A question that's been rolling around my mind since the leaks.

G n F n R

What if these news tracks are Axl's "big guns" that he mentioned having in 2002. Recently he supposedly told Rolling Stone at the Korn party that "Better," "There Was a Time" and "The Blues." were among his favorites. Are "big guns" and "his favorites" the same tracks? Who knows. Know most of us have heard these three tracks. I like them. I think they're solid songs like some of my favorites off of Use Your Illusion 2 and the other old albums. Now the music industry and a small part of the general public will have different expectations from us fans for what Chinese Democracy holds. I think they and us are waiting, hoping, expecting the next great rock album. I'm talking the likes of The Beatles' Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon, Led Zeppelin's Led Zeppelin IV. Basically Appetite For Destruction version 2.0. A fucking mind blowing album. A music industry changer. Could these new songs headline an album with those kinds of expectations? I don't think so. Could they be accompanying tracks to "Big Guns" on Chinese Democracy like "My Michelle", "It's So Easy", and "Mr. Brownstone" were to "Sweet Child O' Mine", "Welcome To The Jungle", and "Paradise City" on Appetite For Destruction? Hell yes I say. What are your thoughts on this?

What if these news tracks are Axl's "big guns" that he mentioned having in 2002. Recently he supposedly told Rolling Stone at the Korn party that "Better," "There Was a Time" and "The Blues." were among his favorites. Are "big guns" and "his favorites" the same tracks? Who knows. Know most of us have heard these three tracks. I like them. I think they're solid songs like some of my favorites off of Use Your Illusion 2 and the other old albums. Now the music industry and a small part of the general public will have different expectations from us fans for what Chinese Democracy holds. I think they and us are waiting, hoping, expecting the next great rock album. I'm talking the likes of The Beatles' Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon, Led Zeppelin's Led Zeppelin IV. Basically Appetite For Destruction version 2.0. A fucking mind blowing album. A music industry changer. Could these new songs headline an album with those kinds of expectations? I don't think so. Could they be accompanying tracks to "Big Guns" on Chinese Democracy like "My Michelle", "It's So Easy", and "Mr. Brownstone" were to "Sweet Child O' Mine", "Welcome To The Jungle", and "Paradise City" on Appetite For Destruction? Hell yes I say. What are your thoughts on this?

A lot of that is wishful thinking..

And when it doesn't happen,.. I hope you realize how ridiculous those expectations are..

-Kickingthehabit

And when it doesn't happen,.. I hope you realize how ridiculous those expectations are..

-Kickingthehabit

I think TWAT is a 'Big Gun'. Most of the 'Big Gun' epics are going to have strings in them... like TWAT... at least that's what seems logical. Remember, that Beltrami guy (think that's right... can somebody correct me and maybe confirm what songs that guy said he worked on?) worked on several songs, adding strings and what not. TWAT is probably one of 4 or 5 'epic' songs.

Bottom line:

Chinese Democracy: Decent.

The Blues: Pretty good, probably a top 10... based on the live version... could be a better studio version.

Maddy: Pretty good, probably a top 5 song... based on the live version. Could be a better studio version.

IRS: Pretty good rocker, probably a top 10

Better: Pretty good rocker, top 5 maybe

TWAT: AMAZING EPIC. Number 1 written all over it.

With those tracks ALONE, CD will be riding the top 40 charts for a couple years, based on popular music today. Seems to me there's a few more 'big guns' on the album that are totally secretive that are probably better than TWAT. Just my guess. If there are more 'big guns', this album will ride the to 40 wave for 3 years... no joke. If there's 10 top 40 singles, which does not sound too far off base given the material we have heard, that's a single every 2 or 3 months. At that rate, we're talking as much as 30 months or 2.5 years.

If that's the case, yes, this album may go down in history with the likes of Sgt. Peppers or DSOTM. AFD? AFD didn't really introduce a new sound... just recycled an old sound. It didn't really change the face of rock after that, either. The only band that remotely sounded anything like GNR back then was Aerosmith... who was a huge influence on the early GNR sound.

Will this album change the way music is made... or approached? I think that's really impossible. Groups like Floyd, the Beatles and Zepplin were completely new and took the guitar and rock music in general to it's limitations by influencing everyone from GNR to NIN to virtually every genre of music. All bands can do today is expand on what has already been done and create new twists.

Did Axl pull that off? No doubt about it. TWAT sounds like the old GNR, NIN, Floyd, Radiohead and Aerosmith tour busses crashed head on and TWAT was the result.

