Inquiring Minds

Pishy

46 minutes ago, soon said:

I appreciate this info, thanks.  But I am actually talking about cuts in throat.  Throat tissue often heals rather quickly, but because of where the tiny gashes are, things like eating or coughing seem to undo the healing.  Like it almost heals and then I sneeze and it slightly sets the healing back,  and its just a cycle that never quite gets back to 100%.

Good Lord. How the heck did you do that??  Try spoonfuls of raw unpasteurized honey.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Whiskey Rose said:

Good Lord. How the heck did you do that??  Try spoonfuls of raw unpasteurized honey.

A dutch oven cracked when I was cooking and I thought it was a clean break so I ate the food, but I guess a few slivers from the ceramic lining were in it.  They lodged and then moved a few cm.  Most of that is healed, except the last point that they stuck, deepest in throat.   Thanks for the suggestion.  Thats an easy medicine to go down!  Ill do that.

5 minutes ago, soon said:

A dutch oven cracked when I was cooking and I thought it was a clean break so I ate the food, but I guess a few slivers from the ceramic lining were in it.  They lodged and then moved a few cm.  Most of that is healed, except the last point that they stuck, deepest in throat.   Thanks for the suggestion.  Thats an easy medicine to go down!  Ill do that.

Ouch.  Well, if it doesn't go away, you should make sure it's not infected.  The infection could even be inside the throat tissue.  Might want to get it checked out by a doctor. 

56 minutes ago, soon said:

That is scary . Mobsters killed people with crushed glass in the food! 

The cuts must be deep. I think @Kasanova King is right, a dr is in order . Maybe a tincture that coats thickly can be ordered at the pharmacy plus rule out infection, there may be more damage than you realize. Not to worry you but you can get in front of it. Go to the dr!

Edited by Pishy

1 hour ago, Kasanova King said:

Ouch.  Well, if it doesn't go away, you should make sure it's not infected.  The infection could even be inside the throat tissue.  Might want to get it checked out by a doctor. 

16 minutes ago, Pishy said:

That is scary . Mobsters killed people with crushed glass in the food! 

The cuts must be deep. I think @Kasanova King is right, a dr is in order . Maybe a tincture that coats thickly can be ordered at the pharmacy plus rule out infection, there may be more damage than you realize. Not to worry you but you can get in front of it. Go to the dr!

Good points all around.  I have been to the dr.  Problem is that my dr is an idiot and wasnt concerned by this.  I might have to advocate if it gets worse with any symptoms of infection though, thats true.  I have been keeping it clean with salt water, and sage so hoping thats preventing anything.  Of course its rather uncomfortable to gargle and the sage tincture is astringent which hurts, so I probably shy away from a paper routine, so thanks to you both for redirecting my attention about infection.

Pishy, your point about a coating tincture made me think of slippery elm, which coats and has healing properties.  I have some dried in my apothecary and while I wait on a tincture to steep, maybe Ill brew some tea into the spoon full of honey?

Edited by soon

2 hours ago, soon said:

Good points all around.  I have been to the dr.  Problem is that my dr is an idiot and wasnt concerned by this.  I might have to advocate if it gets worse with any symptoms of infection though, thats true.

In all seriousness you probably should have gone straight to A&E when it happened. How long ago did it happen btw? And have the shards cleared the wound or are they still lodged there? If the foreign body has been removed then wouldn't worry too much about infection as the natural mucosal lining should do a good job at defending against it.

I had a similar injury when I was 13. It will take time to heal and I don't know if anything will actually speed up the process (although if the remedy makes you feel better about it then, why not?). In the mean time I would suggest take anti-inflammatories and stick to soft, easy to swallow food. :shrugs:

Edited by KiraMPD

23 minutes ago, KiraMPD said:

In all seriousness you probably should have gone straight to A&E when it happened. How long ago did it happen btw? And have the cleared the wound or are they still lodged there? If the foreign body has been removed then wouldn't worry too much about infection as the natural mucosal lining should do a good job at defending against it.

I had a similar injury when I was 13. It will take time to heal and I don't know if anything will actually speed up the process (although if the remedy makes you feel better about it then, why not?). In the mean time I would suggest take anti-inflammatories and stick to soft, easy to swallow food. :shrugs:

I think it was mid summer-ish.  I maybe should have.  The shards were out with in an hour of it happening and didnt cause any further issues as they proceeded. 

