Who´s more iconic at this time?

ralebava

Axl is not a joke Axl is Rock Superatar He changes his image often to iconic looks: braids handlebar mustache etc.

Slash is more of the Joke today because he has the Same hat the same hair he is like bugs bunny or mickey mouse and can't write any good guitar parts without the genius axl rose to guide him.

Axl is number Rockstar in the world of all time.

According to the rest of the world, he isn't. In fact, he's just the opposite of what you just said. It is cool that you consider him the best ever but he isn't the best ever. I do think he could have been one of the greatest but he lost that desire years and years ago.

Axl is a joke AND a legend at the same time. Howard Hughes was the same way and so was Michael Jackson. The two characteristics can co-exist believe it or not. No matter what he did over the last 20 years to ruin his reputation and image, it doesn't take away what he was in his prime and that was arguably the greatest frontman who ever existed.

I truly doubt that. Axl was one of the greatest singers of all time, that I can agree with. His voice and stage presence were unique to my ears and eyes. I still get goosebumps whenever I play Live Era or some 1993 bootlegs, but after REAL Gn'R broke up he became a fat joke, and he has continuously been a joke ever since. Yeah, we have had some good years (2006-2007 and 2010) but that doesn't mean that in terms of music history, he has been nothing but a failure.

It's just too bad and unfair that he had the talent, as we have seen that talent but he lost the will of being out there doing what no other people can do - being a legend.

Nothing but a failure? Seriously? Given how crazy the bastard is, the world is lucky we got stuff like Appetite, Lies, and UYI out of him (not to mention all the live shows of that period). I hate to break it to you, but nothing he has done in the last 20 years has any impact on the music created by old GN'R. It has stood the test of time and it will continue to stand the test of time. He is a big part of that music, so you can't say he is a failure.

It's similar to Michael Jackson. No matter how weird and fucked up Michael's life was in the 1990's and 2000's, the stuff he did in the 1980's will always be a big deal and he is a legend because of that. And by the way, being accused of child rape is a lot worse than disappearing into your mansion and occasionally touring with a bunch of replacement musicians under your old band's name.

Even if you include Axl's supposedly "failed career" of the last 20 years, he is richer by a long shot than any other rock musician from the Los Angeles music scene of the 1970's and 1980's, including Slash and any of the guys from Van Halen or Motley Crue. All of them have put out a lot more music than he has over the last 30 years, but GN'R was just that much bigger at its peak and Axl was smart enough to get the GN'R name rights from Slash and Duff which has been very profitable for him even if it helped ruin his image. From a strictly business standpoint, he is about as far from failure as it gets.

Edited by GNRfan2008

Axl is not a joke Axl is Rock Superatar He changes his image often to iconic looks: braids handlebar mustache etc.

Slash is more of the Joke today because he has the Same hat the same hair he is like bugs bunny or mickey mouse and can't write any good guitar parts without the genius axl rose to guide him.

Slash has written many amazing guitar parts over the past 20 years. How many albums has he made? Velvet Revolver won a Grammy for Slither, and Contraband is far and away better than Chinese Democracy. It ain't even close between those two albums. Hell, Duff has done more, and better, than Axl, IMO, over the past 20 years.......Velvet Revolver, solo projects, financial adviser and columnist, etc. Not to mention Slash and Duff are two of the coolest dudes in Rock N Roll.

Edited by BadApples87

Slash has written many amazing guitar parts over the past 20 years. How many albums has he made? Velvet Revolver won a Grammy for Slither, and Contraband is far and away better than Chinese Democracy. It ain't even close between those two albums. Hell, Duff has done more, and better, than Axl, IMO, over the past 20 years.......Velvet Revolver, solo projects, financial adviser and columnist, etc. Not to mention Slash and Duff are two of the coolest dudes in Rock N Roll.

And yet at the end of the day, no one will remember any of that work 50 years from now. Their legacy will always be GN'R 1985-1993 just like Axl. They haven't done anything to hurt their image over the last 20 years like Axl did by getting fat, showing up late, and taking so long to put out an album it became a big joke, but none of the music they've put out stands up to the old GN'R stuff.

