axl rose / elvis presley

jane

Yes, Elvis is certainly a bigger culural icon. But at least Axl didn't have to steal music from other artists. Elvis only became the so-called "King of Rock and Roll" from being a liar and a thief.

Never thought I'd reply to another one of this know-it-all's nit-witted posts. If you are so ignorant to even remotely comprehend what Elvis means to the music world, well, it's just another example of how ridiculously ignorant and narrow-viewed you really are.

You like to talk about liars and thiefs?

Knockin On Heavens Door

Sympathy for the Devil

Dust in the Wind

Jumpin' Jack Flash

Live and Let Die

The Godfather Theme

Mama Kin

Dead Flowers

Wild Horses

Voodo Chili (Hendrix)

HEARTBREAK HOTEL (Elvis)

Whole Lotta Rosie

THE ENTIRE SPAGHETTI INCIDENT ALBUM

And more. Truth is, GNR relied on covers to get off the ground... just like most artist that start out in clubs. Elvis produced countless hundreds of original songs, dozens of which were number 1 songs. GNR has NEVER had a #1 hit. You have the fucking nerve to be completely ignorant of that fact? Furthermore, you're stupid enough not to realize GNR, in comparison to their original material vs. what Elvis put out during his career, has a higer percentage of using covers than Elvis does?

A couple of things, Sweet Child O' Mine, went to 1* in the US top 100. Ergo, 1* hit. Do you have the fucking nerve to be completely ignorant of that fact? Furthermore, you're stupid enough to realise that GN'R have written a lot of stuff, aside from about those what, 12 covers? No one is questioning the impact or what Elvis did in his career, GN'R made an impact as well, in a very different era for a very different age group.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The RIAA certifications are based on documented sales figures and in the case of older artists these figures simply do not exist any more. In the case of Elvis the RCA figures are incomplete, most importantly sales during the 12 months after Elvis' death are unaccounted for. BILLBOARD wrote in September 1977 that RCA shipped 20 million records a week. They had as many as 40 pressing plants working overtime to cope with the demand. RCA November releases were postponed, in order to supply Elvis product and at one time during the period more than 1/3 of all sales in the country market was Elvis Presley product. On top of this tens of millions of records sold through outside companies including record clubs, are mainly unaccounted for in RIAA totals.

That's something that no one else would ever be capable of. 20 million records a week. That's more than most groups/artists sell in their entire careers. In fact, a career sales total of 20 million is still quite impressive. Elvis was pushing that many records a week... and he was DEAD!

Elvis all the way. The King is forever.

when they remixed those 2 songs of his with beats from JXL, the 2 songs (A Little Less Conversation, Rubberneckin') they became instant dance hits. And turned yet another generation to Elvis. It's no wonder he's the #1 selling artist of all time. Now THAT's cultural impact, GNR ain't even close.

(actually I'm not sure who's the #1 selling, is it Elvis or The Beatles? I know they're #1 and #2 but I'm not sure which is which)

Edited by moreblack

Don't forget all those movies Elvis made. Yeah, I know they were "B" movies for the most part, but they were very popular. Axl's been in one movie, a bit part/no lines(at least it was a Dirty Harry movie).

Axl is great.

Elvis is the KING!

Yes, Elvis is certainly a bigger culural icon. But at least Axl didn't have to steal music from other artists. Elvis only became the so-called "King of Rock and Roll" from being a liar and a thief.

Never thought I'd reply to another one of this know-it-all's nit-witted posts. If you are so ignorant to even remotely comprehend what Elvis means to the music world, well, it's just another example of how ridiculously ignorant and narrow-viewed you really are.

Knockin On Heavens Door

Sympathy for the Devil

Dust in the Wind

Jumpin' Jack Flash

Live and Let Die

The Godfather Theme

Mama Kin

Dead Flowers

Wild Horses

Voodo Chili (Hendrix)

HEARTBREAK HOTEL (Elvis)

Whole Lotta Rosie

And more. Truth is, GNR relied on covers to get off the ground... just like most artist that start out in clubs. Elvis produced countless hundreds of original songs, dozens of which were number 1 songs. GNR has NEVER had a #1 hit. You have the fucking nerve to be completely ignorant of that fact? Furthermore, you're stupid enough not to realize GNR, in comparison to their original material vs. what Elvis put out during his career, has a higer percentage of using covers than Elvis does?

