What's your plan for 20 years from now?

DirtyDeeds

In 20 years, when pretty much every last one of your favorite bands is dead, do you have a plan? 

I don't, and it worries me. 

Even now, more and more bands are retiring or dying. Venues where I once saw the real acts, like the House of Blues, are now being booked more and more with the corresponding tribute bands.  If this is all I'm left with, it will be horribly unfulfilling and empty. 

I need my fix. If I go 6 months without a concert I really start to get the itch. Nothing touches my heart like the classic rock of the 60s, 70s, and 80s. I know some of you have favorite bands from newer eras. I do not. I've tried, but to my taste they just don't reach whatever it is in me that these older acts do. I know I'm not the only one here that feels this way. 

When I do go to shows, I see and meet a significant minority of attendees like me, people in their 20s and early 30s that are attached to this era of music and not to the one from our own generation. I don't think there's ever been a phenomenon like this where so many people  are out of sync with their own generation's music. As it is, in 20 years there will be millions of people in their 40s and early 50s with a good amount of life left in them with no live music they feel is worth attending. 

Do you know how you're going to address this problem?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Amir said:

I'd probably try and check out more current acts. Right now I wouldn't pay $100 to see St Vincent next week, but if GNR etc were dead, I'd consider it since I like some of her songs.

Yeah pretty much this. Gotta keep rolling with the times.

I'm at the stage where if I get into a band, there's a good chance they were formed 40 years ago and at least 3 members are dead anyway!

Fuck knows, the very few modern bands I listen to are quite synth heavy. I reckon the two staples I'll always carry with me are Queen and Guns N' Roses, but I'm sure new acts down the line will interest me, probably just fewer and fewer til I resemble the older generations of now that detest modern music and rave on about Sinatra :lol:

When Petty died I seriously wondered if there would ever be a new song that I would love. But then I heard this last week, It brought to mind Petty/Mudcrutch's I Forgive It All, and was reassured:

But, yeah Cornells death pretty much punctuated that there will not be classic rock anymore soon (best not to go thinking about that ugliness too much: Stones [mostly] made it to their 70's and grunge made it to its 50's). 

Kate Bush will be 79 so hopefully still going. Yngwie will be 75. Dereck Trucks. Amelia Curran. Zakk Wylde. The Jerry Cans. Lights. Maybe Lauryn Hill will get around to a proper follow up! Finck might get that solo album out. Bucket will be on pike 16 009! 

Also, GNR looked up to Kiss. Now they hock merch like Kiss. Kiss has talked about the band going on with out Gene and Paul. So I look forward to London on drums in GNR, Mel will be 35 by then and leading the band. Duffs kids, Fernandos kid.

• Like 1

I'm not that concerned since I like a wide variety of artists. I went to see Stone Sour and Halestorm last month and they both have a lot left in the tank. Aside from GN'R, the only band I wanna see before it's all over is Slipknot. Clown is getting up there and if he retires, the band is pretty much dead.

And I guess specifically my plan is, there’s so many great old classic bands that play the kind of music I love but I have not even really begun to discover. So, my plan is, listen to every classic album that interests me, because that alone would be a huge undertaking!!!

In 20 years I'll be lucky if I'm not KOHD.  :P 

But, if I can still get around and have manged my money properly, I think I'll find some concerts to enjoy.  I'm going to Lollapalooza just to check out some of the youngins.

I don't really think concerts are worth it nowadays, so much expense just for two hours entertainment. I'd rather watch live music on YouTube without having to take out a second mortgage to pay for it. And then I can sit on my ass and bitch about the lacklustre performances on MyGNR. :lol:

It just isn't for me. Paying your £300 for a golden circle with a laminate and a themed tonker truck. Seeing the hits with casuals whilst holding your £7 beer. Errant band members. No art. No creativity.

(Looking at Richard Fortus) ''wow, it is Gilby fuckin' Stradlin maaan''.

Load of bollocks really.

My favourite concert memories have been when the local jazz players gather around midnight, after playing smooth jazz at fancy hotels or weddings, and just lay on the stank for hours at a dive bar to blow off some steam. And I dont think thats going away thankfully. But rock is going to get hit and miss. 

• Like 1

Rock will never be over, there will always be good bands around. It might not be as popular as 40 years ago when there weren't half as many genres as there are now, and it might never be that popular again, but there will always be good rock music.