What's your plan for 20 years from now?

DirtyDeeds

In one-hundred years' time, when currency is obsolete, they'll talk about hypocrisy and in it will be the subject of this musical genre called ''rock''. They'll be analytical essays on this dead genre. ''They preached rebellion; they preached 'love-peace'; they preached 'Anarchy in the UK', but in the end were only ever obsessed with this strange thing called money and voted for Reagan and Thatcher who promised them this item called money, and ripped off their fanbase in order to procure Pound Sterling''.

I think it will be seen as one of the more unworthy epochs of western culture personally, ''rock''. I think future generations will see Jazz and Blues in a worthier light perhaps, an authentic outpouring of the American experience and not these, fat plastic white people at stadiums playing ''Jack Flash'' in order to grab your last fiver from your back pocket.

(You can tell I am, as they say in America, on a downer on rock haha. Used to love the stuff but just feel so let down by it). 

On 23/06/2018 at 6:21 AM, DieselDaisy said:

In one-hundred years' time, when currency is obsolete, they'll talk about hypocrisy and in it will be the subject of this musical genre called ''rock''. They'll be analytical essays on this dead genre. ''They preached rebellion; they preached 'love-peace'; they preached 'Anarchy in the UK', but in the end were only ever obsessed with this strange thing called money and voted for Reagan and Thatcher who promised them this item called money, and ripped off their fanbase in order to procure Pound Sterling''.

I think it will be seen as one of the more unworthy epochs of western culture personally, ''rock''. I think future generations will see Jazz and Blues in a worthier light perhaps, an authentic outpouring of the American experience and not these, fat plastic white people at stadiums playing ''Jack Flash'' in order to grab your last fiver from your back pocket.

(You can tell I am, as they say in America, on a downer on rock haha. Used to love the stuff but just feel so let down by it). 

I guess we were all Condemned to Rock n Roll. 

On 10/06/2018 at 8:11 AM, DirtyDeeds said:

In 20 years, when pretty much every last one of your favorite bands is dead, do you have a plan? 

I don't, and it worries me. 

Even now, more and more bands are retiring or dying. Venues where I once saw the real acts, like the House of Blues, are now being booked more and more with the corresponding tribute bands.  If this is all I'm left with, it will be horribly unfulfilling and empty. 

I need my fix. If I go 6 months without a concert I really start to get the itch. Nothing touches my heart like the classic rock of the 60s, 70s, and 80s. I know some of you have favorite bands from newer eras. I do not. I've tried, but to my taste they just don't reach whatever it is in me that these older acts do. I know I'm not the only one here that feels this way. 

When I do go to shows, I see and meet a significant minority of attendees like me, people in their 20s and early 30s that are attached to this era of music and not to the one from our own generation. I don't think there's ever been a phenomenon like this where so many people  are out of sync with their own generation's music. As it is, in 20 years there will be millions of people in their 40s and early 50s with a good amount of life left in them with no live music they feel is worth attending. 

Do you know how you're going to address this problem?

I remember reading when maiden headlined the last donnington festival and the question was why maiden were offered the slot and the promoter said there are no bands to take the mantle from naiden yet.

And that is worrying.

Edited by Sydney Fan

If we're talking about rock music, it's almost a dead genre in my opinion already. By dead I mean there's not many innovative bands around. Most rock bands try to sound like something that we've already heard a million times and that's boring to me.

So it's not about coming up with a plan for the future. I would have gone crazy unless I had already adjusted to the situation. For me discovering the beauty of other genres of music has been the answer.

But when I think of Manson’s Rock is Dead, he’s saying it’s dead because it’s not shocking anymore.  And while the song is saying you gave us the sex and drugs and god in the tv so stop protesting, It still shocked middle america. That kind of rebellion against conformity will always come around again. 

But seeing as the norm is sex, drugs and rock n roll I can see the rebellion being anti all that. There was a that 90s irony to Manson or Nirvana where they lived a lifestyle sarcastically. Now bands just don’t conform to the cliches. Like The Strokes didn’t turn into rock pigs. Jack White just chilled into side projects.