I wanna know what you think...

gunsguy

I mean they are so overprotective there, type in democracy in google how many results? millions, if your in China how many .?? ZERO!

so will they be able to sell it there? Or will Axl have to make a name change just to be able to sell it there?

just thought of this

Gunsguy

I think the album may be seen as a rebellious title. I think it will sell well. But China now has the fastest growing economy and isn't doing that badly as a communist nation. I hope that the album does well there. But from what I can tell only the song Chinese Democracy has any relevant political message.

There's no way that "chinese democracy" song will be allowed there. I doubt that a album with the same name will be banned too, regardless of its content. Keep in mind that the song contains some references that chinese govt. won't like.

The funny thing is that i bet that this album will circulate a lot in the "black market" there. :}

There's no way that "chinese democracy" song will be allowed there. I doubt that a album with the same name will be banned too, regardless of its content. Keep in mind that the song contains some references that chinese govt. won't like.

The funny thing is that i bet that this album will circulate a lot in the "black market" there. :}

totally agree. I don't think it will be sold but will have a huge black market presence(sp?).

Plus wasn't Chinese Democracy inspired by the film "Kundun", starring Richard Gere, which deals with the struggle of Tibet against the Chinese government? Yeah, something tells me China won't be too fond of that song. I'm surprised they haven't pulled whatever GNR albums are approved over there already, but I guess they don't really pay to close attention to stuff like that.

08.14.02 - Summer Sonic Festival, Hall 3, Hong Kong Convention And Exhibition Centre, Hong Kong, China

opening acts: Fake?

attendance: 2,000 +/-

set: Welcome To The Jungle, It's So Easy, Mr. Browstone, Live And Let Die, Think About You, You Could Be Mine, Sweet Child O'Mine, Knockin' On Heaven's Door, Out Ta Get Me, Madagascar, Guitar Solo [buckethead], Piano Solo, November Rain, Rocket Queen, Chinese Democracy, Patience, The Blues, My Michelle, Nightrain

encore: Paradise City

audio/video recording?: no

notes: GN’R hit the stage around 10 p.m., about 90 minutes after the opening band, for their first-ever concert in China. The lineup was Axl, Dizzy, Chris Pitman, Robin Finck, Buckethead, Brain, Tommy Stinson & newly-added rhythm guitarist Richard Fortus. During Buckethead’s solo, he played parts of the ‘Star Wars Theme’ and ‘Pirates Of The Caribbean.’ Buckethead also did his famous nunchuk dance, during which he threw his nunchuks into the crowd. Before ‘Chinese Democracy,’ Axl explained the title of the album and showed the crowd [on the video screen] the artwork for the new album. The artwork is black and white and features a bicycle, with a wall behind it that someone painted with “Guns N’ Roses!!” The video screen at the start of ‘Paradise City’ depicted the flag of China, then several shots of Hong Kong from a car and a helicopter. During the song, pyros and fireworks were shot off followed by shots of red and yellow confetti, which then fell from the ceiling.

R.

Hong Kong is a little different. It is under China, but they have their own government. They are under pressure from China (a little more than people would like), their chief executive is appointed by China, but they do get to elect their own legislators. It is kind of a Chinese Democracy, which made it a very appropriate place for Axl to launch his tour. Any albums you can think of are freely available there, in legit shops.

Thought I would add a little on this topic - I live in China. :P

Here in Kunming you can buy any G n' R CD at the markets - pirated, of course, but they're still available and are one of the more popular bands right now amongst teenagers who like rock music. In China, go back about 10-15 years and that's the kind of American music that's popular in China right now.

As for Chinese democracy being available legit, I would have to definitely say NO WAY. But, that being said, the black market totally undermines any control on content by the Communist Party - their own economic reforms are bringing about their downfall - it's just a matter of time.

So, I either have to get a friend to sneak it into China for me (maybe they won't understand the English?) or go for it at the black market, but I really wouldn't want to do that.

Any others here in China?

For a legitimate release, the album would have to change it's name, remove any anti-government sentiment, and have no association to 'democracy'..

The People's Republic of China enforces strict censorship,.. and such an album would be perceived as a threat to its power.

I'm not kidding..

Just recently the country announced a ban on cartoons that blend animation with live-action actors..

Welcome to the 21st Century..

-Kickingthehabit

I live in Shanghai and you can get all GNR's cds. I even got Hollywood Rose - no joke. They are all high quality fakes I'm sure but you can't tell the difference. It's the Wild East don't you know.

I've been to Kunming. On the way to Luhu Lake. Very nice.