Honestly I don't think Contraband is "far and away better" than CD. Neither of those records are perfect and they both have some good songs...one thing they definitely share is that they won't be remembered in a good way 50 years from now whereas stuff like Appetite, Lies, and UYI will be remembered fondly. Classic GN'R was one of the best rock bands that ever existed. Velvet Revolver and nu-GN'R simply aren't in that category. Just the hard truth.

Edited by GNRfan2008

And yet at the end of the day, no one will remember any of that work 50 years from now. Their legacy will always be GN'R 1985-1993 just like Axl. They haven't done anything to hurt their image over the last 20 years like Axl did by getting fat, showing up late, and taking so long to put out an album it became a big joke, but none of the music they've put out stands up to the old GN'R stuff.

Honestly I don't think Contraband is "far and away better" than CD. Neither of those records are perfect and they both have some good songs...one thing they definitely share is that they won't be remembered in a good way 50 years from now whereas stuff like Appetite, Lies, and UYI will be remembered fondly. Classic GN'R was one of the best rock bands that ever existed. Velvet Revolver and nu-GN'R simply aren't in that category. Just the hard truth.

I will agree that GNR 85-93 is far better than anything else. That is true. But I will hold true that IMO Slash and Duff have done much better than Axl, since 1993.

I will agree that GNR 85-93 is far better than anything else. That is true. But I will hold true that IMO Slash and Duff have done much better than Axl, since 1993.

Financially they have not. He's basically done jack shit in terms of putting out new music but his net worth is around 5 times bigger (or more) than those guys. From a business standpoint he was very smart to get the GN'R name from them and he has cashed in on it big time. That shit turned him into a villain of course, but then again he was kind of a villain anyway with all the ridiculous antics back in the day (showing up late, starting riots, feuding with other industry people, etc).

Financially they have not. He's basically done jack shit in terms of putting out new music but his net worth is around 5 times bigger (or more) than those guys. From a business standpoint he was very smart to get the GN'R name from them and he has cashed in on it big time. That shit turned him into a villain of course, but then again he was kind of a villain anyway with all the ridiculous antics back in the day (showing up late, starting riots, feuding with other industry people, etc).

They are all living well with their relative income. Although it is true that Axl has cashed in with the GNR name. But as far as who is more iconic at this point, I still go with the man in the top hat.

They are all living well with their relative income. Although it is true that Axl has cashed in with the GNR name. But as far as who is more iconic at this point, I still go with the man in the top hat.

Oh no doubt about that. Slash has done a good job of keeping himself in the public eye over the last 20 years (whereas Axl would disappear for huge chunks of time) and Slash has kept himself in good enough physical shape (hair is an important part of this too) that he can still pull off the classic 80's and early 90's look. He hasn't changed much in that regard and that helps. It also helps that he seems to be a very down to earth guy.

• Like 1

There is absolutely no question about it. Slash is far and away more iconic. EVERYONE knows who he is. Not everyone know who Axl is anymore. Far from it.

This is most likely true, I think.

'Iconic' can mean different things. The way most of us are using it in this thread, is simply something like "Widely known. Highly respected and admired". But an additional meaning is that it refers to something that is the perfect example of something, because it is SO like that 'thing'. And so, I think Slash would be the choice here. If you say to someone: "What is a guitar rock god?" or "Who is a famous guitar player?", Slash in his top hat probably pops into the minds of most people.

To me, a term more fitting to Axl, would be 'legendary', because there's a sort of whole mythology about him. Not everyone may know who he is anymore, but most people who are even moderately into music, probably do. They likely have heard some of the stories about this or that, or how he's a huge dick, or that he's actually really misunderstood, or stories about the making of ChiDem and how long that took, etc.

• Like 1

One thing I think we could all agree on: Axl and Slash are like Mick and Keith, Steven and Joe, Plant and Page. They are at their very best, or were at their peak, when they were together.

