Engineering a Reunion

little_witch

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Axl got upset with Slash for doing sh*t like Spaceghost, why did he hire a guitar player that plays on Power Rangers.

Not only Spaceghost...but Michael Jackson...that's pretty terrible.  Also, maybe it's because Buckethead is ------ ok, ok, ok...I won't go there.  It's like this argument, completely worn out since the day I got here.  It's been nearly three months since I posted at this d.amn thing...this is like bringing back the 'Welcome To The Videos and NYC' thread...

Michael Jackson is legendary whether you like him or not. Besides, who ever Slash showed up with or was featured on, He was still being SLASH. He did not sell out to no pop culture. He is not changing the style of music that he plays. He actually makes who he is performing with sound better.

Duff v Izzy? Trying to be objective, here are the songs written/co written by each of them;

IZZY: Patience,used to love her, your crazy, Mr Brownstone, think about you, Anything goes, Rocket queen, 14 years, pretty tied up, you could be mine, don't cry, right next door to hell, dust n bones, perfect crime, you ain't the first, bad obsession, double talkin jive.

DUFF: Its so easy, Dust n bones, Bad apples, civil war, get in the ring, so fine.

Duff may have been a greater presance on stage during the illusions tour before Izzy left, but a band can't get anywhere without good songs. Also Axl said that the bands most important members were him, slash and Izzy.

Well I just love the way that GNR was a total package, a band, blah,blah,blah.  But not apparently 3 of them are sufficient.   ::)

If I chose 3 though I'd have to go with Axl, Slash, and Duff.  (Now I'm agreeing with Da and Nathan! :o

All ye sinners, repent! The end is near! ;D)

ok, i might come across as somekind of a newbie with only one post here, but I've been following this discussion for quite a while now.

I'm really wondering how many of the people in here have actually been into the band back when they were the 'original' or or the UYI line-up? cause some of you, especially among the 'Axl followers', really come across as rather young. No offense to young fans, but I believe that if you havent seen and experienced the band back in the days then you probably don't fully appreciate the original members and you could come to a conclusion that it's only Axl that counts.

Of course his input was of great importance to the success of GNR. But so were Slash's and Duff's, not to forget Izzy's. Axl might have written a few more lyrics than the others, but he wouldn't have written those without the inspiration of playing with this band and the music to the songs wouldn't have been written in such way if it wasn't for the whole band jamming together.

steven adler was replacable, i've had problems with Izzy being replaced (loved his first solo album though) but there is no way one can replace Slash or Duff. It isn't the same band.

I'm off to see 'Axl and friends' at Leeds and in London later this months, which is the first time i am gonna see 'Guns n' Roses' since 1993. I'm obviously really looking forward to that, but to be honest, if given the choice, I'd rather see Slash, Duff, Matt and Izzy without Axl than Axl with other musicians any day.

Either way, Axl and friends or the others without Axl, none of both will come close to what they were 10-14 years ago. It would be great if they all, especially Axl, could get their act together and reunite, but I don't really see it happening yet...

I'm still not that knowledgeable on the new members but except for Buckethead n Chris Pittman , but is Dizzy Reed still the keyboardist for the New GnR or was he Replaced by Chris , if not then doesn't two keyboards sesem like overkill .

Peace GnR Nation  8)

Dizzy is still a member and the question of two on keyboards has arisen but is apparently necessary with the new sounds.  We will have to wait and see on that one.

The arguement of old v's new has been around for so long and everyone has their own opinion.  Most of us have been there from the beginning, myself, LW, Nathan I think, not sure how old Da is but I think LW and I are the oldest here.  There are also plenty of younger ones who were too young be around then but so what, I'm sure they have poured more time and effort into researching and gaining the history than I have as a 'old timer'.  The new will never replace the old, you just couldn't beat the raw energy that the band had together.  As for picking a few of the key members, that is everyones personal opinion and although some think Duff is more important than Izzy and vice versa, the fact is they were all as important as each other to create the sound.  But for the love of god, they are no longer together and more than likely never will be again.  For those of us that think Axl is still a key and favourite, then we will follow what comes next with him and if it's shit, I'll be one of the first to say but so far I am pleased with what I've heard.  

Now I'm agreeing with Da and Nathan!

There is a first for everything LW but you did you really have take it to that extreme! ;D ;D :o.  I'll always be on the outer on this Duff vs Izzy but could care less ::)

There is a first for everything LW but you did you really have take it to that extreme! ;D ;D :o.  

I say what the hell, Mum. Give the devil his due. ;D

And Mum's right.  I'd say I'm easily the oldest here.  Been listening to them since the beginning and no one could even suggest I wasn't old enough to get it at the time.  ;)  And as anyone can tell you I'm a die hard Axl supporter.   8)

ok, i might come across as somekind of a newbie with only one post here, but I've been following this discussion for quite a while now.