Thanks for sharing about your experience and your suggestions.  I know it was when you were a kid, but do you remember how long it took to heal?  Yeah, Im on soft foods.  I was calling them purees for a while, but now its just "gruel!"  But somedays I can have soft foods that still have some body at least.

@soon mid summer?! That's a long time. Can you go back to the dr? I know they often don't have much good advice but now that time has passed maybe they can look with a scope . 

Pretty amazing you hsve an apothecary but you always have good recipes for food and remedies so not surprised. Try the slippery elm . Just worrying how long it has persisted . What if some shards are deep in the tissues like kasanova said?

1 minute ago, Pishy said:

@soon mid summer?! That's a long time. Can you go back to the dr? I know they often don't have much good advice but now that time has passed maybe they can look with a scope . 

Pretty amazing you hsve an apothecary but you always have good recipes for food and remedies so not surprised. Try the slippery elm . Just worrying how long it has persisted . What if some shards are deep in the tissues like kasanova said?

Maybe late summer, I remember posting about it here, so I can check.  If anything I will go to a different dr. but thats somewhat tricky here - you have one GP and thats it.  I am very confident theres no glass there - was highly aware of each little piece in the moment and felt them dislodge - they werent that deep.  

Ha, thanks - its a modest apothecary but does take up my entire apartment basically, lol.  Its enough that I have herbs available for a different use then I grew or acquired them, like in this case.  My place does look very much like the witches layer troupe, haha!  Ill try it with the honey.  On going thanks for you concern and thoughts.

6 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

@soon Dr. Me prescribes a visit to a proper doctor.

Thanks, I did go to my proper Dr.  Id have to feign it was an emergency and go to hospital to see another DR.  Even if I do, theres good wisdom to be learned from folks about things I can do in addition to dr.

I really thought my Dr wouldve done something, like at least prescribe soemthing for swelling?  Not surprised by this form them unfortunately.

But yeah, I appreciate the suggestion.  Probably will have to go.  But I hope people will also keep the other thoughts coming.  Some good stuff so far!

Thanks for your concern!

@soon push for a referral to an ENT, it's just much too long now that you've had this problem. Hopefully you give it another go trying to get to a good dr and have success. 

I am intrigued by your witches den. There is so much to herbs and natural remedies . The vast majority of agents used to slow cancer, were all taken from plants in the amazon , people went in, stole it, created synthetic versions , and sold it for millions . Killed and destroyed part of the indigenous population in the process . Same can be said about many pharmaceuticals .

So many drugs are available naturally with far less side effects but we will never see them . Big pharma is only second to the arms industry . 

So I think anyone who puts the time and effort to explore medicine as you hsve , is quite smart and I admire it . 

4 hours ago, Whiskey Rose said:

This is a god opportunity for me to ask something Ive wondered: can creamed honey be considered "raw" in the medicinal sense.  I buy local honey that is creamed and is labeled as raw, So Im sure its not pasteurized, but is the heat created by whipping it a factor at all?

1 hour ago, soon said:

I think it was mid summer-ish.  I maybe should have.  The shards were out with in an hour of it happening and didnt cause any further issues as they proceeded. 

Thanks for sharing about your experience and your suggestions.  I know it was when you were a kid, but do you remember how long it took to heal?  Yeah, Im on soft foods.  I was calling them purees for a while, but now its just "gruel!"  But somedays I can have soft foods that still have some body at least.

Like others have said, see the doctor again. If the pain has persisted for over a month, it definitely requires proper medical attention.

In my case, the wound wasn't caused by a foreign body (like glass or ceramics). I had a bad case of bacterial/viral infection that compromised the lining of my pharynx, and a combination of coughing too hard and food (crisps) that caused lateral tearing in that area. It took about 3 weeks to heal up iirc. I still have some scarring left over from it due to which I have a constant sensation of liquid sliding down the back of my throat (like one does during a cold) and I constantly feel like I have to cough or clear my throat. But ironically, due to the pain from the tearing I basically had to train myself out of acting on the urge to cough.

36 minutes ago, Pishy said:

@soon push for a referral to an ENT, it's just much too long now that you've had this problem. Hopefully you give it another go trying to get to a good dr and have success. 

I am intrigued by your witches den. There is so much to herbs and natural remedies . The vast majority of agents used to slow cancer, were all taken from plants in the amazon , people went in, stole it, created synthetic versions , and sold it for millions . Killed and destroyed part of the indigenous population in the process . Same can be said about many pharmaceuticals .

