Could Slash Be Challenging Axl By Naming A Date?

madison

We all know that there's a greater chance of pigs flying outside the window -- than there is of Axl calling up Slash on the phone to tell him the album release date first. So I started to wonder - why would Slash make this comment during the interview?

When I listened to the interview again, I realized Slash quickly followed the CD release date with a comment that VR's album would be coming out around the same time. Does anyone think that maybe Slash was challenging Axl to release it in March so that it would come out around the same time as VR's second album - and the two albums could then go head-to-head with each other on the charts? If this happened - do you think the two albums would sell the same? Or do you think one would totally outsell the other and "prove" GNR needs/doesn't need the original members?

Your thoughts?

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

great questions.

i dont think 1 would totally eclipes the other but vr deff has the momentum(sp?) being its current sucesses and the fact that gnr has been dead in the eyes of most gnr fans (excluding us who visit a gnr website for updates).

i dont know if slash was challenging him but i think it would be a new riavlery like the 1 gnr had against matellica in the 90s.

but undoubtedly, axl works on his own time. slash knows this better then all of us i bet.

I think that velvet revolvers album will get higher ratings an sell more. Axl has been saying that this album will be coming out soon for years now so who's to say that his album will really come out on the shceduled date anyway lol.

when is Velvet Revolvers album coming out anyway?

We all know that there's a greater chance of pigs flying outside the window -- than there is of Axl calling up Slash on the phone to tell him the album release date first. So I started to wonder - why would Slash make this comment during the interview?

When I listened to the interview again, I realized Slash quickly followed the CD release date with a comment that VR's album would be coming out around the same time. Does anyone think that maybe Slash was challenging Axl to release it in March so that it would come out around the same time as VR's second album - and the two albums could then go head-to-head with each other on the charts? If this happened - do you think the two albums would sell the same? Or do you think one would totally outsell the other and "prove" GNR needs/doesn't need the original members?

Your thoughts?

When Slash said it (CD) was coming out in March him and the DJ we're kinda laughing about it but still trying to keep some sort of composure about it. But I even think Slash know there's no way it coming out in 2 months time. So even if it IS a challenge it still couldn't be met because I'm one of those know believe "soon isn't the word" and there's not going to be a sneak release

As far as selling the same, no. There's alot of people who aren't even GNR fans who would buy it not to mention each and every person on this forum (I know I would because I like what's been put out in bootleg form so far) and GNR fans in general. Velvet Revolver would be humiliated because I just don't see many rabid VR fans who are THAT hungry as opposed to GNR fanbase

Your thoughts?

When Slash said it (CD) was coming out in March him and the DJ we're kinda laughing about it but still trying to keep some sort of composure about it. But I even think Slash know there's no way it coming out in 2 months time. So even if it IS a challenge it still couldn't be met because I'm one of those know believe "soon isn't the word" and there's not going to be a sneak release

As far as selling the same, no. There's alot of people who aren't even GNR fans who would buy it not to mention each and every person on this forum (I know I would because I like what's been put out in bootleg form so far) and GNR fans in general. Velvet Revolver would be humiliated because I just don't see many rabid VR fans who are THAT hungry as opposed to GNR fanbase

I'd bet that VR would sell more. It's a tough call because we really don't know what's going to come from VR's next album (concept album) nor from Chi-Dem, but based on momentum I'd expect VR to pop Chi-Dem.

I'm looking forward to BOTH albums :)

nah i dont think he's challenging him because i sincerely doubt axl would respond to that and this is from the point of view of a fan who doesnt know him, never met him. slash has known him for years and they band seemed real close, so wouldnt he know axl well enough to know that he wouldnt be so immature as to make it into a challenge.

maybe slash said this and mentioned the VR cd shortly after to cash in on the fact he was a gnr member. because he's said they might be released around the same time alot of people are going to pick up on possible tension here and for that reason buy the cd.

though i think it was probably a genuine comment. he doesnt know for sure but he's been hearing things about it.

i think a guns n roses album would sell better because they have such a big fanbase. older fans who havent heard much by the latest line-upwill be curious aswell as die hard fans and whatever other kind of fans there are out there...you get the point. gnr's album will outsell VR's, though guns n roses releasing a cd going back on tour etc...will boost VR sales too.... i think anyway

meh ill be buying both

It's ridiculous to even think this was Slash's intention: to make a challenge to Axl. I mean... he's in his 40's, and only children do these stupid games.

Anyway, I guess this is what Slash was referring to, when he said in the radio interview that the press likes to invent some kind of feud between him and Axl... But most of the times it happens in these forums, and this is was one of those cases... :rolleyes:

As for the other question...

An album with the Guns N' Roses name attached to it will always sell more than an album from Velvet Revolver. The only reasons for that not to happen is unless the Gn'R album is a complete piece of garbage, which I doubt; or if the VR album turns out to be a classic, a masterpiece, which I also doubt very much; or if the band lacks one of its most popular members (that would be Axl or - in a minor scale - Slash; we all know Axl's there, so that problem is solved...).

Even Greatest Hits (an album with old songs) sold more than Contraband. That alone is sufficient proof that the name Guns N' Roses is still more recognized (and generates more interest) than VR.

Just my opinion.

Edited by Stranger

slash can know many things we can't. he was signed to geffen for years, he knows people/

alas CD would outsell VR easily. VR has been a big success, but the anticipation of 15 years of waiting isn't there. people who hate gnr refer to thinks like CD, taking too damn long.

1. These days its about marketing..and I would bet CD will have so much marketing behind it..that it might break records.

2. GNR name attached to CD.

3. If all the talk about ballads and zeppelin references are true, CD will appeal to an older audience (Adult Contemporary (MMM/MTV2)) which are from the CD buying generation and will probably buy it for nostalgia reasons alone.

Nah, this wasn't any sort of challenge. He's just doing an interview with a Philadelphia radio station(not exactly Prime Time Live) and being asked about Nu-GNR. I think he provided the info he's heard through the grapevine, but who knows how reliable it is--and as we know in the world of Axl, things can change at anytime per Axl's whims. Hell, if Merck has been wrong in the past, there's no reason to think Slash's info is rock solid. I do think Merck's past statement that 2005 was to be the Year of GNR was an obvious and understandable challenge to Axl.

No offense Madison as I know this is just a topic of discussion, but it just goes to further prove that no matter what Slash says some here are going to doubt his motives. He was nothing but cool to Axl and his band. He's matured, moved on and time heals. Pretty simple...