Your friends and family opinions of Guns n Roses through the years

Initially, my dad turned me on to GNR. He used to have the Greatest Hits CD running in his car or something and I somehow knew about GNR even before that as a young kid (mid/end 90's), them being these ominous bloated rock gods that were bigger than life. As the songs from Greatest Hits were the only songs I knew by them, at some point I started hating songs like Knockin' or Paradise City :lol: My dad did got fed up with the band at some point, I guess, but ended up buying CD when it came out and he liked it. When Velvet Revolver came around I started listening to their records occasionally, still not into that kind of music. Around 2010/2011 a close friend of mine, who is a massive Slash fan, and I got really into Slash's solo records and went to multiple concerts. I showed those records to my dad and he loved them. We went to severel more concerts together.

Through Slash's work I slowly started getting back into GNR and started listening to their records. I never liked the CD line-ups and thought the band was a big joke at the time, my dad still defending CD. When the news broke, that they were getting back together with Slash and Duff, my dad, my friend and I got really excited. Eventually I turned into a big massive fan and ended up in this forum. Haha... 

I think most of my other friends don't really "get" the music. Most of them still think Axl is a big wanker and Slash is a parody of a rockstar. I don't think any of them made the effort of really listening to their music. My girlfriend has to listen to GNR regularely although she hates the band. I do think she's starting to get into it though (by force). :lol:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, adamsapple said:

I don't hang with people who have shitty taste in music anymore so except for a few co-workers everyone in my circle is at least a casual fan of the classic lineup. Bonus points for people who appreciate CD.

I guess I don't really have a choice :lol: some casual fans here and there, my sister and that's it. But I can live with every taste in music as long as they don't say mine is shitty (well, they can say it, but I know when they're serious or only joking). I just realized almost nobody knows what I'm listening to all the time.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, adamsapple said:

I don't hang with people who have shitty taste in music anymore so except for a few co-workers everyone in my circle is at least a casual fan of the classic lineup. Bonus points for people who appreciate CD.

My fiends all like at lesst some classic rock. They may like rap more, but they all listen to Zeppelin, CCR, Black Sabbath and others occasionally.