So many drugs are available naturally with far less side effects but we will never see them . Big pharma is only second to the arms industry . 

So I think anyone who puts the time and effort to explore medicine as you hsve , is quite smart and I admire it . 

Okay, official proclamation from the desk of soon:  I will go and demand a referral to ENT.  That will take around 8 months.  In the mean time keep the other ideas coming.

You speak the truth about big pharma and the intentional pillaging of natural medicines in the rain forest.  And every day industry also makes extinct plants that we dont even know what they had to offer through clear cutting and what not. (to the Right: no, I didnt bother to give a source. Thats a freedom I choose. Google it yourself if you need to)

Haha; Ive got the modern cauldron, egg shells drying on the table, herbs hanging to dry everywhere, fermenting liquids bubbling through tubes, mortar and pestles, the broom, the knives, the apothecary, beeswax candles, blocks of beeswax for crafting salves, and a cat crawling among it all who loves herbalism too!  No frogs, eagles or snakes in jars you'll be happy to hear :) Im sure the modern witch would also have the solar panel and air purifier like me too.

Its a spectacular and gracious world we inhabit.  I feel blessed that I enjoy learning about and working with plants and other facets of Herbalism.  Thank you so much for you kind words and encouragement!  Certainly seems like you know your way around it too?!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, KiraMPD said:

Like others have said, see the doctor again. If the pain has persisted for over a month, it definitely requires proper medical attention.

In my case, the wound wasn't caused by a foreign body (like glass or ceramics). I had a bad case of bacterial/viral infection that compromised the lining of my pharynx, and a combination of coughing too hard and food (crisps) that caused lateral tearing in that area. It took about 3 weeks to heal up iirc. I still have some scarring left over from it due to which I have a constant sensation of liquid sliding down the back of my throat (like one does during a cold) and I constantly feel like I have to cough or clear my throat. But ironically, due to the pain from the tearing I basically had to train myself out of acting on the urge to cough.

Yikes, that sounds like it was quite the ordeal!  And to have to train your self to avoid coughing while you feel the need regularly.  Yeah, its been longer then 3 weeks for me for sure.  Maybe I will have to learn to live with the outcome to some degree as well.

Thanks for sharing and for your concern!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, soon said:

This is a god opportunity for me to ask something Ive wondered: can creamed honey be considered "raw" in the medicinal sense.  I buy local honey that is creamed and is labeled as raw, So Im sure its not pasteurized, but is the heat created by whipping it a factor at all?

There is some debate as to whether the process they use so that it doesn't crystallize may or may not take away some of it's medicinal properties..but if you are wanting a wound healing agent with antibacterial properties, which is what you need here, I would not take any chances, and go get a jar of the liquid raw. And just save it for medicine, and use your creamed for easy eating/spreading.

• Thanks 1

I didn't really get the question about the Dutch Oven or creamed honey.

Any,way, I like creamed honey because the kids don't make as much mess with it as with fluid honey (or whatever the more fluid honey is called). And about the Durch Oven: I don't have enough space for yet another thing in my kitchen (or balcony) so I'm not getting one of those. I'm very practical, you see. 

Just so you know. :lol:

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Whiskey Rose said:

There is some debate as to whether the process they use so that it doesn't crystallize may or may not take away some of it's medicinal properties..but if you are wanting a wound healing agent with antibacterial properties, which is what you need here, I would not take any chances, and go get a jar of the liquid raw. And just save it for medicine, and use your creamed for easy eating/spreading.

Oh, okay. Thanks.  Makes sense.  And its good to keep the bees employed by people who look out for them in this post hive-collapse world.  So to buy twice as much honey is a good thing for that too.  Thanks again!

3 hours ago, Tori72 said:

I didn't really get the question about the Dutch Oven or creamed honey.

Any,way, I like creamed honey because the kids don't make as much mess with it as with fluid honey (or whatever the more fluid honey is called). And about the Durch Oven: I don't have enough space for yet another thing in my kitchen (or balcony) so I'm not getting one of those. I'm very practical, you see. 

Just so you know. :lol:

Wait, since dutch ovens can be used on stove or in oven, wouldn't you save space by paring down two pieces of cookware into one? :) 

Edit in response to confused emoji.  Was just playfully saying that you could get rid of a sauce pan and a pyrex because dutch oven serves both functions, so you'd save space.

Edited by soon
  • Confused 1