A couple of things, Sweet Child O' Mine, went to 1* in the US top 100. Ergo, 1* hit. Do you have the fucking nerve to be completely ignorant of that fact? Furthermore, you're stupid enough to realise that GN'R have written a lot of stuff, aside from about those what, 12 covers? No one is questioning the impact or what Elvis did in his career, GN'R made an impact as well, in a very different era for a very different age group.

I misworded my comments... meant GNR never had more than one #1 hit. I'm not going to edit it because I'm not too worried about what a guy named 'Sandman' on a fan forum thinks of me. 'Futhermore', I realize (with a 'z') GNR has written a lot of stuff. If you haven't noticed, I'm one of their biggest fans on this forum... especially of the new band. When many come to degrade GNR, new or old, I'm usually there to put a boot up their ass. But, when someone comes along and calls the biggest musical icon of the 20th century and arguably of all time a liar and a theif, w/o doing their homework when using GNR as a measuring stick, well, that's just plain proposterous. Finally, if YOU'RE STUPID ENOUGH to compare GNR's catalogue to that of Elvis Presley in terms of scope, well, where's your sign?

The argument of Elvis and covers is complete BS. GNR's percentage of covers in their cataloge of any music they ever performed outweighs what Elvis did I'm sure. Elvis has 377 pages of albums available on Amazon alone, about 30 or so on each page. Sure, many are remastered and many 'Christmas' or holiday albums and movies, but that gives you an idea of the scope of music he did. But GNR has ONE page, and it's not even close to being full. GNR has what, about 55 songs on 5 albums they released in their career? How many are covers? 15? Guessing there, but take TSI, KOHD, Mama Kin and LALD (not to mention SFTD) and that sounds about right. So, 1 in 5 GNR songs ever released are covers. For every one cover Elvis ever did (excluding holiday albums), he probably has 20 originals to boot. Of those 20, 2-5 are probably number 1 hits.

I'm not taking anything away from GNR. I think they're the greatest thing to to ever happen in the music world for me, well, next to Pink Floyd. But, GNR's one #1 hit doesn't hold a candle to Elvis. Nor does GNR hold a candle to the legacy of Elvis Presley. Refer to the toe nail comment in my other post.

I understand all of that and I'm not even an Elvis fan. But I can appreciate what he meant to the music world. Our know-it-all thinks- she's-a-laywer friend is the first to accuse people of being narrow minded and ignorant all the time, when all she does is practice that unwittingly on her own.

If you want to be on that bandwagon, Sandman, be my guest.

Plain and simple.

Edited by Matt13

Guest Ohdistortedsmile1789
I'm sorry, but Axl doesn't even come close to the King. No one ever will. Axl may be a legend and an icon. Elvis was his own cultural revolution. As much as I am a fan of Axl, he will never EVER come close to being a fraction of what Elvis was, is, and will always be.

Great post Santana. The only comparison is The Beatles, and they were 4 men.

Knockin On Heavens Door

Sympathy for the Devil

Dust in the Wind

Jumpin' Jack Flash

Live and Let Die

The Godfather Theme

Mama Kin

Dead Flowers

Wild Horses

Voodo Chili (Hendrix)

HEARTBREAK HOTEL (Elvis)

Whole Lotta Rosie

I misworded my comments... meant GNR never had more than one #1 hit. I'm not going to edit it because I'm not too worried about what a guy named 'Sandman' on a fan forum thinks of me. 'Futhermore', I realize (with a 'z') GNR has written a lot of stuff. If you haven't noticed, I'm one of their biggest fans on this forum... especially of the new band. When many come to degrade GNR, new or old, I'm usually there to put a boot up their ass. But, when someone comes along and calls the biggest musical icon of the 20th century and arguably of all time a liar and a theif, w/o doing their homework when using GNR as a measuring stick, well, that's just plain proposterous. Finally, if YOU'RE STUPID ENOUGH to compare GNR's catalogue to that of Elvis Presley in terms of scope, well, where's your sign?

