Axl Rose's 2011 Vocal Style Started in 2010

MrSpaghetti

I was listening to some stuff from the last Chinese Democracy Tour 09/10 concerts, and I realised that Axl sounded like his 2011 vocal style(a cleaner and a bit weak voice)in December. If you see the last concert played before December, Spain 23th, October, Axl is in full raspy, so Axl maybe changed his vocal style to the very familiar 2011 style between October and November.

Edited by MrSpaghetti

• 2 weeks later...

From what I’ve researched and found out is that in late 2010 Axl developed an infection/virus that eventually became strep throat. He kept singing all through the infection until he got to the point where he lost his voice. From what I found out and I’m not sure how true this is, he damaged his vocal chords. It’s not that he changed his vocal style. I just don’t think he can hit those certain notes every night anymore. The guy is 56. I saw them in Hartford CT in 2017. He sounded like 06-2010. He was on point and sounded fuckin amazing that night. They played 10 minutes under 4 hours. 56 years old and still performing like he was in his 30s every night. Just amazing.hes the greatest

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

YouTube vids.. and how was the quality of that?exactly my point!cause I was there in person and he had that sandpaper rasp going all night. He was on point. If you’re not there in person and unless it’s a professional video quality you can’t judge shit. Even the vids I have on my phone don’t resemble how the band sounded that night. I was sober as can be and about 35 feet from the stage.youre not gunna tell me he didn’t sound like that. May have even sounded stronger 

42 minutes ago, DoseOfThunder22 said:

YouTube vids.. and how was the quality of that?exactly my point!cause I was there in person and he had that sandpaper rasp going all night. He was on point. If you’re not there in person and unless it’s a professional video quality you can’t judge shit. Even the vids I have on my phone don’t resemble how the band sounded that night. I was sober as can be and about 35 feet from the stage.youre not gunna tell me he didn’t sound like that. May have even sounded stronger 

Then why the fuck can I hear raspy Axl on every single 2010 / 2016 Axl/DC video? You're delusional. So basically, 9 year old cellphone videos are able to capture Axl's real voice, but modern ones can't? In 2017 Axl didn't sound nowhere near to his 2010 voice, period. And before you start talking shit, I've seen them 3 times on the NITL tour. And even if I didn't, YouTube videos don't lie. That's his true voice right there, unless Team Brazil has some alien technology that changes Axl's voice on NITL videos but not on the ones from previous years.

Go listen to the fucking Apollo or The Forum soundboard recordings and compare them to YouTube videos. It's the same shit.

Edited by GNRfanMILO
  • Like 2

On 04/03/2019 at 6:06 PM, MrSpaghetti said:

I was listening to some stuff from the last Chinese Democracy Tour 09/10 concerts, and I realised that Axl sounded like his 2011 vocal style(a cleaner and a bit weak voice)in December. If you see the last concert played before December, Spain 23th, October, Axl is in full raspy, so Axl maybe changed his vocal style to the very familiar 2011 style between October and November.

Talking about Axl's voice, in December during the concerts he alternates between his Raspy(normally used in 2010) and Clean Voice(normally used in 2011). This started in December, if you see Townsville concert(December 1), you can see a equilibrium between the two voices, now in the Adelaide concert (December 7), you can observe that his clean voice is dominating, but in some moments is possible to hear his Raspy.

SCOM - March, 25: https://youtu.be/BRA8A2TRMfk

SCOM - December, 7: https://youtu.be/3Rwu9Sjunbs

Don't Cry - March, 25: https://youtu.be/wiH2WoXge2o

Don't Cry - December 7: https://youtu.be/vJJYZ1UhwmQ

Edited by MrSpaghetti

18 hours ago, DoseOfThunder22 said:

From what I’ve researched and found out is that in late 2010 Axl developed an infection/virus that eventually became strep throat. He kept singing all through the infection until he got to the point where he lost his voice. From what I found out and I’m not sure how true this is, he damaged his vocal chords. It’s not that he changed his vocal style. I just don’t think he can hit those certain notes every night anymore. The guy is 56. I saw them in Hartford CT in 2017. He sounded like 06-2010. He was on point and sounded fuckin amazing that night. They played 10 minutes under 4 hours. 56 years old and still performing like he was in his 30s every night. Just amazing.hes the greatest

Thanks for that interesting info from 2010, this could explain some things, but I have to correct your comparison between Axl Rose's 2010 voice with his NITL tour voice.

WTTJ 2010: 

WTTJ NITL TOUR: 

But Yeah, I have to agree that Hartford was one of the best NITL concerts, in *CERTAIN MOMENTS he sounded like he sounds in 2006, 2010 and 1999.

(that CERTAIN MOMENTS can vary between some microseconds to 3 seconds during a music :b)

Edited by MrSpaghetti

5 hours ago, DoseOfThunder22 said:

That sandpaper rasp :lol: Youtube videos are fairly accurate, although sometimes when you're at a show his 'mickey' voice doesn't sound quite as weak (because it's echoing through a stadium).

I saw 2 shows in 2017. The songs he sounded good on when I heard them live, also sound pretty good on youtube (Nightrain, Catcher, I Feel Good, Wichita Lineman... from the Vancouver show) and the songs he sounded shitty on, sound like shit on youtube.

Either way though, he simply didn't sound as good in 2017, as he did in 2006-10. No NITL show was at that level vocally, especially the 2017-18 shows. The soundboards from 2017 sound atrocious. :shrugs:

No need to talk shit. I ain’t trying to get personal.youre those getting all offended like an insecure person does. I went to 3 shows also. I’ll also agree that with AC/DC he sounded amazing,but it was a different register.it was more of a scream technique.and I’m not talking a “ Corey Taylor slipknot “ type of scream either. 2016 he did sound a lot better. Idc what you say, I was at the show and I remember how it was. I’m not just gunna make something up. Rocket queen was just absolutely killer. I remember him just killin it. They even played prostitute which is rare. When he’s singing his own GNR songs there’s so much more vocal registers,octaves and different techniques being used compared to the strait forward registers of ACdc.i wouldn’t tell you how concert sounded if you were there and I wasn’t. So keep watching your vids.