It's just amazing. Simply amazing. I love VR, so this isn't a crack at them, but this stuff completely and undoubtedly blows Contrabands stuff out of the water, off the planet and into the solar system... as well as anything else that's popular today on the radio. That's the honest to god truth. If you think otherwise, you're completely set on your ways of hating Axl, nothing more. That's ignorant basically, and to ignore the fact that these songs are incredible is just ridiculous.

All of these Slash and old GNR lovers are obviously in denial. I can only imagine what some of the old guys think. If I were them, I'd be darned near ready to blow my head off. It's a shame those guys didn't understand Axl's vision for GNR to remain successful and left. I more than anyone would love to see Slash and Duff up on stage performing these songs with Axl. But, these songs are creations of the entire new band... remember, Axl and the rest of the new members have all been very adamant about it being a collaboration. I'm sure Axl was the quarterback calling the plays, but these other guys (Fortus, Finck, Stintson, Reed, Pittman & Brain) are running the routes and scoring the touchdowns. Not Slash and Duff.

If Slash and Duff came back now and Axl went ahead with CD with Slash and Duff learning the new parts... and any of the new guys were canned... I'd lose so much respect for Axl and have a hard time accepting CD as GNR... as funny as that may sound.

GNR in my mind is this new group of guys. Hell, they've been working longer together now than the old band ever did. I think with the release of CD, what people perceive as GNR will be this new version, as this new material is just amazing. TWAT vs. November Rain? No contest... TWAT. And I consider NR an A1 tune.

CD is going to raise the bar, very high, no doubt about it.

Edited by Matt13

-Kickingthehabit

You should kick the habit of being a dumbass. Wishful thinking? I didn't say I was sure Chinese Democracy would be up to par with those albums. I was saying that fans and music industry people make the album out be to be the second coming of Christ. That's the feel I've gotten over the past 3-4 years.

-Kickingthehabit

I think TWAT is a 'Big Gun'. Most of the 'Big Gun' epics are going to have strings in them... like TWAT... at least that's what seems logical. Remember, that Beltrami guy (think that's right... can somebody correct me and maybe confirm what songs that guy said he worked on?) worked on several songs, adding strings and what not. TWAT is probably one of 4 or 5 'epic' songs.

Bottom line:

Chinese Democracy: Decent.

The Blues: Pretty good, probably a top 10... based on the live version... could be a better studio version.

Maddy: Pretty good, probably a top 5 song... based on the live version. Could be a better studio version.

IRS: Pretty good rocker, probably a top 10

Better: Pretty good rocker, top 5 maybe

TWAT: AMAZING EPIC. Number 1 written all over it.

With those tracks ALONE, CD will be riding the top 40 charts for a couple years, based on popular music today. Seems to me there's a few more 'big guns' on the album that are totally secretive that are probably better than TWAT. Just my guess. If there are more 'big guns', this album will ride the to 40 wave for 3 years... no joke. If there's 10 top 40 singles, which does not sound too far off base given the material we have heard, that's a single every 2 or 3 months. At that rate, we're talking as much as 30 months or 2.5 years.

If that's the case, yes, this album may go down in history with the likes of Sgt. Peppers or DSOTM. AFD? AFD didn't really introduce a new sound... just recycled an old sound. It didn't really change the face of rock after that, either. The only band that remotely sounded anything like GNR back then was Aerosmith... who was a huge influence on the early GNR sound.

Will this album change the way music is made... or approached? I think that's really impossible. Groups like Floyd, the Beatles and Zepplin were completely new and took the guitar and rock music in general to it's limitations by influencing everyone from GNR to NIN to virtually every genre of music. All bands can do today is expand on what has already been done and create new twists.

Did Axl pull that off? No doubt about it. TWAT sounds like the old GNR, NIN, Floyd, Radiohead and Aerosmith tour busses crashed head on and TWAT was the result.

It's just amazing. Simply amazing. I love VR, so this isn't a crack at them, but this stuff completely and undoubtedly blows Contrabands stuff out of the water, off the planet and into the solar system... as well as anything else that's popular today on the radio. That's the honest to god truth. If you think otherwise, you're completely set on your ways of hating Axl, nothing more. That's ignorant basically, and to ignore the fact that these songs are incredible is just ridiculous.

All of these Slash and old GNR lovers are obviously in denial. I can only imagine what some of the old guys think. If I were them, I'd be darned near ready to blow my head off. It's a shame those guys didn't understand Axl's vision for GNR to remain successful and left. I more than anyone would love to see Slash and Duff up on stage performing these songs with Axl. But, these songs are creations of the entire new band... remember, Axl and the rest of the new members have all been very adamant about it being a collaboration. I'm sure Axl was the quarterback calling the plays, but these other guys (Fortus, Finck, Stintson, Reed, Pittman & Brain) are running the routes and scoring the touchdowns. Not Slash and Duff.