The argument of Elvis and covers is complete BS. GNR's percentage of covers in their cataloge of any music they ever performed outweighs what Elvis did I'm sure. Elvis has 377 pages of albums available on Amazon alone, about 30 or so on each page. Sure, many are remastered and many 'Christmas' or holiday albums and movies, but that gives you an idea of the scope of music he did. But GNR has ONE page, and it's not even close to being full. GNR has what, about 55 songs on 5 albums they released in their career? How many are covers? 15? Guessing there, but take TSI, KOHD, Mama Kin and LALD (not to mention SFTD) and that sounds about right. So, 1 in 5 GNR songs ever released are covers. For every one cover Elvis ever did (excluding holiday albums), he probably has 20 originals to boot. Of those 20, 2-5 are probably number 1 hits.

I'm not taking anything away from GNR. I think they're the greatest thing to to ever happen in the music world for me, well, next to Pink Floyd. But, GNR's one #1 hit doesn't hold a candle to Elvis. Nor does GNR hold a candle to the legacy of Elvis Presley. Refer to the toe nail comment in my other post.

I understand all of that and I'm not even an Elvis fan. But I can appreciate what he meant to the music world. Our know-it-all thinks- she's-a-laywer friend is the first to accuse people of being narrow minded and ignorant all the time, when all she does is practice that unwittingly on her own.

Plain and simple.

I am neither a know-it-all, as I admit when I am wrong, nor am I ignorant. Unlike Matt13, I have an open mind. Its unfortunate that he always has to resort to name calling to try to prove a point.

I am certainly not the first, and definitely not the last person to say that Elvis stole some of his music. Frankly, I don't care if he did or didn't. I have never, nor would I ever say that Axl was a bigger icon in this world than Elvis. Elvis has sold a billion records, and GNR has barely sold a fraction of that.

Edited by luvaxl4ever

But Axl wont die sitting on a toilet as a 300 lb man. That just wont happen...

:lol:

Exactly!

Umm, careful, you don't want to jinx him. From some of the past rumors, this seemed more than possible so it was good to see those latest pics. ;)

Seriously, at one time Axl and GNR were a big part of an industry. Elvis, even in death, will always BE an industry. There is no comparison here whatsoever...

Edited by Turn_It_Up

We're talking about two different generas of music here. I would compare Elvis to the backstreet boys or Nsync, but not Axl.

Axl is way more of a bad ass than Elvis ever was. You never saw Elvis dive into the crowd to kick some ass. Also, Axl tells it like it is, and doesnt worry about the controversy he may start, Elvis just sang about love and stupid cheezy shit. Again, this is my opinion and Im not speaking for Axl Rose as somebody said earlier.

How Elvis was dubbed the "King", I dont know. I never had a taste for his music but a lot of people sure have.

We're talking about two different generas of music here. I would compare Elvis to the backstreet boys or Nsync, but not Axl.

Axl is way more of a bad ass than Elvis ever was. You never saw Elvis dive into the crowd to kick some ass. Also, Axl tells it like it is, and doesnt worry about the controversy he may start, Elvis just sang about love and stupid cheezy shit. Again, this is my opinion and Im not speaking for Axl Rose as somebody said earlier.

How Elvis was dubbed the "King", I dont know. I never had a taste for his music but a lot of people sure have.

Right, he could never be the true badass Axl was: http://www.army.mil/cmh-pg/faq/elvis.htm

I'm sure those brawls with Steph and Erin could never be matched

Edited by Turn_It_Up

Knockin On Heavens Door

Sympathy for the Devil

Dust in the Wind

Jumpin' Jack Flash

Live and Let Die

The Godfather Theme

Mama Kin

Dead Flowers

Wild Horses

Voodo Chili (Hendrix)

HEARTBREAK HOTEL (Elvis)

Whole Lotta Rosie

Plain and simple.

