How manyy bands could throw away this many songs?

Guest Apollo

F*ck, I hate it when the mods move a topic to another section, where it goes from having a hundred potential comments and a thousand views to 2 comments a month and 5 views!!!

So I'm throwing in a couple questions in this post in hopes they'll keep it in the "active" forum section.

First off, there is a reason that most songs that are unreleased are UNRELEASED!!! It's cuz the band does not think they are as strong as other songs picked to go on albums. Ya, sometimes it's because a song doesn't have the right "feel" to it. And yes, sometimes an unreleased song does kick ass. BUT for the most part, if a band thought a song was worthy of release then they release it - not stash it away for all time. Usually it's just an average song at best.

Has any band out there not released as many good songs as Guns n Roses???? And, what if the recording company said "Fuck it, we're releasing an ablum next month. Here are songs we have studio versions of. We're tired of waiting."

OK - The obvious ones. The Blues, Madagascar, Chinese Democracy, IRS and Rhiad. Maybe the song CD is going to be on the upcoming CD, hopefully IRS is going to be. The versions I've heard kick ass in my opinion. Axl's 15 second scream and the kick-ass guitar solo at the end of the 3 -minute version is amazing.

But can Blues, Maddy and Rhiad be included on Chinese Demcracy???? DONT get me wrong, I love all three of them. I like The Blues as much as any GnR song ever. But they've been around for over three years! WILL THE BLUES, MADAGASCAR and RHIAD NOT get released???? And didn't Axl at one point said that they weren't part of the "big guns"? Would hte record company be pissed if Axl turns in his list of songs for the next album and 5 of them are 2-3-4 years old?

So they are old and not part of the big guns. There is a possiblity, those three-to-five songs are not on Chinese Democracy.

Then throw in songs like:

Crash Diet - awesome rocker

Just Another Sunday - i love it, great laid back, easy going song

Bring it Back Home to Me - nice and gritty

Silkworms - no comment

Dust in the Wind - potential to be a great song

Too Much, Too Soon - pretty gay song, only one I dislike

So if the above five mentioned new songs are not included, and the six old songs I just listed . . . that's 11 songs. Pretty much an albums worth of material.

My questions - how many bands could release a full album of OLD unreleased songs and have it be a huge smash?

And, how pissed would you be if the recordng company released an album of those songs.

"My questions - how many bands could release a full album of OLD unreleased songs and have it be a huge smash? And, how pissed would you be if the recording company released an album of those songs."

Usually those 'old songs released' compilations come when the band is finished. G'N'R already pushed it by releasing 'The Spaghetti Incident' which had no original songs on it at all. Good covers, but a bit of a disapointment. Axl pushed it even more with the release of the HOLLYWOOD ROSE stuff that had 3 versions of each song on it - so you pay the price of an album for what is really only and EP! And, some may argue that even 'Lies!' is only half original, but side A being the release of 'LIVE LIKE A SUICIDE'.

Hopefully Axl can find a solid base of musicians who can continue with the GNR tradition and yet take it up a notch and move on. That is quite a challenge. And we will see with 'Chinese' how able he is to do that. Hopefully it will finally be some original, recent compositions with maybe a few oldies in there.

Oasis didnt do too badly when they released "the masterplan". That was a collection of B sides that were never gonna see the light of day, and hsa some of Oasis' best songs. The masterplan in particular is awesome, seriously class.

And I have no doubt that GNR could do exactly the same. I think Crash Diet should be on CD at least, if not released coz its fuckin awesome.

Grimo.

F*ck, I hate it when the mods move a topic to another section, where it goes from having a hundred potential comments and a thousand views to 2 comments a month and 5 views!!!

Believe it or not, we move topics to make it easier for members to browse the forum. To avoid getting upset, please post in the right section from the start like you did now.

On topic. I agree with you that it would be great to hear the studio versions of unreleased material. We all know there's plenty of songs in the archives and hopefully some day in the future they will be released on some collection.

I think any band that has been around for 20 or so years, with about 10 albums officially released could have more unreleased songs than GNR.