If Slash and Duff came back now and Axl went ahead with CD with Slash and Duff learning the new parts... and any of the new guys were canned... I'd lose so much respect for Axl and have a hard time accepting CD as GNR... as funny as that may sound.

GNR in my mind is this new group of guys. Hell, they've been working longer together now than the old band ever did. I think with the release of CD, what people perceive as GNR will be this new version, as this new material is just amazing. TWAT vs. November Rain? No contest... TWAT. And I consider NR an A1 tune.

CD is going to raise the bar, very high, no doubt about it.

post of the week, right there

humour, facts, opinions, and I agree completly!!!

good on you

-Kickingthehabit

You should kick the habit of being a dumbass. Wishful thinking? I didn't say I was sure Chinese Democracy would be up to par with those albums. I was saying that fans and music industry people make the album out be to be the second coming of Christ. That's the feel I've gotten over the past 3-4 years.

Why are you so hostile?

You specifically said that you, and others, we're hoping for a colossal record..

"Basically Appetite For Destruction version 2.0. A fucking mind blowing album. A music industry changer."

From what I've heard,.. the material that Axl has recorded does not live up to the hype, nor does it expand on anything that the original Guns N' Roses created.

I think it's obvious that Rose decided to stick with the Guns N' Roses formula -- hell, Buckethead's solo on TWAT is textbook Slash, and it's shameless.

In reality,.. songs like IRS, Better and Madagascar are compiled of power chords -- it's basic stuff. That doesn't necessarily mean this material isn't good..

Chinese Democracy will be a solid album,.. and there is a vested interest in seeing it succeed.

I'm merely hard pressed to believe that this is the material that will change the entire music scene. Why? It just simply isn't innovative -- it's catchy, yes,.. it's new to the ears,.. of course -- but that's about it.

I've noticed that over the years, many have complained about the direction of rock -- labelling it 'emo', in regards to it's self-deprivation..

And yet, Madagascar, Better, The Blues and There Was A Time all relate to losing love, or being lost. Isn't this all too familiar?

I'm not condemning the project, nor do I hope it results in failure.. but this talk of global domination is ridiculous. One member on this board even claimed that Axl's record will put him in the same league as John Lennon and Elvis Presley.

When I hear things like this,.. it narrows my entire perspective on this board to two options. Either, you're all hallucinating in your anticipation-- or, you're all idiots.

I know it sounds rude, and arrogant.. but it's the truth.

Wait for the record to be released,.. and watch how the world reacts. Only then will your wet dreams be proven right,.. or wrong..

Remember,.. this isn't the same Guns N' Roses that the world remembers.

-Kickingthehabit

-Kickingthehabit

Why are you so hostile?

You specifically said that you, and others, we're hoping for a colossal record..

"Basically Appetite For Destruction version 2.0. A fucking mind blowing album. A music industry changer."

From what I've heard,.. the material that Axl has recorded does not live up to the hype, nor does it expand on anything that the original Guns N' Roses created.

I think it's obvious that Rose decided to stick with the Guns N' Roses formula -- hell, Buckethead's solo on TWAT is textbook Slash, and it's shameless.

In reality,.. songs like IRS, Better and Madagascar are compiled of power chords -- it's basic stuff. That doesn't necessarily mean this material isn't good..

Chinese Democracy will be a solid album,.. and there is a vested interest in seeing it succeed.

I'm merely hard pressed to believe that this is the material that will change the entire music scene. Why? It just simply isn't innovative -- it's catchy, yes,.. it's new to the ears,.. of course -- but that's about it.

I've noticed that over the years, many have complained about the direction of rock -- labelling it 'emo', in regards to it's self-deprivation..

And yet, Madagascar, Better, The Blues and There Was A Time all relate to losing love, or being lost. Isn't this all too familiar?

I'm not condemning the project, nor do I hope it results in failure.. but this talk of global domination is ridiculous. One member on this board even claimed that Axl's record will put him in the same league as John Lennon and Elvis Presley.

When I hear things like this,.. it narrows my entire perspective on this board to two options. Either, you're all hallucinating in your anticipation-- or, you're all idiots.

Wait for the record to be released,.. and watch how the world reacts. Only then will your wet dreams be proven right,.. or wrong..

-Kickingthehabit

You're still missing what I was trying to get across in my original post. I hope it's a landmark album but all my hopes or any other fans here wont guarantee that. One of the fans above posted what they thought the new songs would chart on the top 100. I think those numbers are unrealistic for those songs.