I am neither a know-it-all, as I admit when I am wrong, nor am I ignorant. Unlike Matt13, I have an open mind. Its unfortunate that he always has to resort to name calling to try to prove a point.

I am certainly not the first, and definitely not the last person to say that Elvis stole some of his music. Frankly, I don't care if he did or didn't. I have never, nor would I ever say that Axl was a bigger icon in this world than Elvis. Elvis has sold a billion records, and GNR has barely sold a fraction of that.

"Elvis only became the so-called "King of Rock and Roll" from being a liar and a thief."

If I called you a liar and a theif, that would be name calling, wouldn't it? Your words, not mine. Refer to being unwittingly narrow minded above... not to mention hypocritical. I treat people how they treat me. Your 'my way or the highway' attitude in other threads and your treatment of other people, pretending (probably believing) like you're something of a superior being to everyone else on here, warrants the poor treatment you get from a lot of pepole on this forum.

Fact.

Right, he could never be the true badass Axl was: http://www.army.mil/cmh-pg/faq/elvis.htm

OOOOO he served in Germany in 1959. Well, so did my grandpa, and Axl is way cooler than my grandpa!

Just so you know, almost nothing happend in Germany during the Cold War until the Berlin wall fell in 89, far after Elvis' death. He didnt fight in any battles or anything, so your post is pointless.

Still going on about? You couldnt compare Elvis to BSB's, or Nsync because they were a tiny blip on the music industry. You are fucking dumb for even saying that. Elvis diddnt have to jump in the crowd and kick ass. He had his own controversy for his lyrics, and the way he danced, and lived his life. Did you forget what time Elvis was around? He sings that stuff because of the time frame, and its great music.

I think Elvis is awesome, but still like GnR just a little bit more then Elvis. The fact is though, they both fuckin rock........But why dont you get up off a Axl's dick, and realize what your saying is bullshit.

I remember when I got to go to Graceland and see his house, and it was amazing at all the gold and platinum records filled the walls. You couldnt even beleive it.

He is dubbed the King, simply because he is.

J.Walker

Your right if we were arguing about facts. This is my opinion.

I just dont like any of Elvis' music. I think it sucks compared to Guns N' Roses. If you dont, then thats great, just dont get defenceive about it... PLEASE

"I said what I meant and I've never pretended

As so many others do intending just to please

If I damned your point of view

Could you turn the other cheek"

This page is all about opinion, there is no fact backing up Elvis as a better singer, there just isnt.

"Elvis only became the so-called "King of Rock and Roll" from being a liar and a thief."

If I called you a liar and a theif, that would be name calling, wouldn't it? Your words, not mine. Refer to being unwittingly narrow minded above... not to mention hypocritical. I treat people how they treat me. Your 'my way or the highway' attitude in other threads and your treatment of other people, pretending (probably believing) like you're something of a superior being to everyone else on here, warrants the poor treatment you get from a lot of pepole on this forum.

Fact.

Hmmmm.......Did I call you any names?? Nope. You called me 3 or 4. I may say things once I have been insulted, but rarely am I the instigator. And as far as having a superiority complex??? Isn't that the pot calling the kettle black? Or do you not remember when you reamed into someone who doesn't always use proper grammar, when you yourself have incorrectly spelled "ridiculous" as "REDiculous" a number of times. Your grammar isn't always up to snuff, and then you had the audacity to call someone else out on it?! And as for poor treatment on the forum? Sorry to disappoint you, but I really haven't experienced that other than from you and shades, and a couple racist bastards. I get along with 99% of the people on this forum, even if I don't always agree with them.

EDIT: Seriously, can you stop? You certainly don't have to agree with me on anything and frankly I don't care. But let's just stop with this back and forth shall we?

Edited by luvaxl4ever

This page is all about opinion, there is no fact backing up Elvis as a better singer, there just isnt.

Fact: Elvis has sold over 1 Billon records worldwide.

Fact: 150 records and singles were certified Gold. Platinum, Multi -Platinum

Fact: 149 singles appeared on Billboard Top 100 charts in American alone.