Take Bruce Springsteen for example who released a 4CD set of unreleased material (TRACKS), also Nirvana (WHEN THE LIGHTS GO OUT) and Bob Dylan (BOOTLEG RECORDINGS VOL 1, 2 and 3).

If you are comparing unreleased material I guess Prince is the king of unreleased material.

I think we have only seen the top of the iceberg.

Surely there are 50 songs we don't know of.

The Blues and Madagascar are probably two of the best songs written pre-02.

I think Axl really regrets saying "You haven't seen the big guns yet.."

That's a statement able to postpone a new album on it's own.

It's like a sprinter saying: "I do the 100 metres in 9.75 secs in training every day.

He'd never show up at an athletics event before running at least 9.90.

Oasis released the Masterplan, which in my opinion is there 4th best album. That was purely B-Sides. This is just an example. But there are many bands which do this.

I think your opinion is a little biased and there are plenty of other bands which have songs laying around that are unreleased which in many peoples eyes would work on an album.

It's like a sprinter saying: "I do the 100 metres in 9.75 secs in training every day.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Agreed.

Oasis released the Masterplan, which in my opinion is there 4th best album. That was purely B-Sides. This is just an example. But there are many bands which do this.

I think your opinion is a little biased and there are plenty of other bands which have songs laying around that are unreleased which in many peoples eyes would work on an album.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

4th best? I'd put it close to, if not at the top (Apart from Definately Maybe) DM is obviously the best album they've done. I think CD could eventually become an album of unreleased material if Axl doesnt release somethin soon.

Grimo.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Agreed.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

4th best? I'd put it close to, if not at the top (Apart from Definately Maybe) DM is obviously the best album they've done. I think CD could eventually become an album of unreleased material if Axl doesnt release somethin soon.

Grimo.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Id probably put DM, Whats the Story, Be here now, then masterplan. But my opinion changes daily. Sometimes, I prefer TSI to UYI 1 - dont shoot me!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

LOL, my friend, opinions are always biased! Thats why they are personal opinions!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Agreed.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Grimo.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Id probably put DM, Whats the Story, Be here now, then masterplan. But my opinion changes daily. Sometimes, I prefer TSI to UYI 1 - dont shoot me!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, the song "the masterplan" is my fave oasis song. If they released that it would be huge.

Grimo.

Don't you remember the "lost GNR album"? The one that was recorded from 1993 to 1996 and then junked? There is plenty of info on this event. There is even an interview with Duff where he talks about the album briefly. He said that many of the songs where acoustic and some were ballads. I know sobody here can find that interview.

You do know Dust in the Wind is a cover from the illusions tour? and a few of the other mentioned songs are not from new gnr too? just another sunday is a cover also if im not mistaken. why would they put dust in the wind on? a song they covered over 10 years ago.

what year is crash diet from?

Edited by Mrs. Brownstone

I've heard that just another sunday, crash diet, sentimental movie etc.. are from the pre AFD era, the only unreleased of UYI is Aint going down

they could also release Cornshucker that was gonna be on Lies hehe

i'm curious to know if axl ever recorded it tastes good dont it? :xmasssanta:

Don't you remember the "lost GNR album"? The one that was recorded from 1993 to 1996 and then junked? There is plenty of info on this event. There is even an interview with Duff where he talks about the album briefly. He said that many of the songs where acoustic and some were ballads. I know sobody here can find that interview.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Lost Album was/is a bunch of Nazareth songs.

You do know Dust in the Wind is a cover from the illusions tour? and a few of the other mentioned songs are not from new gnr too?  just another sunday is a cover also if im not mistaken.  why would they put dust in the wind on? a song they covered over 10 years ago.

what year is crash diet from?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just Another Sunday is a Pre-AFD era demo.

Most (non recordlabel created) bands record a few - maybe - four or five extra song per album that's never released. It's a good way of keeping a high standard on the songs that acutally makes it to the album.

There are some 60 or 70 songs rumored for CD if I'm not mistaken..? Even if they make three albums it will never use more than 40 of them in total. That's alot throwaway indeed.

I read an interview with Keith Richards which he claims he had stacks of stuff by himself with playing a guitar, over a 1000 songs.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't know who he is. So I'll just nod happily.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Are you joking? If so, I've failed to see the irony..