Lodging, Dining, Transportation questions

drtydane

Im from chicago, so im used to all that. I am just worried about prices. And i am not driving. What are the chances of getting a room the day of? Probably not to good i would assume. birk

Chances of getting a room? Pretty good.

Chances of getting a room under $200 a night? Pretty much nil.

If you walk in off the street, the day of, unless you get a very friendly desk person, you're probably going to pay rack rate. Nobody pays rack rate.

That room you can find on the net for $175 a night? Rack will be about $225+ a night, usually, at least.

Hows the area around MSG/Hammerstein? I've got the regency Inn booked for 150 b4 tax which is a block away from the hammerstein. I'd like to think with 3,000 people filing out of the building at 1 or whenevr the show ends it will be safe to walk a block.i don't need anything great..I'll just be sleeping there sunday night afterthe show until around 9. So For 8 hours it doesnt need to be great, just semi-clean and safe.

Its midtown Manhattan. It's a bit touristy and filled with chain restaurants and bars, but it's safe as any Main Street, USA. You could walk down the street at 3AM (and lots of people are) and be safe, provided you're not stupid (as is the case pretty much anywhere).

sorry for the lame question from Small Town America with the (most likely) obvious answer, but is this really feasible? is the airport (LaGuardia) open 24 hours? could you conceivably take a cab to the airport at 1 or 2am and just hang out there until a 6 or 7am flight without being hassled by either criminals or police/security?

Yup. To a point (security may ask to see a ticket if you're hanging around). I THINK there may be a limit on how early you can check your bags for your flight (4 hours, I think?), but, other than that.....

Same with Penn Station. Cops will ask to see a ticket, but...if you've got one, you can hang out there all night long.

I am staying at the:

Milford Plaza

800-346-8357

270 W 45th St

New York, NY 10036

Anyone see a problem with just driving directly to the hotel during the day and parking in there parking garage? I know the parking will be expensive but oh well.

No problem other than driving in Midtown traffic sucks. :)

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn. So where should i fly into???? Luguardia has no train or bus service to manhattan???birk

Yeah they do. I usually take the NY Airport Service bus ($14 each way). Go out the front of the airport and go all the way to the right. You'll pass a bunch of taxi booths and it's right past the last one. Right before the bus arrives a guy with a NY Airport Service jacket will take your cash as the bus pulls up. They'll drop you off at most hotels in Manhatttan or Penn Station. http://www.nyairportservice.com. Don't forget to tip! If all else fails, just spend the extra $ on a taxi.

So there is a subway train at JFK to manhattan? Price? Is there one at Laguardia? birk

There's no train service from LaGuardia into Manhattan. But they do have shuttle buses that drop you off at Penn Station and you can walk from there.

There's a train from JFK that drops you off into Queens and you have to get on the Long Island Railroad or the subway and get into the city from there.

Not sure about prices. I'm sure there are numbers you can call.

Someone mentioned staying at one of the hotels by LaGuardia which is a good idea. You're only about 20 min. or so from Manhattan. Don't go for the no name motels in the area though. They charge by the hour.

I figured I would chime in here, my girl and I are staying at the Ramada Inn and it's right across the street from the Ballroom. It cost us $175.00 for the night, but it's well worth it for me to be so close to everything and to be able to crash right after the festivities.

A suggestion for those of you possibly looking to split rooms.. I found a great hotel right across from Penn Station "Hotel Affinia Manhattan" (got insanely good reviews, too). This place has studio & one bedroom suites. Might be a good idea if you've got 2 or more in one room - could give you a bit more room to spread out. Prices seem consistent w/ the rest of Midtown Manhattan.

-darknemus

A suggestion for those of you possibly looking to split rooms.. I found a great hotel right across from Penn Station "Hotel Affinia Manhattan" (got insanely good reviews, too). This place has studio & one bedroom suites. Might be a good idea if you've got 2 or more in one room - could give you a bit more room to spread out. Prices seem consistent w/ the rest of Midtown Manhattan.

-darknemus

Yes that's where i'll prolly be staying.

Ok, I'm coming from Maine, does anyone know of a good cheap palce to park, and then get to Penn Station from?

-darknemus

Ok, I'm coming from Maine, does anyone know of a good cheap palce to park, and then get to Penn Station from?

There's no such thing as a cheap place to park in NYC..it usually costs about $20. for just 3 hours..some garages have special rates. Check with the hotel you are staying in..some of them are affiliated with a specific parking garage so they'll stamp your garage ticket and you'll get it at a discounted rate.

-darknemus

There is NOWHERE in Manhattan where you can park all day for free unless you move your car. And you will still likely encounter a few hours without parking. This is of course assuming, you are there to feed the meters if neccissary. There are a few parking garages that will charge you under $20, but you mut get there before 7:00 AM. And they are all the way on the west side. Not a terrible walk or cab-ride. If you are bringing a car, I suggest staying in New Jersey. Look for hotels and motels in coastal NJ in Bergen & Hudson Counties. Bergen County has easy access to the George Washington Bridge. Hudson County has the Lincoln & Holland Tunnels. So there is easy access to NYC. It is only several extra minutes of a drive.

Personally I don't think it's worth it to trek from Jersey into the city. After gas and tolls, not to mention the traffic, you're not saving much. Parking at a garage by the Garden is going to run at least $40 for the night. Good Lord, some people are trying to save pennies here! You're coming to NYC to see GNR. It's gonna cost ya'.... Deal with it. :)

Yeah i dont plan on parking in the city, i was more refering to parking in NJ or at one of the airports... Im going to be there 3 night and just need the car for the long drive down. The hotel is right by Penn Station so i was wondering if anyone new a place to park and hop a train or subway to P.S.

-darknemus

Where in Maine are you from? Im takin the bus from portland to boston, and one from boston to nyc for the 17th.

-darknemus

Where in Maine are you from? Im takin the bus from portland to boston, and one from boston to nyc for the 17th.

Ill be coming from Orono, and ill have 3 other people with me so it shouldnt be too expensive to drive. I just need a place to leave the car for 3 days.

I'm going to the show on the fourteenth...and staying in new jersey :o

sorry madison - i never double bolt my doors...i triple bolt them and get a guard dog to rip out the balls of anyone that comes 10 feet within the radius of my house.

they have a field day on halloween :rolleyes:

Steve, I was talking about Newark, New Jersey.

I wouldn't recommend anyone stay in Newark - unless they were prepared to triple lock their doors and maybe bring their own gun along. :D

I'm going to the show on the fourteenth...and staying in new jersey :o

sorry madison - i never double bolt my doors...i triple bolt them and get a guard dog to rip out the balls of anyone that comes 10 feet within the radius of my house.

they have a field day on halloween :rolleyes:

Steve, I was talking about Newark, New Jersey.

I wouldn't recommend anyone stay in Newark - unless they were prepared to triple lock their doors and maybe bring their own gun along. :D

wait........ isn't that america in general? :P

I'm going to be staying in Manhattan from the afternoon of the 14th till the evening of the 17th. Would it be a good idea to get a weeklong subway/bus pass? How is it price wise/speed wise versus riding in cabs? Thanks B)

Yes, buying a week-long subway pass would be a good idea if you plan to shop and tour around the city. The subways are fast and safe. A week pass is about $24 - but it's well worth it since a single fare is $2 and a one-day pass is $7.