Engineering a Reunion

little_witch

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To Axl's mum,

There was only one change for the early GnR. Gilby came in after the UYI album was done to replace Izzy for the tour. He was not an official member.

If Paul McCartney got a bunch of new people together and called themselves the Beatles, would people like that?? No!!

Well if you trying to get to Matt being the only change in membership because Gilby was never official (which by the way is just a foolish argument) maybe you'd feel better if we say that no one was replaced and Robin, Buckethead, etc... aren't official. (Back off everyone!  I'm not actually saying that. This is a "what if".) Would it work for you then?  

Maybe so but if the musicians were still together and Axl was replaced, do you really think they would have the same success?  I really don't think so, their solo projects have shown that.  Which comes back to it that musicians can be replaced but the frontman can't.

Check out Pink Floyd. Just about every song the average listener hears was written by Roger Waters. Wrote every lyric on Dark side of the moon and The Wall for example. When he left for musical differences, he thought no more Pink Floyd. Gilmour took over everything and called them Pink Floyd  and he wasen't a founding member. So anything can happen. This just proves you can say anything about anything, almost. hehe

I got to page 6 and my eyes are now bleeding, I skipped ahead to the last couple, so I'm just going to state some things and read only future posts.

What?!! You mean you only read the first six pages and you call yourself a Gunner?  I'm shocked BP.  ;D  Now if you're a REAL dedicated die-hard Gunner, you'll get back there and read EVERY single tedious post -- all 19 --- err.. 20 - pages!  Now get going.   ;)

btw, you made some great points in your post.  :)

I know that. But it was not the whole band. Especially members who put their signatures on classic songs and made GnR what they are.

Izzy put his signature on many of GNR's classics, and yet he was replaced. Oh, I forgot, you didn't consider Gilby an ''official'' replacement. Does Matt fall into that 'unofficial' replacement category too?  I think Little Witch has a good suggestion -- just think of them all as ''unofficial'' if it makes it easier for you to accept the new lineup.  ;D

Axls mum, What is success to you??? Is it record sales??? If it is, that we are in two different pages. To me, record sales only mean that it is trendy. And most of the time to go platinum, you have to sellout and go pop. I don't know if you like rap or not but take Nelly for example. He goes multi platinum but he is the weakest rapper i ever heard. If you listen to pop and top 40 stations, when they play Creed what songs are they playing?? But if you turn your radio to a hard rock station, they'll play alot of the b-sides of their album. I rather hear GnR on my favorite hard rock radio stations than on some top 40 station with Creed, Lifehouse and Nsync.

Yeah, I'm a guitarist. I got sick of looking for the right pic, so I picked Big Muff since I use it. Watch out if I hit that button hehe. I been playing for awhile, but the past year or even longer not as much. Me & music weren't getting along & now we're working it out. I'm on a long dry spell mainly because I hurt my back pretty bad a couple years ago & when I tryed getting back to par it got very frustrating like years of practice I built up physically went down the drain. plus it is very painful when I play still because when I play, I jam a long time. So instead of it being an artistic joy which leads to song writing, an escape from the world, self harmony, it started to be a drawn out struggle  :'( . Only a musician can fully understand how it feels. Best thing I was ever good at in my eyes. Then last month my friend/drummer dies at age 25. So thats my music life right now! aren't you glad you asked? hehe BP

[glow=red,2,300]Bi Polar[/glow], are you a guitarist? i see your picture is of a Big Muff distortion box...

ohhh, sorry about your friend BP.

Say where are you from? USA? I am from Houston. Not many people here from the states, besides LW & I. Am I leaving out anyone?

referring to the above posts, I think that Gilby was a good replacement for Izzy, and while he may not have been 'official', he was still a member in my book, as was Matt, and Buckethead, Finick....etc.

And the thing with Paul McCartney & the Beatles, well that is a good arguement. I don't think he could do it, but he also dosen't own the rights to the band's name.

(he dosen't does he?)

To AXl's Fans

Im not an Axl fan Im a GN'R fan!