They were. Axl kind of shot that to hell by letting himself go. Jagger and Tyler stayed in great shape.

axl replaced slash and was a success, slash cannot replace axl because axl is irreplaceable so to the left to the left slash

Log off the internet. Go outside. Get some fresh air. Make some friends in real life and for the love of God lay off the fucking crack.

Axlisnotjoke.jpg

Wait a minute. Who is it, that's like Mickey Mouse?

The arguments some people use here lol, of course slash is more of an icon these days it's obvious but that is Because of the choices both of them made in the past 20 years, would it be the other way around, then axl might have been more iconic simple as that. Slash was the face of guitar hero 3 to begin with now what kid didn't play guitarhero? Sure Axl is widely known and a lot of people know he has a very unique voice and stuff but he is more infamous than famous i guess

Edited by GNRmello77

Axl is a joke AND a legend at the same time. Howard Hughes was the same way and so was Michael Jackson. The two characteristics can co-exist believe it or not. No matter what he did over the last 20 years to ruin his reputation and image, it doesn't take away what he was in his prime and that was arguably the greatest frontman who ever existed.

I truly doubt that. Axl was one of the greatest singers of all time, that I can agree with. His voice and stage presence were unique to my ears and eyes. I still get goosebumps whenever I play Live Era or some 1993 bootlegs, but after REAL Gn'R broke up he became a fat joke, and he has continuously been a joke ever since. Yeah, we have had some good years (2006-2007 and 2010) but that doesn't mean that in terms of music history, he has been nothing but a failure.

It's just too bad and unfair that he had the talent, as we have seen that talent but he lost the will of being out there doing what no other people can do - being a legend.

Nothing but a failure? Seriously? Given how crazy the bastard is, the world is lucky we got stuff like Appetite, Lies, and UYI out of him (not to mention all the live shows of that period). I hate to break it to you, but nothing he has done in the last 20 years has any impact on the music created by old GN'R. It has stood the test of time and it will continue to stand the test of time. He is a big part of that music, so you can't say he is a failure.

It's similar to Michael Jackson. No matter how weird and fucked up Michael's life was in the 1990's and 2000's, the stuff he did in the 1980's will always be a big deal and he is a legend because of that. And by the way, being accused of child rape is a lot worse than disappearing into your mansion and occasionally touring with a bunch of replacement musicians under your old band's name.

That's the thing, though, you're talking about Guns N' Roses in your post, when we're discussing Axl Rose. Axl Rose isn't Guns N' Roses and certainly, wasn't GN'R when AFD, Lies and UYI came out. :) Slash was also part of those albums and even if he has done some embarrassing stuff over the years, he's not a joke in the eyes of the media or the people, but Axl is.

Axl is a fat, sad failure and has been for quite some time. It doesn't matter what you consider him to be. This thread is about "who's more iconic" and it's a question that needs to be answered with how the world sees it, rather than with your little, tiny fan opinion, get it? That's how it works.

It isn't like Michael Jackson because Michael Jackson never stopped being the legend he was, whenever he had to put a performance on, the crowds would go silent. His personal life, whatever was going on with him as a person, had zero impact on his music. Axl is a fat, sad joke because he destroyed everything he created, the image he had, and it was all connected to him as a musician, as a lyricist and as the lead singer of Guns N' Roses. That's a big difference. Axl is a confirmed women beater and disgrace of a person who beat up and humiliated women during his relationships, does anybody judge him as a musician for that? No. :)

I personally think that the thought of comparing a legend like Michael Jackson to a sad, joke and failure like Axl Rose should be sacrilegious, but that's just me.

Even if you include Axl's supposedly "failed career" of the last 20 years, he is richer by a long shot than any other rock musician from the Los Angeles music scene of the 1970's and 1980's, including Slash and any of the guys from Van Halen or Motley Crue. All of them have put out a lot more music than he has over the last 30 years, but GN'R was just that much bigger at its peak and Axl was smart enough to get the GN'R name rights from Slash and Duff which has been very profitable for him even if it helped ruin his image. From a strictly business standpoint, he is about as far from failure as it gets.