114 were Top 40

40 were Top 10

18 were Number 1

Fact: He gave 1,100 concerts ( just from '69 to '77)

Fact: He received 3 Grammy awards as well as the Lifetime Achievement award at the age of 36

You may not think he's the better singer, but facts state otherwise.

Guest Ohdistortedsmile1789

114 were Top 40

40 were Top 10

18 were Number 1

Fact: He received 3 Grammy awards as well as the Lifetime Achievement award at the age of 36

I'm not into Elvis, but he had one of the most recognizable voices of all time.

114 were Top 40

40 were Top 10

18 were Number 1

Yes, he sold way more stuff and won some awards, good for him. But is that why I should think Elvis is a better singer, because a lot of other people do? Thats BS.

I HATE mainstream music with a passion. Everybody follows trends because everybody else does, its fuckin stupid. Thats why I still listen to bands like Guns N' Roses, AC/DC, and Aerosmith. Sure, they are great, well know bands, but they still play for the music, not as much to make money.

Those statistics mean nothing to me, thats not the point I made when I said there is no fact backing Elvis up as a better singer than Axl.

Edited by sweetness

114 were Top 40

40 were Top 10

18 were Number 1

Yes, he sold way more stuff and won some awards, good for him. But is that why I should think Elvis is a better singer, because a lot of other people do? Thats BS.

I HATE mainstream music with a passion. Everybody follows trends because everybody else does, its fuckin stupid. Thats why I still listen to bands like Guns N' Roses, AC/DC, and Aerosmith. Sure, they are great, well know bands, but they still play for the music, not as much to make money.

Those statistics mean nothing to me, thats not the point I made when I said there is no fact bacing Elvis up as a better singer.

Those facts aren't made to change your mind. Everyone has their own musical tastes and opinions. However they are undisputable numbers and statistics (not just he sold some stuff and won some awards) that no other performer, including our beloved Axl, will eever be able to achieve. In your mind he's not better, but in reality he is. Your opinion is in the minority - doesn't make it right or wrong, it just is. The ultimate Fact is that no one achieves the status that Elvis did if they were considered to be a subpar singer and performer.

114 were Top 40

40 were Top 10

18 were Number 1

Those statistics mean nothing to me, thats not the point I made when I said there is no fact bacing Elvis up as a better singer.

Those facts aren't made to change your mind. Everyone has their own musical tastes and opinions. However they are undisputable numbers and statistics (not just he sold some stuff and won some awards) that no other performer, including our beloved Axl, will eever be able to achieve. In your mind he's not better, but in reality he is. Your opinion is in the minority - doesn't make it right or wrong, it just is. The ultimate Fact is that no one achieves the status that Elvis did if they were considered to be a subpar singer and performer.

Then what is this post (axl rose / elvis presley) about? Is what we think suposed to be based on who was more succesfull? If this was all about statistics, Elvis would have won hands down and there would be no reason to post here!

"In your mind he's not better, but in reality he is."

Cool, I was speaking my mind.

OOOOO he served in Germany in 1959. Well, so did my grandpa, and Axl is way cooler than my grandpa!

So, the argument has now gone from who's more of a legend...to whose more of a badass...to whose cooler, including your Grandpa. Seems you've been whittled down, one by one, with undisputable facts.

What's next--who slept with more beautiful woman? Oh, but the King probably has him beat by a mile there, too...

Edited by Turn_It_Up

So, the argument has now gone from who's more of a legend...to whose more of a badass...to whose cooler, including your Grandpa. Seems you've been whittled down, one by one, with undisputable facts.

What's next--who slept with more beautiful woman? Oh, but the King probably has him beat by a mile there, too...

Congradulations! You have figured out that topics change in a discussion like this, way to go.

Undisputable facts? Thats funny. It is not a fact that Elvis is a better singer than Axl, thats an opinion. My opinion opposes it and I have said why. I simply just dont like any of Elvis' music, sorry. I dont care how famous he was/is, I just like Axl as a better singer.