Pitman shouldn't be there, I said it.

sonofnazareth

I've always been on anti-Pitman streak, much more previously than since his name has been coming up in the reunion (I think the reason I joined this forum was to talk about the validity of his contributions to the band in a live setting).

To me, Pitman is the epitome of wasted space in a live setting and he looks and sounds like a complete tool whenever he is there. Stupid floppy keyboards, towel waving, and when he is audible, shitty synths that completely ruin the song. GNR is a rock band, not some sort of weird hybrid electronica thing that Axl thought the band would evolve to when he hired Pitman in '98. Chris is just an example of someone who has kept their mouth shut and has been rewarded with being on a hefty payroll.

Honestly, how many popular bands have consistently utilized two keyboardists in their live setting? There's barely any. All I can think of is Chuck Leavell during his run with the Allman Brothers, but the only reason he was there was to fill in for Duane Allman. I saw the Alabama Shakes have two keyboardists live and I couldn't really discern the difference between one or the other.

Really, anything that Chris can do, Dizzy can also easily do. I've still been waiting for someone to prove me wrong on why Chris is essential in the live setting. The closest I got was playing a Spanish guitar for ITW. But honestly, who the hell cares about that?

Just lock him up in the vault with Tobias and relegate him to a studio role for a sequel album that will never see the light of day.

• Like 2

Karri, you obviously new here if you quote the forum rules :lol:

A lot changes since 2004...

Plus this is the CW section: you can talk shit about the members here freely!

I'm indeed far from new here. I lurk here all the time.

But so, let me get this straight - according to the forum, you cannot talk shit about other board members, but you definitely can throw as much as shit as you wish on any of the band members?

Okay, makes perfect sense.

Well it is a Guns N' Roses forum, so talking shit is just part of what comes in a free wheeling discussion. Have you tried Heretodaygonetohell? Maybe that's more your speed.

Edited by cooker

C'mon guys, you're all being completely unfair here. Pitman is essential to GnR. You can bitch and complain all you want but in the end... can YOU:

- Play the floppy keyboards;

- Sing horrible backing vocals that people actively wish weren't there;

- Spend 80% of the show playing the tambourine;

- Add synth to Mr.Brownstone and think it's ok;

- Do a fucking towel solo;

- Play using a freaking handkerchief on your face?

Nope. So shut the fuck up, please.

The more reasons people bring up, the less happy I am he's in. And what makes it worse is that you're joking, but providing legitimate reasons he has no reason to be on that stage, so real that it actually pains me you're listing those jokingly and there's no way he isn't a part of this gig. Like, it would be better if we just accept he's part of it, and not say anything, cause the more we joke or give critical reason as to why he shouldn't, it actually makes things worse because he's not going anywhere.

• Like 2

Agreed 100%, OP. Pitman shouldn't be there. He's an useless asset and a terrible, mediocre, untalented "musician."

That said, I think he will be there. Not sure why Slash and Duff agreed to that but whatever.

Axl used Pitman's work. One of his songs made it to Chinese, his synth parts are a part of the live shows. He's responsible for a part of what Axl has created, as small and shitty as some people may think it is.

And how is he not talented? he is a multi instrumentalist and his Catcher demo synth parts alone proves he can create cool soundscapes and If The World was a great song for Axl to stretch his vocal muscles on. Bucket's solo on the song is great as well. We wouldn't have that if it wasn't for Pitman indirectly.

If I had to guess I'd say Slash and Duff agreed to it cause they really want back in Guns while it's still a possibility. There's no time to waste or chances really. They have to compromise cause it's Axl.

But it's a sacrifice for Slash imo. There is no way he wants a guy like Pitman in the band. But at least he has Fortus, a guy he wanted to create music with according to Richard. So it's not all bad for Slash and Duff. I think Pitman's role could be even smaller. They can find a way to make it work, but Slash and Pitman in the same band is really weird.

Karri, you obviously new here if you quote the forum rules :lol:

A lot changes since 2004...

Plus this is the CW section: you can talk shit about the members here freely!

I'm indeed far from new here. I lurk here all the time.

But so, let me get this straight - according to the forum, you cannot talk shit about other board members, but you definitely can throw as much as shit as you wish on any of the band members?

Okay, makes perfect sense.

Well it is a Guns N' Roses forum, so talking shit is just part of what comes in a free wheeling discussion. Have you tried Heretodaygonetohell? Maybe that's more your speed.

Sure, because if I want a civil and normal friendly discussion about my favorite band, I also must like North Korea!

You know perfectly well what I meant and therefore your suggestion is just provocation.

You must realize that most of us are kidding around, we like to crack jokes as much as Axl. Keep in mind this is also what this section is for.

Edited by cooker