I'm really wondering how many of the people in here have actually been into the band back when they were the 'original' or or the UYI line-up? cause some of you, especially among the 'Axl followers', really come across as rather young....

Young?  Neko, you're only 24! This means you were all of about 9 or 10 years old when GNR first hit it big. And you claim to be an expert?  lol.   I haven't had a good laugh like that in a long time.  :D .. What's the word Axl used? ... oh yeah, punk.

Myself, I was certainly old enough to recognize and appreciate GNR when they first hit the music scene. Been there from the start and stuck with them all these years. But I certainly don't dismiss the opinions of younger fans as you have. While they may not have the same perspective as those of us who were there at the beginning, they're still fans and I value their views.  

And yes, I am an Axl supporter. I truly see him as the heart, the soul, the attitude and the voice behind GNR.  I admit I would love to see the old members mend fences and reunite, but if that isn't possible (and it doesn't appear to be at least in the near future), then I'm behind Axl in whatever direction he takes and with whatever band members he chooses. I trust his judgment.

During my absence nothing has changed eh?!  ;)

Old Vs New band?

Younger Vs Older fans?

The only thing I say is this: 3 days ago while I was in  camping I met a very young boy (he was 13) who wore a GNR T-shirt.... I found it so nice.....

So, I don't mind a fan age...  IMO we're all GNR supporters!! ;)

And what has that to do with anything, Nathan..?

No, we had to pick up this music on our own initiative, learn about GnR by reading and searching the internett..

If anything it should be credited as we werent just jumping the bandwagon (or whatever) and then hanging there..

We wont know how it was, we will get the draft trough reading stuff, but we will never really know how it was.. What has that to do with GnR?

And what has that to do with anything, Nathan..?

No, we had to pick up this music on our own initiative, learn about GnR by reading and searching the internett..

If anything it should be credited as we werent just jumping the bandwagon (or whatever) and then hanging there..

We wont know how it was, we will get the draft trough reading stuff, but we will never really know how it was.. What has that to do with GnR?

Gauda, I don't think Nathan was dissing new or younger fans. He was just pointing out that those of us who were old enough to experience the music in the beginning probably have a different perspective on where the band has been and where it's going. We have a slightly different handle on the band, the lyrics, and the attitude that drove GNR at the time, and where they're at today.  This, btw, does not lessen the importance of younger fans' views.

None of us experienced the music in the same way.  Everything from age to geographic location to social group to personality affects the way you experience music.  Age is only one factor here.  Those of us who were there from the start aren't an elite group who are uniquely qualified to pontificate on GNR.  I don't notice anyone asking how much cash others have and saying you're too rich to get it or saying that woman can't understand.

Great points LW.  So many factors contribute to the experience.

I do understand what Nathan was trying to say though.  You can get into an older band and research and understand everything that happened, no matter the age but if we were all in our prime in the 60's and that music era, we would certainly all have a more indepth perspective of what it was like at the time.  Actually living an era is quite different to knowing all about it.

No less important though I will add before everyone jumps on my back.

ok.. My bad.. :) I just noticed there where this whole age thing going on again.. Didnt really check what it was all about just airing my views on it, migth have mixed boards aswell as this seems to be a ongoing disscussion on several boards.. Think that is was from the heretodaygonetohell board again.. I got to paste and cut and change names at it all, This one wasnt meant for you obviously :)

Sorry about that Nathan.. :)

• 1 month later...

the way i see it is how come everyone left, other bands and ppl couldnt get along with axl, yet its the rest the bands fault?its like 5 ppl sain you have a bad attitude and you sittn there disagreeing instead of thinkin,wow maybe i do...... dont get me wrong ,axl rocks , but he did not build guns on his own,  its like sayin cheech built cheech and chong or something. the new band is cool, but if slash is such a "pain" then why do alot of other musicians wanna work with him?   basically one wouldnt be what they are with out the other.and lots of ppl will be like "wheres slash" cuz thye dont know theres a new gnr and  at some point in the tour the crowd will boo if he is dissed by axl on stage,  i do think slash and finck would be a cool duo at the guitars. i think tobias fucked up alot of things got the band.  but i guess you gotta be there, a guitar tech was on mtv once and he said the gnr camo was split in 2, half takin axl's side,half slash's side. i still feel a rant is uncalled for , the alums are a big reason why he's there

Wow. Who resurrected this thread?!!  :o

Well, for the newbies here, I hope you all read through the entire thead.  I mean, you just wouldn't be REAL Gunners if you don't go back and read EVERY single tedious post -- all 29 pages!  Now, get going.  :D ;D