I think Axl AS A PERSON is a real prick!

first of all: the original members did not leave the band THEY WERE FIRED........by you know who........because of you know what ---my way or highway........btw he had absolutely no right to do that..........its like ......cheating your business partners with whom u founded a company (as an example)..........who the fuck he iz to do that?? ?? as far as I remember GN'r was not established by Rose solely??uh??  I thought in the beginning it were Izzy Duff Tracii and Robert????? Am I wrong????? He acted dishonourable......

but the worse thing is that Axl, knowing he IS wrong, wanted to prove that he is not.....and he chose the meanest way for that......he called his new band, a solo project GN'R.......by doing this he DENIED EVERYTHING THE OTHER MEMBERS(of equal talent as mr.Rose btw) DID FOR THE BAND....

I know im going to be bashed for that......but who cares....

P.S. Bi Polar you have an original point of view on things....so please keep on sharing....... ;)

GN'R Forever

The Farmer

Axls mum, What is success to you Is it record sales If it is, that we are in two different pages. To me, record sales only mean that it is trendy. And most of the time to go platinum, you have to sellout and go pop. I don't know if you like rap or not but take Nelly for example. He goes multi platinum but he is the weakest rapper i ever heard. If you listen to pop and top 40 stations, when they play Creed what songs are they playing?? But if you turn your radio to a hard rock station, they'll play alot of the b-sides of their album. I rather hear GnR on my favorite hard rock radio stations than on some top 40 station with Creed, Lifehouse and Nsync.

Da, record sales have something to do with it to make a band a household name.  I think I read on the message board that AFD still sells 6,000 copies a week world wide.  That is impressive but do they get airtime on regular stations, not often and it is only ever November Rain, etc.  Personally, my favourite gnr songs are not played on regular.  Re: your rap example - I don't know even know who Nelly is if that is a good enough explanation.  I don't follow top 40, hate girl/boy bands, rap, techno and nu-metal.  You might say I am stuck in a time warp when it comes to music.  I here a band I like (whether or not a big name/high record sales) and I stick with them.  There is a difference between worldwide success and what I consider makes a band successful, which is making music and writing lyrics that I like and can relate to.  That is a personal success status though.

... first of all: the original members did not leave the band THEY WERE FIRED........by you know who........because of you know what ---my way or highway........btw he had absolutely no right to do that..........its like ......cheating your business partners with whom u founded a company (as an example)..........who the fuck he iz to do that?? ??

Honey, you've been sadly misinformed. The only member that was fired was Steven. The others all left on their own accord.

As for the name, how can you criticize Axl for making a savvy business decision?  If you want to blame someone, blame the other band members who signed over the rights. Axl could never have attained the rights without  their written consent.

Selling a million records does not make you great. It only means you are popular for the time being.

But on having to know Axl personally. You don't have to know Axl personally to think he is a prick. You can read what insiders write about. There are alot of good biographies out there. He was a prick to his own fans. If the crowd is not hyped up to his standards then he will bitch and complain and sometimes even threaten to stop shows. He has to have his own dressing room and has bullshit demands to go along with them like gourmet cheese!! If he does not get cheese he won't go on stage. This is not bullshit cause i got this from many sources. He'll order a pepperoni pizza and the pepperoni's have to be in a certain pattern other wise he'll wyne. I know everybody heard the story of his limo driver making a illegal turn and getting pulled over. If he got the ticket then he won't go on stage. Axl is a crybaby!!!!! I think he is the reason why everybody left and was hard to work with. You cannot blame the rest of the band. It was more than just music differences. I am sure every band have musical differences but are able to work them out. Axl could not be worked with. His way is MY WAY OR HIGH WAY. That is probably why there is so many different musical personalities on his new album. I wonder how much he is paying them.

:) Hi Jennie!! Yup I'm from the US. Jersey Shore. If you turn on MTV, God forbid, you may see that MTV has taken over my town. I have already seen p-diddy and the famous jessie cam umm something. You would know him if you seen him. anyway, I'm damn tired and will attack some posts tomorrow. goooooooood night!

You don't have to know Axl personally to think he is a prick. You can read what insiders write about. There are alot of good biographies out there. He was a prick to his own fans...  

I think it's unfair to judge Axl based on some negative stories that were written years ago. Perhaps if you had dug a little deeper in your research, you would have discovered another side to Axl. He's done many charitable things that have just not been highly publicized -- such as helping out his old buddies from Indiana and throwing Halloween parties for underprivileged kids. Guess you missed those huh?

.. He has to have his own dressing room and has bullshit demands to go along with them like gourmet cheese!! If he does not get cheese he won't go on stage. This is not bullshit cause i got this from many sources. He'll order a pepperoni pizza and the pepperoni's have to be in a certain pattern other wise he'll wyne...

