it was shite cuz he didn't know him i said it's lame and it's cheap and it's unimaginative. Seriously, this bellend was in his ivory tower for 15 years and the best thing he could think of to write a song about in ALL that time, all that time of 'ohmigod, what genius is Axl cooking up?!?' and he goes and does a 'Goodbye Norma Jean' on us. The Catcher in the Rye my fuckin' arse.

Is it even a tribute? What do you think it's about, what do you think it means? It appears to me to be about that fat shit that done John as much as it is a tribute and my feeling is the only time that cunt should be written about is on his tombstone.

I didn't say it was shite cuz he didn't know him i said it's lame and it's cheap and it's unimaginative. Seriously, this bellend was in his ivory tower for 15 years and the best thing he could think of to write a song about in ALL that time, all that time of 'ohmigod, what genius is Axl cooking up?!?' and he goes and does a 'Goodbye Norma Jean' on us. The Catcher in the Rye my fuckin' arse.

Is it even a tribute? What do you think it's about, what do you think it means? It appears to me to be about that fat shit that done John as much as it is a tribute and my feeling is the only time that cunt should be written about is on his tombstone.

Well, I always interpreted it to be about Axl's feelings towards Chapman and referring to John's death as the loss of a cultural movement. "You took our innocence behind our stares" being about Chapman's senseless assassination of John and what he meant to a generation of people, "sometimes the only thing we counted on when no-one else was there" referring to the music and how it was always "there" for us etc.

The lyrics refer to a song that he can't play anymore but was once a source of comfort etc ("all at once the song I heard, no longer would it play, for anybody or anyone, that needed comfort... "). I can totally relate to that. Being the big MJ fangirl that I am, I used to get so much enjoyment from listening to his music, but following his death, there were certain songs or eras (particularly the early Jackson 5 stuff) that I just couldn't listen to anymore. I think Catcher In The Rye is about feeling robbed of enjoying John's art by that fat dickhead ("what used to be's not there for me").

But as with any song that has fairly abstract lyrics, its completely open to interpretation.

Edited by Towelie

Like Yoko said, dont give the cunt an airing, he wanted to be famous so dont let him have it, bury him under a urinal somewhere.

I still think it's a beautiful sentiment, almost referring to music as a friend we had a relationship with, but one that is now tainted.

Of course I could be talking a load of bollocks myself. But I like to think I know what I'm talking about.