"From what I've heard,.. the material that Axl has recorded does not live up to the hype, nor does it expand on anything that the original Guns N' Roses created.

I'm merely hard pressed to believe that this is the material that will change the entire music scene. Why? It just simply isn't innovative -- it's catchy, yes,.. it's new to the ears,.. of course -- but that's about it."

Some interesting thoughts. I agree with some of it. None of the new songs heard yet have been a match for the likes of "Sweet Child O' Mine", "November Rain", "Welcome To The Jungle", "Estranged", or "Paradise City" in my opinion.

"I've noticed that over the years, many have complained about the direction of rock -- labelling it 'emo', in regards to it's self-deprivation..

And yet, Madagascar, Better, The Blues and There Was A Time all relate to losing love, or being lost. Isn't this all too familiar?"

Emo is a style of music. To me it sounds like emotional punk trash. They hardly ever have good hooks, decent melodies, anyone could pull that out of their ass. Songs can have similar themes but be in completely different genres. I think that's pretty obvious. Love and loss can be in emo or hard rock or anything.

"When I hear things like this,.. it narrows my entire perspective on this board to two options. Either, you're all hallucinating in your anticipation-- or, you're all idiots.

I know it sounds rude, and arrogant.. but it's the truth."

Sift through the bullshit. Some post just to get a rise out of others. There are good opinions on this board. You just have to look for them. As for your opinions. You can state them without being rude or arrogant.

"Wait for the record to be released,.. and watch how the world reacts. Only then will your wet dreams be proven right,.. or wrong.."

I'm with you on this until you mention wet dreams. Then I'm thinking how old is this kid to be mentioning wet dreams instead of having a good discussion about an album.

"Remember,.. this isn't the same Guns N' Roses that the world remembers."

Another statement I agree with you on.

Edited by G n F n R

Of course can´t be the classic ones ... no way.

-Kickingthehabit

Why are you so hostile?

-Kickingthehabit

I like this post

here have a smiley

:chef:

no no you keep it, you earned that little fella

Edited by Mr Estranged

Hey Gunners,

Following a few trains of thought, and some thinking outside the box, what happens if all the songs we've heard so far are not going to be on the new CD? Indeed, if it's not called Chinese Democracy.

Axl, could feasibly have been either testing those songs or the leaks (don't bother asking for 'em), to see what the current market, or indeed what critics thought of them. Oh My God got a really bad press, and therefore that may not be on the album. Even by the general concensus on the forum, Silkworms and Rhiad have been 'written off' as songs that are not up to Uncle Ax's normal calibre. Many didn't like I.R.S, and changed their opinion from the leak, I've even heard of a few people who liked the first and not the leak (wierd, but they prefered that wierdo distorted sound).

Remember Axl said he was holding back the 'big guns', and to me, songs such as Maddy and The Blues seemed pretty big. Judging by the reaction to those and the new songs, it'd go down really well. Or is Axl going to tempt us in and hit us with something that's completely different from what we are all expecting.

I'm just pondering this all, but it may not even be called Chinese Democracy. I mean, there has been so much hype and what not, and empty promises(ish), so he could easily give it a new name, with new tracks, that no-one has heard before. Again, I'm pondering, but all the songs 'by' the 'New GN'R' that we know and love, may never see the studio light of day. Again, I'm just thinking about all of this, but would you be dissapointed if it's a different style to what you'd expect? I'm sure you'd still buy it, but would you put it near the top of your 'listening pile'?

Or, Axl may decide to put, like Madonna did, the album straight onto the internet. It would lead to a loss in savings, but perhaps if the cost of buying online is slightly cheaper than stores, and would cost less for production, despite piracy, it may do better and stand a chance of recouping that 13mil.

Anyway, just pondering thoughts.

The Sandman.

If these songs are not on Chinese Democracy then fuck me- the album is going to be mindblowing :shocked:

However, the songs will be on Chinese Democracy as someone else stated, Better and There Was A Time are Axl's favourites.

I want the album as a CD not accross the internet.

There is now way they can't put ''There Was A Time'' and ''Better'' on Chinese Democracy(I'm confident it's called that).

I agree.

If they dont release studio versions of The Blues, I.R.S, Better and TWAT, Im going to be disappointed. As great as these leaked songs are, I can only imagine how the finished studio versions of these songs will sound.

If these songs are not on Chinese Democracy then fuck me- the album is going to be mindblowing :shocked:

However, the songs will be on Chinese Democracy as someone else stated, Better and There Was A Time are Axl's favourites.

couldn't have said it better