If requesting his own dressing room, some gourmet cheese and pepperoni pizza is a big deal to you, then you obviously haven't a clue about rockers and other musicians' demands. Axl's demands are modest compared with others.  

To give you an idea, here are some clips that appeared in a London newspaper last month that give a rundown on the demands made by a few of today's musicians.  Happy reading ...

First, Britney Spears  --- She requires in her dressing room "two six-foot couches, two easy chairs, a clean and odour-free carpeted or rugged floor, a large coffee table, two floor lamps and four cushioned folding chairs." She needs her own phone line, but woe betide the promoter if anyone calls in by mistake: "any incoming calls will result in a $5,000 fine". In case Britney gets the munchies, she requires two boxes of Pop Tarts, a box of Captain Crunch and Fruit Loops, and a "bowl of fresh tuna salad, with Hellmann's mayo, eggs, relish and albacore tuna only!"

And then there's Puff Daddy (or P. Diddy or whatever he calls himself today) ..

"He expects at least 204 towels and 20 bars of soap in the tour dressing room, and he tells his backstage caterers that "all food and ice must be inspected for hair, package, paper, etc, and all catering staff must wear hair nets". If you really want to make him angry, let him see a bottle of juice rather than a carton - for Puff is, it seems, a prima donna when it comes to beverages. Here is what he likes to drink backstage: "1 gallon of milk; 1 gallon of fresh squeezed orange juice; 1 gallon of apple juice; 12 cases of Tropicana Twisters; 12 cases of spring water; 2 bottles of Hennessy cognac; 1 bottle Alize; 1 bottle of Cristal champagne; 1 bottle of Dom Perignon." And all "iced down for 20 minutes prior to serving" in a large, plastic-lined dustbin."

And let's not forget Elton John:

"Elton's 12-page backstage rider specifies his every preference, from the dressing-room flowers ("NO chrysanthemums, lilies, carnations or daisies") to the buffet table ("absolutely NO cold cuts").  Unlike Puff Daddy, Elton requires just 74 towels, but these are not, of course, to be used by the drivers of his two limousines, his luggage van or his laundry cars (all washing to be back by 5pm, naturally). "

After that, Axl's requests sound pretty reasonable don't you think?   ;)

Selling a million records does not make you great. It only means you are popular for the time being.

Quite right.  I can definitely agree with that.  That's not why Axl is great at all.  Just brings us right back to that vision and voice and enormous talent.  

You can read what insiders write about. There are alot of good biographies out there...This is not bullshit cause i got this from many sources.  

Which insiders, which biographies, and which sources?  I'm sure they have no interest in making Axl look bad, right?  

And maybe you should consider the background Axl came from.  He went from being a kid who was neglected or abused by the vast majority of adults around him to being a rock god. He was being given everything he wanted from money to drugs to women to whatever. Everybody catered to him. It's gotta be a little hard to adjust to a shift like that without going overboard.

Not to mention the fact that it's been 8 years.  I've grown up quite a lot in 8 years.  Think maybe Axl has too?  

I can't think of a single musician or actor/famous person who hasn't had something nasty written about them in the paper, magazines, or on the internet at sometime or another. Not that I follow many people other than Axl and a few others. Journalists love to write about famous people, even if it is not true, because lets face it, we the people love to read about it, whether or not we believe it. And who gives a sh*t how he likes his pizza? A millionaire rock star who has brought us wonderful music has earned the right order his pizza any way he wants. And how old was he then? In his 20's, early 30's maybe? But that's besides the point. How cranky do you think you'd be if you were touring, on the road 24/7? And how long was the Illiuison tour? Can anyone tell me?

BP-no I don't turn on MTV, they don't play videos anymore.

Gimme a break people!!! Who cares if he was abused, and who cares if he is a rock star. HE IS HUMAN. Yeah other stars like Britiney Spears, Elton John and P. Diddy have demands, but they don't threaten to not go onstage because one pepperoni is missing and use 20,000 awaiting fans as recourse. You ask me what sources. I don't always go by magazines. I go by biographies that were written back then such as "The Most Dangerous Band in the World" and I forgot the title and author. You say Axl has grown up now........well I don't see it yet. I watched one show and he does not seem to have changed. He threw 2 fits. He was the first person to bad mouth the ex-bandmates. If you listen to the interview that he did in Chile. He sounded like a brat. Face it.......Axl is an asshole.