And this is where you start being a blind fanatic rather than a normal poster. Who's discussing who's got more money? Or who is far richer? This is about who's more iconic. :facepalm:

That's the thing, though, you're talking about Guns N' Roses in your post, when we're discussing Axl Rose. Axl Rose isn't Guns N' Roses and certainly, wasn't GN'R when AFD, Lies and UYI came out. :) Slash was also part of those albums and even if he has done some embarrassing stuff over the years, he's not a joke in the eyes of the media or the people, but Axl is.

Axl is a fat, sad failure and has been for quite some time. It doesn't matter what you consider him to be. This thread is about "who's more iconic" and it's a question that needs to be answered with how the world sees it, rather than with your little, tiny fan opinion, get it? That's how it works.

It isn't like Michael Jackson because Michael Jackson never stopped being the legend he was, whenever he had to put a performance on, the crowds would go silent. His personal life, whatever was going on with him as a person, had zero impact on his music. Axl is a fat, sad joke because he destroyed everything he created, the image he had, and it was all connected to him as a musician, as a lyricist and as the lead singer of Guns N' Roses. That's a big difference. Axl is a confirmed women beater and disgrace of a person who beat up and humiliated women during his relationships, does anybody judge him as a musician for that? No. :)

I personally think that the thought of comparing a legend like Michael Jackson to a sad, joke and failure like Axl Rose should be sacrilegious, but that's just me.

And this is where you start being a blind fanatic rather than a normal poster. Who's discussing who's got more money? Or who is far richer? This is about who's more iconic. :facepalm:

I am no Axl fanatic at all. You called Axl a total failure and that is why I brought up the money issue. A total failure doesn't end up that rich while starting as a street rat. I already said Slash is definitely more iconic. I've repeatedly criticized Axl for the stupid stuff he has done throughout his career, whether it's showing up late, the Mickey Mouse voice, letting himself go physically, the bizarre clothing decisions, etc. I figure this reunion thing is going to implode if he continues to show up unprepared like he has over the last 10 years. The guy is not perfect, but he is not the total failure you seem to think he is.

Maybe you should take off the glasses. I am very aware of the other members contributions. My point is you cannot take away from Axl the contributions he made, which you seem to want to pretend never happened. He was the perfect frontman for GN'R in that time and no matter what he has done since, you cannot describe his career overall as a failure.

I've said it before, the guy is crazy enough that he probably never should have been a professional musician in the first place. The point about the money is pretty impressive given where he came from and his state of mind (crazy as hell). The guy probably should have ended up in jail, dead, or a mental institution long before GN'R got off the ground. And make no mistake, GN'R would not have been as successful without him. That's a fact no matter how much you want to pretend he had nothing to do with the band's success.

Edited by GNRfan2008

I am no Axl fanatic at all. I already said Slash is definitely more iconic. I've repeatedly criticized Axl for the stupid stuff he has done throughout his career, whether it's showing up late, the Mickey Mouse voice, letting himself go physically, the bizarre clothing decisions, etc. I figure this reunion thing is going to implode if he continues to show up unprepared like he has over the last 10 years. The guy is not perfect, but he is not the total failure you seem to think he is.

Maybe you should take off the glasses. I am very aware of the other members contributions. My point is you cannot take away from Axl the contributions he made, which you seem to want to pretend never happened. He was the perfect frontman for GN'R in that time and no matter what he has done since, you cannot describe his career overall as a failure. I've said it before, the guy is crazy enough that he probably never should have been a professional musician in the first place. The fact he actually managed to become that wealthy is pretty impressive given where he came from and his state of mind (crazy as hell).

I don't think anyone here can disagree with this.

They both are caricature's

2733F2DA00000578-0-image-a-21_1427916973

Slash+Bridgestone+Super+Bowl+XLV+Halftim

Both far removed from their former image. Granted Slash is much more productive, doesn't make him any less creditworthy at times.

Maybe Slash got some of that Fergie action after the Perla split.

Are you speculating that he is the father of baby Axl?

:wow: